HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:54 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
HOBBYZONE's "customer service" is un-real! i told them about my second reciever not working properly.they asked me if any damage was done as result of the "failed reciever" and i said there was,but fixable,.. they asked me if they replaced the reciever,fuse and wing/aileron if that would make me happy? hells yea! i said,.. so done deal,.. my first reciever only had a failed "rudder servo" so ima switch and beable to still fly =D till new stuff comes in =) im very pleased with their consern in making customers happy,... as we all know that bad news somtimes travels faster than good news. "i was seriously gunna pack it in guys" lol!
B.C.NEWFIE is offline Find More Posts by B.C.NEWFIE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:15 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,607 Posts
Yeah, the receiver is pretty whimpy on the PC due to the way things are set up.

Also, I have to ask if you have teenagers around you a lot.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:29 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Yeah, the receiver is pretty whimpy on the PC due to the way things are set up.

Also, I have to ask if you have teenagers around you a lot.

funny you asked that question,..and it's yes lol. and why you ask?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:31 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.NEWFIE View Post
X g/f's kids and friends,.. now with all this rc stuff,. they're realy interested
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:06 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Just the words you type and the way you type them in contrast with your picture lead me to that conclusion
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:18 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Just the words you type and the way you type them in contrast with your picture lead me to that conclusion
lol! yep,. i was thinkin you'd say that lol! might be a lil in-mature for my age a lil also =) young at heart and laughter keeps me that way!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:35 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
here's a question,. while i was talking to the Hobbyone guy ,i mentioned about my lil "motor problems" lol. he said to run the motor in a glass of water??? to break it in? ive heard this before,but i dont know about that,or would it acualy be beneficial in doin it.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:09 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,607 Posts
That sounds kinda silly to me, but then again I try to keep water away from electronics. I do try to break in my motors however just like real engines.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:40 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
That sounds kinda silly to me, but then again I try to keep water away from electronics. I do try to break in my motors however just like real engines.
yes i think it's a good idea to be mellow and @ lower rpms at the beginning to "seat" the brushes in. lol "but as you well know,seems to be no difference with this pilot's motors"
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:15 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,607 Posts
Quote:
yes i think it's a good idea to be mellow and @ lower rpms at the beginning to "seat" the brushes in. lol "but as you well know,seems to be no difference with this pilot's motors"
We need to meet up at some point and fly our planes. If that won't work, get one of those teens to video your flying. I am curious to see your style in the sky.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:25 AM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
here's a question,. while i was talking to the Hobbyone guy ,i mentioned about my lil "motor problems" lol. he said to run the motor in a glass of water??? to break it in? ive heard this before,but i dont know about that,or would it acualy be beneficial in doin it.
Hi B.C.NEWFIE! "Breaking In" an electric motor in water is a time honored tradition. There is plenty of lore surrounding it. My opinion is that while useful for some applications, the lifespan of these little motors is too small to use any of it up trying to break it in, and IIRC the brushes in these little motors are actually small wires held against the commutator.

Originally it was meant to "seat" (shape the square brushes to the round commutator) the brushes in a brushed motor, with water providing cooling and washing away the residue. Which is why if the brushes in these little motors are just wire tensioned against the commutator, when they are "broken in" they are probably halfway wore through.

If you want to try it, distilled water helps keep from leaving deposits, and some folks use alcohol to dry out faster.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brea...electric+motor

v/r,
C-F
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:26 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONFODDER0 View Post
Hi B.C.NEWFIE! "Breaking In" an electric motor in water is a time honored tradition. There is plenty of lore surrounding it. My opinion is that while useful for some applications, the lifespan of these little motors is too small to use any of it up trying to break it in, and IIRC the brushes in these little motors are actually small wires held against the commutator.

Originally it was meant to "seat" (shape the square brushes to the round commutator) the brushes in a brushed motor, with water providing cooling and washing away the residue. Which is why if the brushes in these little motors are just wire tensioned against the commutator, when they are "broken in" they are probably halfway wore through.

If you want to try it, distilled water helps keep from leaving deposits, and some folks use alcohol to dry out faster.

v/r,
C-F

thank you soo much for that info,i've been searching for that answer for some time now,and i personaly didnt realy think that it would make much of a difference as i opened up my share of these lil' motors to see for myself on accasion to why i was "burning" them out.seems like im not realy,and just getting the life span of them in a very short time as i love to fly often also heat is a killer to them also im assuming,so i've been making sure i have a break between flights.i have seen somwhere to as people put on " i dont know what there called" but it's a metal shroud that goes around the motor to help disperse the heat.have you seen this,and if so would it acualy work to keep motor cooler and help the prolong the life of them?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:29 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONFODDER0 View Post
If you want to try it, .... some folks use alcohol ....
I did that one evening, didn't help the plane one bit! Maybe that's why I lost it off in the distance.

Yes, we used to break in our Speed 280's, 300's, and 400's using the water technique. Then came brushless motors, what an upgrade! I also would recommend against a water break-in procedure on these small micro motors, i.e. PKZ3616. They are marginal in their quality control to begin with, from my past experiences.

Thanks for the brushed motor break-in link. Good info to keep on hand.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:37 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
We need to meet up at some point and fly our planes. If that won't work, get one of those teens to video your flying. I am curious to see your style in the sky.
meeting up would be very cool but are you close to the town of Port alberni on Vancover Island, British Columbia./Canada? probably not im thinking lol.but i like that idea,.. i've been wanting to video my flights anyways. O.K. then,that will be my new next thing to do and i'll try to gitter-done today if i can
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
...but are you close to the town of Port alberni on Vancover Island, British Columbia./Canada?
FWIW: I am a fair distance from your QTH, but have had the opportunity to travel in and around BC, notably Powell River, Quesnel, Port Albernie, Crofton, Elk Falls, Victoria, New Westminster, Vancouver, Kamloops. Haven't been back in the area since 2005. In my opinion, unsolicited as it is, BC is one of the prettiest Provinces in Canada, one of the few places you can go skiing in the morning, then get in some fine sailing in the late afternoon! (Whistler/Vancouver).

Feel free to remind me why you wish to run a Champ motor in the Pole Cat.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac