HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:44 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
i still fly my Champ and use the transmitter for my polecat,.. the range is quite good.i can stand in the middle of a soccer field and fly it to both ends,.. but if i had more $$$ i definetly would have dx6 transmitter for polecat,i probably no-dout would have had less accidents i believe,.... "well i think i would have had less" I still use stock Champ transmitter.and fly it smoothy now but not at first
B.C.NEWFIE is offline Find More Posts by B.C.NEWFIE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:53 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
That makes more sense now. I personally would recommend the Champ over the Cub. That could be because I love my Champ and have never flown a Cub though.
i still love my "ol'faithful reliable" Champ,.. i have broke off the wings like 5 times "clue n tape"=) ive broke it in half three times 2 by motor,. 1 by tail.i also killed the tail feathers on it long ago,.. i traced-out the tail parts on an egg carton lid and it flys great still!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.NEWFIE View Post
i still fly my Champ and use the transmitter for my polecat,.. the range is quite good.i can stand in the middle of a soccer field and fly it to both ends,.. but if i had more $$$ i definetly would have dx6 transmitter for polecat,i probably no-dout would have had less accidents i believe,.... "well i think i would have had less" I still use stock Champ transmitter.and fly it smoothy now but not at first
yes, not impossible but not a long term/quality solution and if you buy the Polecat as your first plane (to get back into it), you need to choose a Tx to fly it
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I use a homebuilt CG machine to check locations. Normally I set my planes slightly nose heavy from factory spec until I fly it several times then adjust to my liking. I don't have the nose-up problem you are with my setup on either of my PoleCats. I do use Hyperion 1S batteries and a 5043 props. Performance increases slightly.

Where are you locating your battery?
It is just a tad aft of centered in the battery cut-out compartment. This puts the model balancing per the instructions.

Most models I've flown like a "slight" nose down attitude when balanced according to the plans. I think the Pole Cat calls for 22 cm aft of leading edge. As the CG moves aft from the recommended point, the aircraft becomes less stable which is good for snap rolls and other type acro, but not so good for stable approaches at slow speeds.

Quite a few models that I've seen the owners condemn as "squirrely", just needed the CG moved forward. Less excitement, but fewer crashes!

Like most things aeronautical, it is a complex set of trade-offs to determine "optimum".
mooneymite is offline Find More Posts by mooneymite
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
yes, not impossible but not a long term/quality solution and if you buy the Polecat as your first plane (to get back into it), you need to choose a Tx to fly it
yes well absolutly,..yep i need to save my pennies for a dx6i.i would be a "happy camper"
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:43 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
ima using thunder power 160 mah 25c batteries but running 130X70 prop.what difference have you found in running 5043 prop?
Very little difference. I really don't see the need to use any other than the stock prop and I've got 5043's on both my PoleCats. The 240mah 25C Hyperion batteries gives me several minutes additional flight time plus a boost in power for the first 3-4 minutes.
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,849 Posts
Quote:
i still love my "ol'faithful reliable" Champ,.. i have broke off the wings like 5 times "clue n tape"=) ive broke it in half three times 2 by motor,. 1 by tail.i also killed the tail feathers on it long ago,.. i traced-out the tail parts on an egg carton lid and it flys great still!
So far, the only thing I have had to replace is the tail section. I have had to repair it a few times, but have only paid for the glue and tail parts once.

Quote:
yes well absolutly,..yep i need to save my pennies for a dx6i.i would be a "happy camper"
The upgrade to the DX6i was worth every penny. It allowed me to ease into flights with my P-51 without crashing it every time. I am impressed that you can fly your PC with that controller, but then again, you probably have logged a lot of flight time too given the amount of time you spend flying. Still, that is impressive!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:55 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
So far, the only thing I have had to replace is the tail section. I have had to repair it a few times, but have only paid for the glue and tail parts once.

The upgrade to the DX6i was worth every penny. It allowed me to ease into flights with my P-51 without crashing it every time. I am impressed that you can fly your PC with that controller, but then again, you probably have logged a lot of flight time too given the amount of time you spend flying. Still, that is impressive!
=D yes i do fly often lol! as much as i can,.. maybe too much but ima having fun regardless =)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:01 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,849 Posts
No such thing as too much!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:05 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
so i think i finnaly figured out my multi motor failures/replacments.ive been mixing motors with different motor mounts,..the other day i bought a "motor/mount" combo,. well it ran soo smooth and quiet.it was unbelievable compared to what i have been experiencing for the last long while.seems to me that say Champ mount with mustang motor,. the teeth dont mesh so nicely and not so free spinning as it would be if they were combined with "champ motor,champ mount" i m thinking i have been simply stressing/heating up the motor that way and burning them out! =( i think thats whats happening. i'll keep yea guys posted lol. Always learning from mistakes,but learning " i hope"
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:08 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
No such thing as too much!
i totaly agree with yea!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:

hair trigger controling thoe lol!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:55 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,849 Posts
I am glad you finally figured out the issue! And I bet flying the PC with that controller is a rush. I get tense flying mine without that controller, so I can only imagine!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:34 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
I am glad you finally figured out the issue! And I bet flying the PC with that controller is a rush. I get tense flying mine without that controller, so I can only imagine!
you bet! my heart gets a pounding at times as it like flying on "rails" with like i said "hair trigger" lol.at first my plane looked very robotic or not smooth at all with each movment of the controls,..but with practice i fly it smoothly now even with the rudder adjusters and elevator adjustors moved in four settings in from default,i dont dare do that with the airlerions lmao! so yea when im yanking on the stick it's very responive! but it's very hard to control if i start "losing it" because peeps and myself would over compinsate to correct and then find myself all over freaking-out till i get my composure back lol! a lil' freakish but fun and like you were saying about the rush,.. yep i like it alot!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
got some bad news thoe with my polecat =( yesterday when i put in my champ motor and champ mount in polecat,i was flying it no problem and taking it easy.i was taking a turn and found myself with no controls of my elevator or rudder for as the plane kept turning till crash "wasnt too hard of one at all "on inspection,.. motor worked fine,.. airlerions worked fine,. but absolutly nothing,. no sound zero from rudder and elevator =( Hobbyzone already gave me a replacment reciever as the rudder before wouldnt work,is/would this be a common problem with polecats? or are the recievers just very fragile to even the smallest of hard landings?