SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,273 Posts
I think I see the reasoning behind it.

Coming back to RC flying after a long break it might make more sense to try a high wing plane first. I don't go the High Wing Trainer route, same as I learnt to fly a CP heli first.
Both times I was nearly put off for good!

So if I had to start over, yes it would be High Wing and a Cub sure has more character than a Cessna or the like...

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Yeah, I haven't heard that comment before. I would love to hear the reasons why.
He says he hasn't flown for a while. The PC is not a first good choice to start again with. It is overpriced, underpowered, has servo issues and generally is a handful for a flier with limited experience. Buying another does not guarantee it is any better than the first.

The Hobbyzone SuperCub is easy to fly then easy to modify when one gets their experience level up, it is relatively inexpensive and easy to repair.
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I think I see the reasoning behind it.

Coming back to RC flying after a long break it might make more sense to try a high wing plane first. I don't go the High Wing Trainer route, same as I learnt to fly a CP heli first.
Both times I was nearly put off for good!

So if I had to start over, yes it would be High Wing and a Cub sure has more character than a Cessna or the like...

Tony
BINGO...Tony. A high wing trainer like the Hobbyzone SuperCub, or a similar high wing trainer, would be a good choice. The PoleCat, and I have two, is better left at the hobby store until you have more experience. If I knew then what I know now about the PoleCat and the Corsair I would not have bought them. I fly both and have modified my UM Corsair with a brushless motor and 2S batteries. The Corsair is now a decent flier and I am considering modifying my PoleCats the same way.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
He says he hasn't flown for a while. The PC is not a first good choice to start again with. It is overpriced, underpowered, has servo issues and generally is a handful for a flier with limited experience. Buying another does not guarantee it is any better than the first.

The Hobbyzone SuperCub is easy to fly then easy to modify when one gets their experience level up, it is relatively inexpensive and easy to repair.
Tough to go wrong with the Champ for $90 all set to go (includes toy Tx) and it will fly outdoors. but if he was an accomplished pilot, the Polecat could be fine. BUT, you need to buy a transmitter so the cost of entry is higher. The T-28 might be a good choice as it's more of an aileron trainer
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Tough to go wrong with the Champ for $90 all set to go (includes toy Tx) and it will fly outdoors. but if he was an accomplished pilot, the Polecat could be fine. BUT, you need to buy a transmitter so the cost of entry is higher. The T-28 might be a good choice as it's more of an aileron trainer
We also fly the Champ indoors which is a lot of fun and just may be a good RTF starter for him. I've not flown it outdoors and in little to no wind it should be ok. I would say, in my opinion, that the T28 is the best UM flier. We fly indoors weekly and one guy flies a T28 but it should also be left to experienced fliers. I fly my PoleCats and Corsair indoors, 100x120x26 building, and they really take increased concentration.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:

That makes more sense now. I personally would recommend the Champ over the Cub. That could be because I love my Champ and have never flown a Cub though.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
BINGO...Tony. A high wing trainer like the Hobbyzone SuperCub, or a similar high wing trainer, would be a good choice. The PoleCat, and I have two, is better left at the hobby store until you have more experience. If I knew then what I know now about the PoleCat and the Corsair I would not have bought them. I fly both and have modified my UM Corsair with a brushless motor and 2S batteries. The Corsair is now a decent flier and I am considering modifying my PoleCats the same way.
Well, thanks for all the recommendations. I had a good day with the replacement Pole Cat today. The wind was calm and conditions ideal. The Pole Cat is fast and maneuverable; it's hard to get bored since it is very much a "hands on" flyer. Its small size makes it look like it's really zipping along.

I'm wondering if I need to adjust the engine thrust line downward. Full power produces excessive nose up, but I'm still experimenting with the CG. The rudder seems a little anemic for knife edge maneuvers and it doesn't quite do the job when the airplane is slow. The roll rate is great, but more adverse yaw than I expected from this design.

Two "fixes" were needed almost immediately: stiffners on the fake wheel pants and a small doubler where the tail wheel joins the rudder. Neither seemed to affect the CG at all.

Best of all....it is quiet!
mooneymite is offline Find More Posts by mooneymite
Last edited by mooneymite; Jul 13, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:45 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneymite View Post
Well, thanks for all the recommendations. I had a good day with the replacement Pole Cat today. The wind was calm and conditions ideal. The Pole Cat is fast and maneuverable; it's hard to get bored since it is very much a "hands on" flyer. Its small size makes it look like it's really zipping along.

I'm wondering if I need to adjust the engine thrust line downward. Full power produces excessive nose up, but I'm still experimenting with the CG. The rudder seems a little anemic for knife edge maneuvers and it doesn't quite do the job when the airplane is slow. The roll rate is great, but more adverse yaw than I expected from this design.

Two "fixes" were needed almost immediately: stiffners on the fake wheel pants and a small doubler where the tail wheel joins the rudder. Neither seemed to affect the CG at all.

Best of all....it is quiet!
I use a homebuilt CG machine to check locations. Normally I set my planes slightly nose heavy from factory spec until I fly it several times then adjust to my liking. I don't have the nose-up problem you are with my setup on either of my PoleCats. I do use Hyperion 1S batteries and a 5043 props. Performance increases slightly.

Where are you locating your battery?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:06 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
i dont know if it's just in my head but my again new motor for polecat is a replacment motor for a champ from "hobbyzone" seemed extremely quiet nice and smooth sounding,.. the prior replacment motors that ive been getting have been replacment p-51 mustang motors from "Parkzone" no where near as quiet and smooth sounding? yes i know the Champs power lines are shorter than the mustangs'and different colorend caps.in my mind i was thinkin both Hobbyzone and Parkzone were like the same company for some reason,.. but i think so far with Champ replacment from Hobbzone is way much better quality than Parkzones' replacment motor by far,.. oh yea including the props. anyone else have the same "findings?"
B.C.NEWFIE is offline Find More Posts by B.C.NEWFIE
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
i think i have to go the same route in by going brushless,ive been wanting to do it for a while now for im going through motors like an ideot lol!! what specs on motor and speed control would you be using for the mod on polecat?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:50 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
I use a homebuilt CG machine to check locations. Normally I set my planes slightly nose heavy from factory spec until I fly it several times then adjust to my liking. I don't have the nose-up problem you are with my setup on either of my PoleCats. I do use Hyperion 1S batteries and a 5043 props. Performance increases slightly.

Where are you locating your battery?
ima using thunder power 160 mah 25c batteries but running 130X70 prop.what difference have you found in running 5043 prop?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:52 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.NEWFIE View Post
i think i have to go the same route in by going brushless,ive been wanting to do it for a while now for im going through motors like an ideot lol!! what specs on motor and speed control would you be using for the mod on polecat?
Motor is the HobbyKing AP05 and a 6 amp speed control, I use a Castle.

Here is great information on the control wiring and a very easy to follow diagram when converting to brushless. You do have to reprogram the AR6400 for brushless but it is easy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...n#post19100307
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:05 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
ok dont laugh too hard but what is a "toy Tx?" lol
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:08 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Motor is the HobbyKing AP05 and a 6 amp speed control, I use a Castle.

Here is great information on the control wiring and a very easy to follow diagram when converting to brushless. You do have to reprogram the AR6400 for brushless but it is easy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...n#post19100307
and the prop.change difference?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.NEWFIE View Post
ok dont laugh too hard but what is a "toy Tx?" lol
The one in this picture of the Champ contents. They have a limited range (150' maybe?) and are good enough for flying indoors typically
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair