HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:35 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.NEWFIE View Post
im charging my batteries with a " thunder power" (4) port charger."TP103CQ ac/dc" and at times with me field charger if i wanna squeeze in an extra flight or two.Batteries are 160mah 25c.Thunder power.
and are you charging them at something like 300mah? I don't know that any of those batteries really want to be charged at more than 2C
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:03 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,826 Posts
coreman,
Hyperion lipos can be charged up to 5C according to their data sheets. I have doing this for some time now and enjoying very short charge times.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:33 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
coreman,
Hyperion lipos can be charged up to 5C according to their data sheets. I have doing this for some time now and enjoying very short charge times.
Gary

yeah, I know. And the TP ones B.C. pointed to are supposed to be able to be also. I'm just saying that I get much longer lifespans on my cells when I stick to 1C-2C. I've been flying the same bag of nanotechs for the entire season (including indoor last winter). I bought a dozen and take them to the field charged and recharge them at my leisure in my shop on non-flying days. 12 in batches of 4 at 1C means 3 hour total recharge time. I'm generally puttering around in my shop that long in the evenings
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:26 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
and are you charging them at something like 300mah? I don't know that any of those batteries really want to be charged at more than 2C
i hounestly have no idea at what rate they are charging at,..but the home charger and batteries are "suppose" to work together? but what it does say on the box of the home charger is. CHARGE CURRENT:0.3 amps per port "5 watts max" the only other charger i have is the "field" charger that came with my polecat which i assume would be a slower charge to the batteries.
B.C.NEWFIE is offline Find More Posts by B.C.NEWFIE
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:38 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
i hounestly have no idea at what rate they are charging at,..but the home charger and batteries are "suppose" to work together? but what it does say on the box of the home charger is. CHARGE CURRENT:0.3 amps per port "5 watts max" the only other charger i have is the "field" charger that came with my polecat which i assume would be a slower charge to the batteries.
and that would be a 2C charge rate so it shouldn't be stressing the batteries. I think the real problem you are having is the expected lifetime of the components. You are getting about 100 flights per motor and that is probably about average. The thing that is throwing us all is you are quoting calendar time not flight rate. 2-3 weeks sounds a lot sooner than 100 flights. Most of us fly significantly less per week than you are. I get out 1, maybe 2 days a week and even then I am flying more than just one plane. If I put 6 flights on my UM in a flying session I'm doing well and i don't fly the UM anywhere near that often in the outdoor months. 6 flights per flying session once a week is still 4 months before I get near 100 flights
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:34 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Quote:
I'm just saying that I get much longer lifespans on my cells when I stick to 1C-2C.
Very good rule of thumb. I use 240 Hyperion 1S Lipos (from RCBabble) on my Champ, UM J-3 Cub, and my UM P-51 Mustang. Recently, I have been messing around with the MiniAviation 190's, on both my UM Mustang #1 and my Pole Cat. In ALL CASES, even with 160's used on the Embers, Playmates, Albatros's, I charge at 1C - 2 C, usually at 1C. I'll push to a charge rate of 350 mAh on the Hyperion 240's, which reportedly will handle a 5C charge rate. However, in the interest of prolonged battery life, I simply load up on sufficient batteries on hand, and charge at the conservative rates. Of course, all of this doesn't mean diddly stink when you push the batteries to LVC, which I do many times! Best laid plans of mice and men...........................

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:32 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Very good rule of thumb. I use 240 Hyperion 1S Lipos (from RCBabble) on my Champ, UM J-3 Cub, and my UM P-51 Mustang. Recently, I have been messing around with the MiniAviation 190's, on both my UM Mustang #1 and my Pole Cat. In ALL CASES, even with 160's used on the Embers, Playmates, Albatros's, I charge at 1C - 2 C, usually at 1C. I'll push to a charge rate of 350 mAh on the Hyperion 240's, which reportedly will handle a 5C charge rate. However, in the interest of prolonged battery life, I simply load up on sufficient batteries on hand, and charge at the conservative rates. Of course, all of this doesn't mean diddly stink when you push the batteries to LVC, which I do many times! Best laid plans of mice and men...........................

RD
I hit LVC often also and don't really find it to be a big issue. but then again, I'm not discharging at 20C either. If you get a 6 minute flight, that's a 10C average (1C = 60 minutes, that is why it is MilliAmp HOUR rating) discharge even if you go to zero capacity and LVC seems to be about 10% from what I have seen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:25 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
and that would be a 2C charge rate so it shouldn't be stressing the batteries. I think the real problem you are having is the expected lifetime of the components. You are getting about 100 flights per motor and that is probably about average. The thing that is throwing us all is you are quoting calendar time not flight rate. 2-3 weeks sounds a lot sooner than 100 flights. Most of us fly significantly less per week than you are. I get out 1, maybe 2 days a week and even then I am flying more than just one plane. If I put 6 flights on my UM in a flying session I'm doing well and i don't fly the UM anywhere near that often in the outdoor months. 6 flights per flying session once a week is still 4 months before I get near 100 flights
well thanx for clearing-up the "life span" thing.i enjoy flying and trying to get in time to better flying skills and enjoying doing it.a 4 month replacment deal would sound fair and exceptable,so im looking at "hours" on a motor and not nessesarily my equipment or habits.. well besides flying lots lol.i was thinking i was being way too hard on the components,and probably was in the begining "charging-discharging" to close and frequent,with zero time inbetween.oh yea what i meant before about batteries being "hot/warm" i meant it as "battery from charger to plane to charger to plane constantly lol. perhaps the "novelty" of having my plane will mellow-out a little and i can calm down on the many flights in such a short time,and not have to replace parts so often,...give it some time,.. i'll be owning many planes in the near future like yourself so not to "beat" on just one plane
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
well thanx for clearing-up the "life span" thing.i enjoy flying and trying to get in time to better flying skills and enjoying doing it.a 4 month replacment deal would sound fair and exceptable,so im looking at "hours" on a motor and not nessesarily my equipment or habits.. well besides flying lots lol.i was thinking i was being way too hard on the components,and probably was in the begining "charging-discharging" to close and frequent,with zero time inbetween.oh yea what i meant before about batteries being "hot/warm" i meant it as "battery from charger to plane to charger to plane constantly lol. perhaps the "novelty" of having my plane will mellow-out a little and i can calm down on the many flights in such a short time,and not have to replace parts so often,...give it some time,.. i'll be owning many planes in the near future like yourself so not to "beat" on just one plane
Well, I've been flying 40+ years so I've accumulated a few. I think it's great that you are getting in all the flights and that will help you improve rapidly. but I think your expectations on lifespan just needed to be more realistic in terms of "units". Flights versus calendar days. If I changed a motor after 2 weeks if might have 10 flights on it, not 100. might be amusing to keep a count after your next swap out. Just as long as you are enjoying the plane
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:07 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
100 flights in a week, sure does sound like he's enjoying it!!!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Really!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Yup. Kind of reminds you of newly weds!!

Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Yup. Kind of reminds you of newly weds!!

lol! "newly weds" lol! yep but i keep wearing them-out! it'll tapper off thoe once honeymoon is over
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
well, i got a fracture on my PC, behind the "canopy" near the holes for the rods...i think the rods are keeping it together.

Buy a new fuselage? or gorilla glue magic trick?
minchomexa is offline Find More Posts by minchomexa
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:51 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minchomexa View Post
well, i got a fracture on my PC, behind the "canopy" near the holes for the rods...i think the rods are keeping it together.

Buy a new fuselage? or gorilla glue magic trick?
definitely try the repair. Worst case, you replace the fuselage anyway
RCG Plus Member