HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:46 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Interesting that someone would say that about the PC's speed by using math. Real world reports suggest the Champ flies at a max speed of 15mph, so it doesn't make sense to me that the much faster PC is only about 3-5mph faster.

Unless someone has a radar gun clocking the speed, I am going to call BS on any "guesses".
There are smartphone apps that will use the Doppler of a plane passing to tell the speed. I have heard them used on larger stuff but never knew if they would work for something 1S
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:48 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.NEWFIE View Post
thnx for the info,.. i realize that polecats "surface controls" are too small for anytype of 3-d stuff but it would be nice to go vertical for more than a couple of seconds,and being a "racer" it would be nice to not to have to have my brushed motor "maxed-out" to get any "what i call racing speed" perhaps i just dont have another park flyer beside me to compare and would be satisfied with the results if mine was faster than most other ones,.....like is the Mustang slower than polecat even thoe they share the same size motor?
The Mustang, Sukhoi and polecat are all about the same speed. A Bravo SX motor from RCbabbel will get a little more speed but will require better batteries. A 5043 prop should give move speed, too.

If you want vertical and speed, get an Sbach. It is a rocket sled compared to the 1S planes and will go vertical for 6 minutes on cheap HK nanotech 180's.

If you try to convert a 1S plane to brushless, you will have a max of 2 minutes of vertical on a 180 battery (and the motor and battery will cost 1/2 the cost of an Sbach)
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:17 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The Mustang, Sukhoi and polecat are all about the same speed. A Bravo SX motor from RCbabbel will get a little more speed but will require better batteries. A 5043 prop should give move speed, too.

If you want vertical and speed, get an Sbach. It is a rocket sled compared to the 1S planes and will go vertical for 6 minutes on cheap HK nanotech 180's.

If you try to convert a 1S plane to brushless, you will have a max of 2 minutes of vertical on a 180 battery (and the motor and battery will cost 1/2 the cost of an Sbach)
yep, i agree. if you want to get 1S vertical and 3D get the Extra 300. There is no one "do everything" plane. Each has their pluses and minuses (the Extra performs great but is delicate)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:34 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
There are smartphone apps that will use the Doppler of a plane passing to tell the speed. I have heard them used on larger stuff but never knew if they would work for something 1S
Thank you! That is worth trying.
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:13 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Thank you! That is worth trying.
and if you try it, I'd love to know which one and how it worked. I heard about them on one of the podcasts I listen to but I'm not sure which one. They said they were pretty accurate compared with the onboard telemetry and a radar gun. Like +/- 1-2mph
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:49 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Wow thnx for all ur guys "xp" and "insite" on some of the issues i brought-up earlier,.. it definitly clears alot up alot of questions in my head =) . do you all remember me "goin-off" about goin through motors quite frequently? i bought a new motor on June 27th and ive been doin the 5 min. or less fly time and cool down periods,..making sure batteries werent warm from flying to charger and "vice versa" now july 8th and i believe my motor is "bogging-down,.. less power" thats about 12 days,and now i need new motor once again! i dont get it? i'll know more when i try flying plane tomorrow,to realy confirm it. that 100 flights per motor is sounding to be true for me,even thoe peeps tell me otherwise.im believing that S-bach will suit my needs better? rather coverting from brushed to brushless in polecat.
B.C.NEWFIE is offline Find More Posts by B.C.NEWFIE
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:28 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,241 Posts
Bogging down happens. Failure is the threshold IMO.
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:28 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Wow thnx for all ur guys "xp" and "insite" on some of the issues i brought-up earlier,.. it definitly clears alot up alot of questions in my head =) . do you all remember me "goin-off" about goin through motors quite frequently? i bought a new motor on June 27th and ive been doin the 5 min. or less fly time and cool down periods,..making sure batteries werent warm from flying to charger and "vice versa" now july 8th and i believe my motor is "bogging-down,.. less power" thats about 12 days,and now i need new motor once again! i dont get it? i'll know more when i try flying plane tomorrow,to realy confirm it. that 100 flights per motor is sounding to be true for me,even thoe peeps tell me otherwise.im believing that S-bach will suit my needs better? rather coverting from brushed to brushless in polecat.
are you saying you feel you have put close to 100 flights in in those 12 days?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:09 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
are you saying you feel you have put close to 100 flights in in those 12 days?
yea acualy come to think of it i probably have put about that many flights on the motor with in that time,...i bought 4 new batteries,.. so 4 flights in the morning,..4 at night. i just had a "brian-fart" this morning thoe.i've also been using an 5th older battery somtimes also which i think is ok but is it? if it's a lil' weaker than my new ones would that do damage to motor? but i still havint been over running batteries till dead.i think 1-2 times it happened thoe.
Last edited by B.C.NEWFIE; Jul 09, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:29 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Bogging down happens. Failure is the threshold IMO.
yea i could except motor and battery failure,but motors @ $15 each im averaging 2 motors per month,but my 4 new batteries @ $10 from what i can tell are doing fine so far this month,.. but meen if im replacing 2 motors and give or take 4 batteries per month to make sure both things are brand new,.. that's close to $70 to fly a month!?
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:54 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
yea acualy come to think of it i probably have put about that many flights on the motor with in that time,...i bought 4 new batteries,.. so 4 flights in the morning,..4 at night. i just had a "brian-fart" this morning thoe.i've also been using an 5th older battery somtimes also which i think is ok but is it? if it's a lil' weaker than my new ones would that do damage to motor? but i still havint been over running batteries till dead.i think 1-2 times it happened thoe.
I wouldn't think a weaker battery would be an issue. The flying until LVC is tough on the BATTERY, not the motor. How are you recharging the batteries? What charge rate? I have one of the 4 cell Celestra chargers and the batteries get popped in right after I fly and will sit there in the charger until I need them again (during that flying session). I never have the little 1S batteries feel warm to the touch when I take them out of the plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:14 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,772 Posts
Quote:
Small Brushed motors don't last long even if you get a good one.

Sounds like you fly a lot! An Sbach or other Brushless model, while being an initial large outlay, will probably cost you less in the long term
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:17 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't think a weaker battery would be an issue. The flying until LVC is tough on the BATTERY, not the motor. How are you recharging the batteries? What charge rate? I have one of the 4 cell Celestra chargers and the batteries get popped in right after I fly and will sit there in the charger until I need them again (during that flying session). I never have the little 1S batteries feel warm to the touch when I take them out of the plane.
im charging my batteries with a " thunder power" (4) port charger."TP103CQ ac/dc" and at times with me field charger if i wanna squeeze in an extra flight or two.Batteries are 160mah 25c.Thunder power.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:38 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Small Brushed motors don't last long even if you get a good one.

Sounds like you fly a lot! An Sbach or other Brushless model, while being an initial large outlay, will probably cost you less in the long term
yep,i think i made my mind made-up and am gunna go that rout,for im getting way too fusterated! when this hobby is suppose to take me away from lifes fusterations roflmao! yes i know this is all part of the hobby wich i like the challange of keeping ones' plane airbourn while having fun also the satisfaction of figuring these things out =) i have been watchin and taking in info on th S-Bach in the last lil' while,i think that i best be saving my pennies for one lol! also will no-dout be getting a dsx6i for it before i would think about taking it to the air.hmm $400.00 altogether i think should get me there i hope.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:43 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
did my morning fly and changed motor,.. im getting messed-up here.dunno if batteries are getting weak,.. would they after 100 flights?