SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:16 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
That is one of the problems with using CA for these types of repairs. it makes a brittle joint which then breaks on the virgin foam right next to it and so forth. Soon you have a 1/2" wide glue region. I have used "Hold the Foam" in the past for doing these repairs but that requires an overnight dry which isn't always convenient when at a flying session. I have heard of people using Gorilla Glue (the white dries fastest) After a while you end up just replacing the airframe parts. And at that point you need to look at it as if it's really just more cost effective to buy a second plane and use the brick on some other scratch built plane
my first plane "champ" the main wing had several side by side breaks like you said coreman.ive never heard of "hold the foam" but will look for it now and give it a try."champ has since retired" lol also to blend my repair in to the main of the plane,.. i just used " Polyfilla-Big" it's called it's very light and worked well,..i just find that using "spacific products for planes is too expensive"
B.C.NEWFIE is offline Find More Posts by B.C.NEWFIE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:23 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Has anyone clocked the speed of a stock PC? I am curious what the actual speed capability is of this thing.
i was acualy woundering the same.if it seems slow like i was thinking my plane was,.... ii just flew it in a way smaller park.it really seemed like it went faster as being forced to have to turn constantly in a tite area evenn at half throttle. but yea in a huge open area,i thought my plane was going kinda slow and always had my plane @ fulll throttle,and burning-out motors.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:27 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.NEWFIE View Post
my first plane "champ" the main wing had several side by side breaks like you said coreman.ive never heard of "hold the foam" but will look for it now and give it a try."champ has since retired" lol also to blend my repair in to the main of the plane,.. i just used " Polyfilla-Big" it's called it's very light and worked well,..i just find that using "spacific products for planes is too expensive"
Hold the Foam is available at Michael's craft stores and probably others. it comes in a toothpaste style tube and I personally squeeze some out and apply it with a toothpick

Wasn't familiar with Polyfilla so i googled it. I use something very similar called Red Devil Lightweight Spackle. I've even thinned it down and painted it on beaded foam to make a smooth paintable surface
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:43 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,594 Posts
Quote:
the front end repair that i had mentioned worked-out unbelievably well =) you can barely see the "join" definitly quality foam is the ticket "doesnt flake off" as easily.,......got a question thoe guys,while i did that i change the default setting for the elevator,so it would have more "throw" it seems like that when i yank the stick for a sharp loop,the plane wants to the turn/spiral to the right i believe? too much of adjustment,too aggresive?
The same thing happened to me. Just adjust the trim and battery position and it should be fine. At least it was for me.
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:50 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Hold the Foam is available at Michael's craft stores and probably others. it comes in a toothpaste style tube and I personally squeeze some out and apply it with a toothpick

Wasn't familiar with Polyfilla so i googled it. I use something very similar called Red Devil Lightweight Spackle. I've even thinned it down and painted it on beaded foam to make a smooth paintable surface
i didnt have to "thin it down" but very good "tip" Coreman,..good too hear lil' tricks of th-trade =) thnx.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:00 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
The same thing happened to me. Just adjust the trim and battery position and it should be fine. At least it was for me.
good to hear/know,...that i wasn't the exception lol."trial and error" to figure it out i guess,hopfuly no crashes in testing lol.i just have to play with my settings i suppose to find a happy "medium"
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:58 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,594 Posts
Yeah, just eyeball it to make sure everything is level and go from there.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:58 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Hi, all. I've reading the forum a while now and I just wanted to add something here that most of you will respond with a "duhhhh."

My first 3 flights with the Polecat resulted in 3 devastating crashes and this is why (for anybody like me!)

1. I bought a used plane that was in perfect shape, but I assumed that the servos were also perfect. To my great dismay, the elevator and ailerons were reversed and I crashed.

2. Being the 2-yr veteran of R/C airplanes I said, "No problem, I glue the foam and reverse the servos and I'll go fly. I reversed the ailerons and elevator, but when I checked the rudder, I assessed it to be reversed, also, so I reversed it. No, I actually did reverse it, so next time I flew elevator was reversed and combined with another problem (keep reading) I crashed.

3. Now, I reversed all servos back to correct directions (see below for "correct") and I took it out, but could not keep control of it enough to fly and crashed it. This one bugged me so I went back to rethink the whole process.

4. It finally dawned on me that this plane was a stunt plane and that it was made to react faster than I could handle. And, although I had used lots of EXPO for all controls, I was flying with 100% DUAL RATE. On top of that, I had put the control wire at the outer holes all the control horns. Then (duhhh, I'm a man) I read the instructions and saw the paragraph on how far set control rates. I then used my DX8 and set the dual rate all the way down until I found the specs according to the manual.

Success!!!! I am having an absolute picnic flying this plane now!

Hope this helps someone else. Actually, you only need to thoroughly read the manual, but after a while one gets complacent and thinks he knows it all.

How to tell correct directions for your control surfaces. I think this now every time I start up my planes:

Aileron - Stick LEFT, Aileron "UP"
Elevator - Stick UP, Elevator "DOWN"
Rudder - Stick LEFT, Aileron "LEFT"

LEFT/UP/LEFT.........UP - DOWN - LEFT
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:50 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
ok here's a question that i believe Coreman may know the answer to,....hobbyzone replaced the brick in my polecat "i installed" i have to manual right infront of me.the port in which you plug in your brushed motor has 3 holes.and in the manual it says "exactly" ( ESC Brushless signal +- ) so can i just buy a brushless motor,.. install it and fly? i also noticed on prior page in book under Specifications:SPEED CONTROLER:Type intergrated brushed,..Max continuous current 2.0 amps. What does this meen? will speed controler work for brushless motor,i would realy like to know as it would be nice to have the reliabilty and power of a brushless =)
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:02 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
GBL Lynden,.....i just seen a post on another site and this guy seemed like he knew what he was chattin about. he figures polecats speed is around 18-20 mph?
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:03 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
On the tach, I saw 6900 rpm that dropped to a steady 6800 rpm after a minute or so. According to Parkszone, the polcats prop is a 130x70mm, so at 6800 rpm thats about an 18 mph pitch speed. You can hear it revving higher in flight though, and I would guess the planes probally flying in the low 20 mph range. I think there is room for a higher pitched prop to increase speed, perhaps something like a GWS 4.5◊4 or 4◊4 would push the speed up more without overloading the motor. "this is his words that he wrote on the post"
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:12 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
ok here's a question that i believe Coreman may know the answer to,....hobbyzone replaced the brick in my polecat "i installed" i have to manual right infront of me.the port in which you plug in your brushed motor has 3 holes.and in the manual it says "exactly" ( ESC Brushless signal +- ) so can i just buy a brushless motor,.. install it and fly? i also noticed on prior page in book under Specifications:SPEED CONTROLER:Type intergrated brushed,..Max continuous current 2.0 amps. What does this meen? will speed controler work for brushless motor,i would realy like to know as it would be nice to have the reliabilty and power of a brushless =)
No.

The AR6400 needs a separate Brushless ESC to work with a Brushless motor.

Realiability, yes. Power, No.

A geared Brushed motor on 1S is going to have more thrust than any Brushless Direct drive motor pulling the same amps. This is Why HH is still using geared Brushed motors 4 years after the Brushless control option was put on their 1S bricks.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:59 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
No.

The AR6400 needs a separate Brushless ESC to work with a Brushless motor.

Realiability, yes. Power, No.

A geared Brushed motor on 1S is going to have more thrust than any Brushless Direct drive motor pulling the same amps. This is Why HH is still using geared Brushed motors 4 years after the Brushless control option was put on their 1S bricks.
thnx for the info,.. i realize that polecats "surface controls" are too small for anytype of 3-d stuff but it would be nice to go vertical for more than a couple of seconds,and being a "racer" it would be nice to not to have to have my brushed motor "maxed-out" to get any "what i call racing speed" perhaps i just dont have another park flyer beside me to compare and would be satisfied with the results if mine was faster than most other ones,.....like is the Mustang slower than polecat even thoe they share the same size motor?
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:38 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,594 Posts
Quote:
GBL Lynden,.....i just seen a post on another site and this guy seemed like he knew what he was chattin about. he figures polecats speed is around 18-20 mph?
Interesting that someone would say that about the PC's speed by using math. Real world reports suggest the Champ flies at a max speed of 15mph, so it doesn't make sense to me that the much faster PC is only about 3-5mph faster.

Unless someone has a radar gun clocking the speed, I am going to call BS on any "guesses".
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:43 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
it will provide the SIGNALS for brushless but you need to use a 1S ESC similar to this one and you have to use some Vulcan neck pinch (listed in the manual for the brick) on the transmitter to get it to go into program mode to get it to change from brushed to brushless. I did it on one of my 4-Sites but the brushless motor I had wasn't really any better than the Bravo SX
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair