Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Why would tape make the plane noisy?
I sort of assumed he was getting vibration from the motor being loose or the prop shaft being bent. If the rudder servo is grinding hard against the stops that is going to drain your battery faster.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
Quote:
the noise may have been comming from the rudder servo ( that was dissconnected from the horn ) not dissabled and jittered causing irratic sound .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:31 PM
Fly Easy
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djowtlaw View Post
Hah, nice vid, I only nose over ocassionally now. I took it upon myself to learn how to properly land my polecat. It's REALLY susceptible to any turbulence and will stall on you faster than you can say "sh**!!!" when coming in for a landing.

I also went out to fly mine today but I couldn't because the motor has seem to have gotten very weak :| I don't know if its because of my windy day crashes or if I simply run it too long. I use 5 150mah @ 12C one after another to give about an hour flight time per session (that's a lot of watts!)

What do you guys think?
So I finally got back home and swapped out my newer pole cat motor with my older ( and better condition) one. Wow it flew like brand new. Thank you for your guy's responses, however, it seemed as though the motor burnt out before the batteries did.

On the other hand, I now know how to treat my lipos. Will make sure I time my flights better and remember to set my timer properly.
djowtlaw is offline Find More Posts by djowtlaw
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:09 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,444 Posts
Quote:
lol the tape isn't the source of it. It comes from the brick I believe. It made a big buzzing noise after that big crash even when no servers are activated. As soon as I plug in the battery it starts buzzing like it is on crack. It did not do that before the freak out with the rudder.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
hello everyone, well the polecat is my 3rd plane (champ, p-51 are the others) and this little one is fast! i use a dx5 on low rates for now (am i crazy for trying that?) the maiden flight took place at my test area (parking lot with back area with knee high grass) so as expected, i had a few crashes until i got used to the super sensitivity of the plane. once i got a hold of it...it would fly in circles without any input. im confused....check CG? trim rudder?
thanks in advance for your advice!
minchomexa is offline Find More Posts by minchomexa
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:34 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
As soon as I plug in the battery it starts buzzing like it is on crack. It did not do that before the freak out with the rudder.
Not good since you may burn up a servo. Such noise is usually a warning sign that a servo is being stressed, so make sure nothing is binding or putting pressure on any of the servos. I also suggest snipping the wires going to the dead servo per my earlier post.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:46 AM
Fly Easy
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minchomexa View Post
hello everyone, well the polecat is my 3rd plane (champ, p-51 are the others) and this little one is fast! i use a dx5 on low rates for now (am i crazy for trying that?) the maiden flight took place at my test area (parking lot with back area with knee high grass) so as expected, i had a few crashes until i got used to the super sensitivity of the plane. once i got a hold of it...it would fly in circles without any input. im confused....check CG? trim rudder?
Yup, should use the dx6 and set your dual rates properly. If its flying circles its more than likely the aileron and not the rudder, the rudder on the Pole Cat isn't really that strong. Also the CG is most sensitive in the longitudinal direction not the lateral direction. So check your wings for any nicks or scratches and trim aileron accordingly. Especially after your crashes....
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minchomexa View Post
Sounds normal to me. I found the PC lilkes to have the battery as far foward as possible in windy conditons, move it back some for sharper response but expect a little 'balloning'.

While on the topic, the PC doesent really respond to trim inputs from the transmitter all that well. Its best to bend the U bends in or out to acheive 'trim'.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:47 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Not good since you may burn up a servo. Such noise is usually a warning sign that a servo is being stressed, so make sure nothing is binding or putting pressure on any of the servos. I also suggest snipping the wires going to the dead servo per my earlier post.

Gene K
So there is no buzz vs stock after you snipped that servo wire?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:36 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
So there is no buzz vs stock after you snipped that servo wire?
I suggested cutting the wires as yet another avenue to explore to fix the buzz - I don't know if it will work or not. Is it not possible to determine which servo is making the noise?

I manually centered the servo and then cut the wires, and didn't experience any buzz.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:46 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
good advice speedy as if like he said if the servo is stressed and burns up the board due to binding youll have no more plane best to snip the little wire going to the servo motor ( only one due to wires touching each other ) . now if it still buzzes after sniping the rudder serevo motor wire then the problem is more severe any way to post a vid of the noise ??
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:30 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,444 Posts
As always, thanks guys! I will try to post a video in a little while. I am going to fly my Champ and P-51 before the rain starts.

Edit: Here is the requested video: http://youtu.be/3_62edPtRIM
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by GBLynden; Jun 21, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
Fly Easy
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
I suggested cutting the wires as yet another avenue to explore to fix the buzz - I don't know if it will work or not. Is it not possible to determine which servo is making the noise?

I manually centered the servo and then cut the wires, and didn't experience any buzz.

Gene K
+1

On my old wrecked PoleCat, I had the same rudder issue and after cutting the wire all of the buzzing seemed to stop.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:10 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djowtlaw View Post
+1

On my old wrecked PoleCat, I had the same rudder issue and after cutting the wire all of the buzzing seemed to stop.
Thank you guys! I wanted to avoid opening her up, but I can't pass up utilizing this valuable intell.
RCG Plus Member