HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:41 PM
Spitflier
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Feb 2012
189 Posts
Yup, raked forward, corrected the camber, extra up ele on the switch. Landing isn't bad, it's taking off that's impossible. She's great off the ballpark infield, when its not too wet or too dry...
I love this plane, definitely my favourite, but I just wish I didn't have to wait for perfect conditions all the time to fly her. 😔
StompinThom is offline Find More Posts by StompinThom
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:42 PM
Spitflier
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Feb 2012
189 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358894535.720810.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 173.5 KB
Description:

This how deep and thick it is...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:54 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
LimitingFactor posted his experience off grass here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...63636&page=491
maybe it helps
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StompinThom View Post
Attachment 5471122

This how deep and thick it is...
.... aha ... got'ya.

When the grass at the municipal field I use gets grossly long
.... I resort to my emergency take-off strips; I have two options.

1. A ~12ft x 9ft plastic tarpauline that I pin down with 'mushroom-head' camping ground-sheet pegs.

2. A roll of old rubber-backed carpet ~15 ft x 5 ft; which stays down flat under it's own weight. (Feel a bit of a twit carrying it into the field with it rolled up on my shoulder though .... the locals probably think I'm disposing of multiple bodies rolled up in the carpet !!! ).

Both work great for take-off for all my HH birds (including my somewhat bigger E-flite Hurri)

Have even managed to land back on a couple of times, (in a head wind), with my ol'faithfull PZ Corsair ... great fun; like simulated carrier landings but with no arrester hook.

If using a tarp .... do need to make sure all the edges all well pinned down; took a chunck out of the corner of mine with my Hurri prop, when the wind lifted an edge ... easily repaired with good'ol gaffer tape

Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Last edited by Plane Chaos; Jan 22, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:27 PM
Spitflier
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Feb 2012
189 Posts
Carpet has entered my mind... Also how strange I'd look lol.
What I need is a municipal park manager that cares about real sports and hobbies and not just so called "soccer" and "softball"
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:06 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
well, a 9 x 9 is definitely NOT a good fit for this plane. the prop struggled to get the plane up and couldn't provide enough thrust. ended up hitting a fence. crash damage pics to follow. once i get her back together i will go for the 10 x 10.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:09 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
well, a 9 x 9 is definitely NOT a good fit for this plane. the prop struggled to get the plane up and couldn't provide enough thrust. ended up hitting a fence. crash damage pics to follow. once i get her back together i will go for the 10 x 10.
Sorry to hear about the crash.

I personally use either the stock prop or the Extra 300 prop. The Extra 300 prop makes the ESC a bit hot if you're flying WOT a lot, though.

Good luck on getting the plane back in the air!
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Artwork Applied to the Mustang
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:22 PM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
I use a 9x6 4 blade prop on mine. It seems to behave pretty well, on 4s the power is intense!

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:41 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
what's your power system? if a 9 x 9 isn't doing the job, a 10 x 10 is gonna be worse. unless of course, you are running on 3S, then this is why the 9 x 9 isn't cutting the mustard. on 4S, a 9 x 9 would be too much prop. a 9 x 6 is good and so is a 10 x 4, but the larger prop is slower. and 8 x 8 would go like stink, but would look dumb. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:02 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
thanks for the suggestions Edge, Coot - hmm, i think i may try the Extra prop then since its proven.

Luv - i have a Power 15 with a 60A esc on 2200 and 3300. both batts are 3s.

ps - Edge, what type of ESC do you have?
Last edited by cmdl; Jan 23, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:11 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,605 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the suggestions Edge, Coot - hmm, i think i may try the Extra prop then since its proven.

Luv - i have a Power 15 with a 60A esc on 2200 and 3300. both batts are 3s.

ps - Edge, what type of ESC do you have?
Stock ESC on mine. The only thing I've changed out was the prop. I don't fly WOT a lot, so the temperatures seem to be manageable, but for the summer, I think I might open some holes on the bottom of the fuselage to allow air to circulate better inside the fuselage to cool the ESC and the motor.

For your Power 15 and 60A ESC, the Extra 300 prop should be just fine and should provide you with the increase in performance I think you're looking for.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Artwork Applied to the Mustang
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:18 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
ok, thanks. i checked with lhs and they have a few in stock.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:17 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
crash pics

the motor was ripped off the mount but the cowl survived unscathed. don't ask me how.
the low speed of the crash plus the tape did its job of keeping it together.
i'm worried about the right wing deformation but i think it should be flyable.
all advice welcome. thanks guys.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:17 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya cmdl,

Saw you asking about programmable radios on another thread - do you still have questions?

Wolfe

PS: This Spit looks pretty fixable to me - wing does not look that bad in the pic - sorry for the crash. Cut the other gun off to match the one that broke - then use some large shrink wrap to join them back together. That way the guns will fold if they catch on the grass and not mess up the wing
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jan 23, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:31 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
yeah. i have been wondering about whether programmable radios make it easier to fly and if so, how.
this has been a loooong researched item for me. most answers i got pointed to (1) model memory, (2) expo, and (3) adjustable rates.

(1) just for now i threw out model memory as a selling point since i only fly two planes and have TXs for each of them. maybe when i decide to buy more spitfires down the line

(2) next came the expo option. never flown it and have been comfortable with linear rates. however folks at the lhs say they're good to help with flying. some folks here on the forum say they actually prefer linear rates and don't like expo. thats how far i got with that.

(3) adjustable rates - it would be nice but i find 100% to be all that i need at this point.

that said, i am itching to convince myself enough to buy a computer radio but of course i have to nitpick everything to death so i can get sufficient critical mass in my justification. until then i am happy using that money to buy bigger and better power systems for my planes. too bad i'm not like that when it comes to props LOL

ps - would you mind giving me your 2 cents on the condition of my wing based on the pics? i think its flyable but i'd like opinions on that first just in case the thread descends into a TX and expo vs linear debate and the crash is forgotten