SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:21 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,165 Posts
To leccyflyer: yes, I'm well aware that the real spit didn't have unlimited vertical,,,, but she sure is a blast to fly that way!!! And you always have the option of throttling back and flying around all scale like when you want. I fly her at about 1/2. -3/4 throttle for scale like flying and then open her up for some fun!!! I get about 5:30min flying mostly WOT with a min or two of scale flying. If these models have similar flying characteristics as their full scale counterparts, then I can see why the spit was considered best all around warbird!!!! I've flown ALL the other PZ warbirds and IMHO the Spit outflys them all. The Spit has often been called the plane that saved the world cause of how successful they were against the Messerschmidts in the battle of Britain . The Brits must be very proud of that plane!!!! I personally have always loved the look of the spit ever since I saw one up close at the Palm Springs air museum. What an incredibly impressive looking warbird!!
It may sound very un patriotic of me, but I think the Spit was a much better looking and all around better airplane than the vaunted P-51 Mustang. I've Flown the PZ mustang many times, and although it is an excellent flying warbird,, it doesn't even come close to the handling characteristics of the Spit!!! I read somewhere that the spit still to this day holds world speed record for fastest propeller plane in a dive at 612 mph!!!! Holy cow!!!
And in one experiment after war a spit lost control at 50,000 ft went into a dive, pilot blacked out, but finally woke up about a couple thousand feet up and landed safely , plane and pilot completely unharmed!!! Amazing instruments inboard registered top speed of 654mph but was unsubstantiated cause of circumstances. The real spit has one of the thinnest ( read low drag) airfoils of any fighter, and required a very special construction process . I LOVE Spitfires. :-)
Airman74 is online now Find More Posts by Airman74
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,165 Posts
If your interested in reading a very interesting piece about how the Spitfire saved the world,, here's a link to it :
http://www.slate.com/toolbar.aspx?ac...int&id=2293662
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:42 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,165 Posts
Quote from Winston Churchill : " never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few". He was referring to the pilots of the hurricanes and Spitfires.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:01 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Hi again

Well, my SPIT is ready for the morning dawn patrol and Maiden plus my Shooting Glasses (with yellow tint) are ready and packed.

Here is a picture showing my location of the Spektrum AR600 receiver. It is pretty tight but, the cover closes just fine.

Hi Carlos

I was just wondering why you put your RX there and not in the place provided? apart from ease of placement of course i did think in the place provided the rudder and elevator servo leads were a tad bit small but i got around it in the end by placing the servo leads around the RX rather than over it,this way seemed to help the servo leads fit into the RX a lot better and not so tight.

Any one else thought there servo leads for the rudder and elevator where a tad bit to small??
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:04 AM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,372 Posts
yep i found that as well ^^
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Oct 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick39 View Post
yep i found that as well ^^
Im guessing he got the airframe and not the BNF like us , we know were the Rx goes but it d be hard to think of that place for the rx .
hermann78 is offline Find More Posts by hermann78
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:11 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,296 Posts
Delightful Warbird Model from Park Zone!!!

Flight Summary:

I had so much fun with this model early this morning that I ran 5 batteries (5 Flights) through it and unbelievable flight manners!!!

Control Settings:
Completely as it came out from the box and I did not have anything set for expo, however, a little more UP elevator travel would have been nice to avoid the dreaded nose over on grass landing but, for some reason the last two landings (not on Video) were perfect as I found a shorter patch of grass and brought her in with a little more airspeed and she did not nose over.

I am SUPER HAPPY and PLEASED on this model's flight characteristics that I am going to keep her exactly like she is now. The Retracts really are not missed as the STOCK Fixed gear wire does not stick so much out and you can hardly noticed the gear when she flying, at least comparing it to others like the P-47.

A few high res pictures from my Buddy's (Gerry's) Digital SLR Camera. (Thanks Gerrry!)

NEXT UP IS THE VIDEO!!!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Sep 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:17 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,483 Posts
wow. you real do have a great camera man.
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,296 Posts
2nd Maiden Flight, Video Capture!

Here's my VIDEO!!

Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX 2nd Maiden Video 09-11-2011.wmv (3 min 48 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:33 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
Hi Carlos

I was just wondering why you put your RX there and not in the place provided? apart from ease of placement of course i did think in the place provided the rudder and elevator servo leads were a tad bit small but i got around it in the end by placing the servo leads around the RX rather than over it,this way seemed to help the servo leads fit into the RX a lot better and not so tight.

Any one else thought there servo leads for the rudder and elevator where a tad bit to small??
It is not because I did not read the manual, which "I" Did

I just thought that the slot where they seem to show in the Park Zone provided Diagram was just not enough foam material to give enough "grab" for the receiver and I did not want the receiver from coming lose.

The place where it is in my model is perfect, in my opinion as all you have to do is release the Velcro Loop from the battery and the battery clears very well without making contract with the receiver.

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:34 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,296 Posts
Well heres a first I think. Woke to find winds at 25-30mph so PZ flying at local park was out. With only a few flights on the spit was itching to get some stick time so......of I went to my local slope, all of 600 yds from my house, took the prop off moved the clevises into the inner most holes and bunged her off......and............she flew fine, a bit on the light side for the conditions but flew fine. Landing however was a different story, wind at the top of the slope in the compression was 43 mph(measured) and boy was it hard work to get her down in one piece. In the end she landed going backwards but was all ok. Dont think I will try again though as with enough ballast to penetrate I think I would snap the wing ha ha.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:37 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
To leccyflyer: yes, I'm well aware that the real spit didn't have unlimited vertical,,,, but she sure is a blast to fly that way!!! And you always have the option of throttling back and flying around all scale like when you want. I fly her at about 1/2. -3/4 throttle for scale like flying and then open her up for some fun!!! I get about 5:30min flying mostly WOT with a min or two of scale flying. If these models have similar flying characteristics as their full scale counterparts, then I can see why the spit was considered best all around warbird!!!! I've flown ALL the other PZ warbirds and IMHO the Spit outflys them all. The Spit has often been called the plane that saved the world cause of how successful they were against the Messerschmidts in the battle of Britain . The Brits must be very proud of that plane!!!! I personally have always loved the look of the spit ever since I saw one up close at the Palm Springs air museum. What an incredibly impressive looking warbird!!
It may sound very un patriotic of me, but I think the Spit was a much better looking and all around better airplane than the vaunted P-51 Mustang. I've Flown the PZ mustang many times, and although it is an excellent flying warbird,, it doesn't even come close to the handling characteristics of the Spit!!! I read somewhere that the spit still to this day holds world speed record for fastest propeller plane in a dive at 612 mph!!!! Holy cow!!!
And in one experiment after war a spit lost control at 50,000 ft went into a dive, pilot blacked out, but finally woke up about a couple thousand feet up and landed safely , plane and pilot completely unharmed!!! Amazing instruments inboard registered top speed of 654mph but was unsubstantiated cause of circumstances. The real spit has one of the thinnest ( read low drag) airfoils of any fighter, and required a very special construction process . I LOVE Spitfires. :-)
Yep, me too.

It'll be next Sunday before I get a chance to fly mine though.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:56 AM
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined Jun 2008
472 Posts
Absolutely agreed. Even with the right equipment it's very difficult to capture a small plane this well. Great plane, fantastic photos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
wow. you real do have a great camera man.
Levendis is offline Find More Posts by Levendis
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:02 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levendis View Post
Absolutely agreed. Even with the right equipment it's very difficult to capture a small plane this well. Great plane, fantastic photos!
I am very blessed to have two wonderful Photographers, Gerry (simano) and David (dwhart24)

Both have fantastic skill and great camera gear!

David takes professional photos for Airshows and RC Hobby Models. You may have seen some of his work in a magazine, I just don't recall which.

David has the killer lens with a reach of up to 500mm and it has a handle so you can steady the entire package!

Makes my models looks super neat in the air.

I used to take some neat pictures myself but, my oldest daughter reclaimed her Canon Rebel SLR so, now I have to say my pennies for my own!

Thanks guys for the comments!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:36 PM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,372 Posts
very very nice shots PittSpecial , realy like it
when i am going to maiden mine i hope my mate commes allong with his camera to , he can also make great shots

here a picture from his camera next to my PZ CORSAIR
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39