SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
To the airplane. I believe RCF is going to update the kit before Twisted's next order.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:12 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
Has anyone built the RC Factory 1.2m RS 352 yet?

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:29 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,122 Posts
I have one, but haven't built it yet. I'm trying to decide what power system to get, and also trying to figure out whether it needs some additional CF reinforcement (after my experience with the big Sukhoi).

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:25 PM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
963 Posts
Neil:

Quote:
also trying to figure out whether it needs some additional CF reinforcement (after my experience with the big Sukhoi).
Neil, do you care to add a little color to the above (I haven't built mine yet)?

Thanks..
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:57 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,122 Posts
Sure. I'm just referring to the twisting of the tail on this model that is discussed in earlier posts by both Chris and me. Although it has the same CF reinforcement set up as the smaller RC Factory models, it doesn't seem to be as rigid in flight. I have no engineering background, so I don't know all the reasons for this, but I'm thinking that the thickness of the CF rods wasn't scaled up along with everything else. So I'm thinking of using thicker CF stock on my next 1.2m RCF plane. I'm also thinking about adding some cross bracing along the side of the fuse of my Sukhoi. I will report back if I see any improvement.

Neil
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:26 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
Neil,

Do you think this is why RCF is going to update the kit before Twisted's next order?

Mike
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:10 AM
Jan Spatny
Czech republic
Joined Nov 2004
201 Posts
Hi Mike,

as a member of RCF team I know that guys are working hard on twisting problem. Firts thing that we figured out is glue!

If you glue fuselage together (CF reinforcements, upper and lower part with black horizontal part) with glues such as UHU por, Welders, etc. it will never be as rigid as fuselage glued with CA and hardener. I have tested this theory on 1,2m RS 352, it really makes the difference. I used hobbyking Medium and super thin, it soaks deeper in EPP and makes it really tough.

Anyway, there are going to be modifications on all 1,2m planes. But trust me, I'm not going to get rid of my RS, properly glued it does not twist that much and it still is really enjoyable to fly!

Jan
HonzaS is online now Find More Posts by HonzaS
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:27 AM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
963 Posts
HonzaS, that makes perfect sense! In my build so far, I've CA'ed in the carbon strips in the black foam, and after reading this thread, I picked it up and tried to twist it horzionally, and it is extremely stiff.

I'm building a 3DHS EPP airplane as well, and I'm going to use CA for all the critical spars, where as they build the whole airplane with Welder.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:40 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonzaS View Post
Hi Mike,

as a member of RCF team I know that guys are working hard on twisting problem. Firts thing that we figured out is glue!

If you glue fuselage together (CF reinforcements, upper and lower part with black horizontal part) with glues such as UHU por, Welders, etc. it will never be as rigid as fuselage glued with CA and hardener. I have tested this theory on 1,2m RS 352, it really makes the difference. I used hobbyking Medium and super thin, it soaks deeper in EPP and makes it really tough.

Anyway, there are going to be modifications on all 1,2m planes. But trust me, I'm not going to get rid of my RS, properly glued it does not twist that much and it still is really enjoyable to fly!

Jan
Thanks Jan,

I am looking for a replacement for my Telink Yak 55, which is good, but there are certain parts of the flight envelope where it is not as forgiving as the smaller RCF models.

Mike
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:17 AM
Jan Spatny
Czech republic
Joined Nov 2004
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by four stroke pwr View Post
HonzaS, that makes perfect sense! In my build so far, I've CA'ed in the carbon strips in the black foam, and after reading this thread, I picked it up and tried to twist it horzionally, and it is extremely stiff.

I'm building a 3DHS EPP airplane as well, and I'm going to use CA for all the critical spars, where as they build the whole airplane with Welder.
I have another tip for you!

After pressing CF strips in the black epp, glue them on both sides using super thin CA glue with thin needle on it. Wait few (15?) seconds before using hardener spray, it will give CA enough time to soak deep in the EPP. I use the same method on wings.

One more - glue upper and bottom (in right order according to build manual) using medium CA, than glue corner between upper/lower part of fuselage and black horizontal part again using super thin glue, again let it soak in and harden it. It takes a bit of practice to give it enough glue, but not more than necessary, I'm sure that you will figure it out in a minute.

Jan
HonzaS is online now Find More Posts by HonzaS
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:31 AM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
963 Posts
Thanks Jan.. The main reason that I used thin CA for the carbon strips was that the slits are very tight, and after smearing Welder on them, if you try to insert them, the Welder would be wiped off, and very little of it would be in the slits, or so I reasoned. With thin CA, it did soak deep into the slits. I did sand the carbon strips as well before I installed them..
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:15 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,122 Posts
I have always used CA for gluing in the CF spars, for the reasons noted by Jan. However, I did not use CA to glue on the upper and lower fuselage parts, so it's possible that might make a difference. But it seems to me that the nature of the structure on the tail of all the RCF planes will allow some twist. It creates a structure that's rigid in both the vertical and horizontal dimensions, but I don't see what prevents it from twisting even if everything is glued in rock solid. I'm thinking about diagonal bracing from the sides of the backbone to the top and bottom of the fuse, like you see on some flat-plane foamies. What do people think about that?

Neil
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:46 PM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
963 Posts
With 3DHS EPP planes, it (bracing) works very well.. And with their 33" Extra 330, they just brace one side. I've only had the one rear brace come lose, and I just re-attach it with Welder. I like to do a lot of very low knife edges, so I've snagged the ground numerous times..

What diameter rod do you propose?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:45 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,122 Posts
I hadn't gotten that far in my thinking. But I think the 1.2m planes would need something a bit beefier than the really thin stuff used on the smaller ones. I'm going to check and see what kind of CF rods I have lying around and maybe try some experiments.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:02 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,867 Posts
Maidened yesterday with no issues. I use thin ca for carbon and low temp hot glue for airframe. I always add 2 flat carbon pieces to tail section on flat epp planes. 1 inserted in the foam and the other flat ontop to create a "T". CA the carbon together and hot glue around. I also use the hot glue weld fillet. I had no visable tail twist and switched to a larger motor/battery combo after first flight. The main wing flexes some with high g pullouts with the heavier setup. I will probably add bamboo skewars on a diagonal between the rudder and elevator as I did with the smaller version. These rc factory planes rock and I was suprised how well the larger one tumbles.
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0