HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:46 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Big Sukhoi Update

I flew the plane again today for the first time since my last flight report, and I'm happy to say that I had a much better time. I adjusted the neutral point on the ailerons (which can be a bit subjective on these RCF planes since you just have to eyeball the wing and come up with a neutral point that looks right). Mine were reflexed down a bit, and moving them up helped with trim and KE coupling. I also moved the CG about 2cm forward of where I had it, and found that the plane tracked much more to my liking. Finally, I got two new 1550 mAh batteries that provide a bit more punch on my power system. The plane is now flying much more the way I imagined it would. KE coupling is almost gone (can be mixed out easily with a rudder-elevator mix), tracking is better, and maneuvers can be flown with much more precision. The elevator is very responsive and the plane is even more agile in pitch than my smaller RCF Yak 55. I think I will do some bracing of the horizontal stab, but the "floppiness" seemed to be much less of a problem than I had thought it was last week. I really like how slowly the plane flies 3D maneuvers -- a lot of time to think about what you're doing and a great 3D practice plane.

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:19 PM
Jan Spatny
Czech republic
Joined Nov 2004
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Any updates????......! biznitch, the RS-352 is only available in the smaller size....
Hi Daniel,
guess what is sitting on my table right now. Don't worry, 1,2m version is in process of testing. There are going to be small modifications but I can say you're going to love it. I will post video soon.

Jan
HonzaS is offline Find More Posts by HonzaS
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
This looks nice. If I like the sukhoi I just finished today I may have to get this as well.

http://www.rc-factory.eu/inshop/scri...d=232&level=30
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:42 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
I finished mine today. It may be one of the heavier ones with my mods, extra extension and my heavy pack. 19.8 oz without battery and the battery is just under 7 oz. I have 6 of these packs already so I figured I would use them. also the packs work with my Stryker f27-Q.

I also got sick of waiting for welders so I started using Medium CA. Next time I do an EPP plane I will build it with CA and use the Welders on all repairs.
I will let you know when I fly it.
Joe A
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:39 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Interesting mods! Let us know how tat work out.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Interesting mods! Let us know how tat work out.
I just flew it 5 times. It flew OK. It did not track as well as I thought it would. I kept chasing the trims for a while. It seemed to get better after a little decreasing throws on the low end and increasing expo on the high end. It did not track as well as my old 48" DW juka but I did doink it in while low two times hard right on the nose and I was happy to see no damage at all. The DW would have been getting many pieces glued back together.

I did some avg amount of roll and pitch mixing for knife edge and moved the pack forward a bit and started to like the plane more. I was surprised it did a decent knife edge spin for how long it is. It also is very easy to hover. Power on the 70 gram omega motor on 3s packs was plenty. It climbed at half throttle pretty strong. It and the 40amp esc got hot but not hot enough to stop flying or hit a heat cut off. It was in the mid 90s outside.
I like the 12x6E over the slow fly for me since I have a big area I can fly behind my house and sometimes it gets windy.

Just when I was getting used to doing slow rollers with it I was on my last pack. I think I'll need more time with it. I do agree if you had to buy packs for it and did not have a bunch already I would go with a 1800 3s pack.

Joe A.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:25 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,246 Posts
Hey guys our friend from Czech ripped up a video for the 1.2m, snappy as hell for a big light and floaty foamie just like RCF likes them.
RC Factory SU29, 1.2m (2 min 41 sec)
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:13 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
I flew mine 5 more times today. I had to change radios since my x9303 aileron trim stopped working. I am thinking of adding some carbon connecting the elevator to the fuse. I notice it does twist. I'm not sure if it will help the tracking at all. It balanced on the recommended cg and I moved the pack up about an inch from that point. I'll play with it some more.
Joe
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:23 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Try a carbon spar through the length of the horizontal stab and then some angled rods from the stab to the fin. Should work well.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:31 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Try a carbon spar through the length of the horizontal stab and then some angled rods from the stab to the fin. Should work well.
I'll try that.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:47 AM
USA, MA, Woburn
Joined Oct 2008
297 Posts
Hey guys what do you think about the Hacker A30-28S motor for this plane?
Devil_Inside is offline Find More Posts by Devil_Inside
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:17 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Inside View Post
Hey guys what do you think about the Hacker A30-28S motor for this plane?
I am using the Torque 2830T/1095, which has nearly identical specs to the Hacker A30-28S. In fact, I have heard from one source that the Hacker and Torque motors are made at the same factory and are essentially identical apart from the different case. I'm using a 3 cell 1550 pack and an APC 11X5.5 prop, and I think it's a fine choice for a 70g motor for this plane. However, it's a bit sluggish for my taste and I'm wondering whether a 100g motor with a 13" prop might be a better fit.

Neil
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:21 PM
USA, MA, Woburn
Joined Oct 2008
297 Posts
I hear you about the Torque motors, but they actually cost the same if not more than Hacker so I personally would rather go with Hacker myself. I want to keep the airplane as light (and floaty ) as possible so 100g motor is out of the question for me. I think I've narrowed it down to the following 3 motor choices:

Hacker A30-28S
Hacker A20-12XL
AXI 2808/24

A friend of mine has the A30-28S on his SU-29 and seems to be doing great, but his ESC is weak and we haven't pushed the plane yet. He just recently ordered a 40A Hacker ESC so I can't wait to try the plane now. The only thing that I don't like about the A30 is that it pulls quite a bit of current with a 11x3.8 prop on a 3S LiPo - almost 40A!
I am also on a budget and I am trying to find a used motor to save a few $$$ so I guess I will go with whatever I can find, but I was just curious which one of those 3 motors would work best for this plane. Spec-wise they look almost identical so I am not sure if there is much difference between them, but I am fairly new to the electric planes and I wanted to make sure.
Devil_Inside is offline Find More Posts by Devil_Inside
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:20 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Inside View Post
I want to keep the airplane as light (and floaty ) as possible so 100g motor is out of the question for me.
That was my thinking as well, and I enjoy flying the plane on my current set up. But I'm just curious to see how it would do with a bit more punch. If I had the proper motor lying around I would just put it in and try it out. But I don't have one available and I don't want to buy another motor just for the sake of experimentation.

Neil
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:46 PM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
982 Posts
What would be a good choice at 100 g. in the Hacker line, if one was to consider a little more response?.. My MicroDan 3D on my 1.0 meter SU-29 is perfect.
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr