HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:52 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Discussion
RC Factory USA - Twisted Hobbys - 1.2m SU 29 Build Thread.

RC Factory SU 29 available in the USA @ www.Twistedhobbys.com

Hey guys! Time for another build thread! For those of you who have missed it up to now, Brad at Twisted Hobby is now carrying the RC Factory Lineup in addition to Telink and the Twisted Hobby brand EPP planes. Twisted Hobbys has become THE place to get your EPP planes in the USA!

In this thread I am going to be doing a build log with photos and videos. My goal here is to create a photo stream and dialog that you can follow in your building process that will go much more in depth than the manual and hopefully answer any questions you might have. Please post your questions we go along here and I will do my best to answer.

A note on glue: RCF in the manual suggest using CA to build this plane and while that may make the construction go very fast it also makes the foam very brittle. If built using Welders Adhesive as described here and then fixed with Welders Adhesive when you repair it, the plane will probably last longer than you would ever imagine.

These larger EPP planes that Twisted has been importing are a great addition to the lineup that they offer. With the Xtra Slick and smaller profiles filling the spaces on the first part of the learning curve these larger planes like the Telinks and RC Factory planes are a fantastic transition into balsa and heavier wing loading and more capable planes while still maintaining the ridiculous crashability that these planes have. We've been trying to wear out the Telink planes and have fallen in love with how well they fly, I think these new RCF planes might put up a good fight for the #1 EPP spot. Lets see how the build and flying go!

FLIGHT UPDATE:

Well, we have been flying this plane for a few weeks now and we are sorry that the updates haven't come faster. Usually when we are doing these build logs we have everything sorted out power system wise before we even start and we thought we had done so here too. However the motor and ESC that was recommended to us to start with was significantly too heavy for this plane. So heavy in fact that, even though the plane still flew well, it would not have been crash resistant enough to meet Twisted Hobby's standard of excellence and the extra weight really did impede flight characteristics. Even though Twisted had invested a lot of money in orders of speed controls and motors we decided to scrap them and start over. Major props to Twisted for doing the right thing before selling a sub par setup to the modeling public!

For those that want to know what is too heavy, as mentioned above, it was a setup similar to what a lot of people are flying on 48" electric planes with 3S 2650 batteries, a larger than normal 45 amp ESC and a big hunk of a motor swinging a 12X6 E prop. Based on what we have learned this plane is better suited for 1500 to 1800 3S (you could run 2200s ok but its on the top of the recommended limit), a 30 amp ESC and a motor more similar to the Telink planes. Main problem being that the motor we run in the Telink planes is struggling to turn an 11" SF prop and the large cowl of the 1.3M SU really means we need an 11" or 12" prop. Also because the motor has to be front mounted it limits the choices available. We have tried a few different motors and think we have found the right combination but we need to make sure the supplier will be able to get them to us before Brad will put them on his site.

Bottom line is you need a front mounted motor that will turn a 11-12" SF prop on 3S and give you 250-300 watts. Motrolfly has a 2610 -1100 that is right in the ballpark. As do many others.

Flight wise this thing is great! High points are it's elevator authority and precision flying. The thinner fuse to wing area ratio makes this a great plane for carving lines and slow rolling circles. The elevator authority makes it a great harrier plane and good for basic 3D maneuvers like waterfalls and walls. In comparison to the Telink lineup it is a lighter flying plane, has more elevator authority, has a slightly more bendy and twisty fuselage and is more suited to a slower flight regime.

It fits a slightly different niche than the Telinks. I think the Telinks are a good pre balsa plane and a good practice plane for those of us who fly balsa a lot. Whereas this 1.2m SU is a great all around foamy that flies more like a foamy and will feel very familiar to those who have flown things like the Xtra Slick and other small EPP planes. Don't get me wrong, the 1.2 will 3D all day long and I hope to show that in a video soon but it does have that foamy feel to it that gives you more time to think and react.

Video to come next.
Today I flew it with a 70 gram Motrolfly and an 1800 3s and it was pretty good. if I were to build it again I think I would put a tube int he fuse or ladder brace it in some way to reduce the twisting that the tail has.

--

For me this plane is the most fun to fly when it is light and floaty. it has very similar flight to some of the smaller profile Twited Hobbys birds on a light setup. For me the 3D performance of this plane starts to diminish when you get over 70 grams with the motor. The extra weight in the nose makes the tail more twisty.

In terms of which large Twisted Hobbys EPP planes to buy, I think the large RCF SU29 is good for a more floaty and relaxed setup and the Telink gear is more designed for higher performance and complexity. Not saying one is better than the other but different people would like each one.

Twisted Hobbys - RC Factory 1.2 Meter SU29 (2 min 29 sec)

-----

*** Important build update: Some people are concerned that I did not follow the directions as to the correct orientation of the fuselage back bone. The manual states that the elevator slot should be oriented up so that the horizontal stab is above the carbon spars running down the fuselage sided. Some people believe that having this piece inverted as I have done in this build log will reverse the right thrust built into the plane. Link to thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=61

***All updates will be in this first post so that people that come along in the future can just read here and not have to skim through 100s of pages.

Follow the build notes in the photos:
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Last edited by hercdriver7777; Sep 07, 2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Spellins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
Joined Jul 2007
120 Posts
Herc,

Awesome thread. Looking forward to the flight report. Also, I want to thank you for all of your threads on the Twisted line up. They are very informative, while still being objective. In fact, it is in part, your threads on the Twisted planes influenced my decision to purchase an Xtra Slick, and I am way glad that I did. One of the best planes I have flown. I was looking at a Telink, but after seeing this, might have to give the RCF line a look now. Decisions, decisions.
cglynn is offline Find More Posts by cglynn
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:37 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Wow... thats a good looking "little" foamie!!

The landing gear looks like it should hold up pretty well!! As does the motor mount!

Cant wait to see more!!
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:29 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,362 Posts
I want to get one of these, but my yak55, which is a year old is still going strong. They are simply the strongest, best designed and flying foamy out there. Besides gluing back in the odd chunk of foam and replacing hinges on rudder, I have never had to repair anything else, including the landing gear or mount. Despite having really small custom wheels and always tipping over on grass. Always broke the mount on other foamies.
Eagleburger is online now Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:40 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,577 Posts
Very cool Chris!! can't wait to see the flying video!!!, according to USPS tracking, i should be getting my Rc Factory RS 352 (Sbach) from Twisted Hobbys today!, crossing fingers, i will post pics of it!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
United Kingdom, Worthing
Joined May 2008
70 Posts
Great build thread Chris. This will no doubt become another important resource to send my customers to in the UK. Thank you for such great efforts.

Mark (ParkAero)
SparkyMarki is offline Find More Posts by SparkyMarki
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:03 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Great build once again Chris.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:34 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Pic stream updated with tonight's work.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:28 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Clever tail wheel assembly.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Jul 01, 2011, 07:41 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Pic stream updated with pics of servo installation. I did not get too far today before I had to quit but tomorrow it will be finished up and flown!
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:21 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
The RCG software starts to get weird around 125 pics. All the pics are in the right order for now.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 02:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jul 2007
96 Posts
Hi Hercdriver

Great to see lots of pics on this thread. Just wanted to ask a question though. Do the instructions say glue the cowl onto the fuselage? I have the original Yak55 and it does not say to glue the cowl on. This as it turns out is important as the only way to get the motor out easily to replace a bent shaft or other problem is to slide the cowl off from the front end. On my Yak the cowl is a very tight fit so it does not come off in flight - or any other time except with lots of force.

Is it easier to get to the motor on the bigger Su29?
MalcolmS is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmS
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:32 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
The instructions don't say anything but I dealt it was a loose fit so I glued it on. I think the 1.2m is big enough that you can snake the motor out.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:26 AM
Wantirna Sth Vic,Australia
Joined Jul 2006
336 Posts
Great work on the build thread! Do you know if the RS-352 comes out in the larger size?
biznitch is offline Find More Posts by biznitch
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:23 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,577 Posts
Any updates????......! biznitch, the RS-352 is only available in the smaller size....
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor