HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:44 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Discussion
World Model's Sky Raider Mach II as a second model?

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2927

I've flown my cubs to death and I think it's time to move on. My last two models I've been given have been disasters (and have completely put me off buying used planes ever again) so I'm now in the mindset of "build my own, fly my own, crash my own".

Having said that, I saw in another thread that this was a popular choice. Has anyone got any experience with this kit?

My other option is that HZ finally have the P51D Mustang PTS back in stock! $400 is a bit steep but it's basically RTF and I get a spare DX6i (which I'll use as a buddy box at the club).
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Pricing everything up I think I'm going to go with the Mustang PTS. For $400 RTF you really can't get a better deal than that, and I have precious little time to build things with my little one.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:47 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,619 Posts
The Sky Raider will work good as a second model IF you keep the power pulled back, fly on low rates for a while, and have somebody buddy box you until your ready to go solo on it. And it's stable enough to learn aerobatics (does a great slow roll from one end of the field to the other).

It will land a lot better than a trainer and just as slow. I've had/flown them with various engines and found the Super Tiger GS-40 with a Macs muffler a great setup for general sport flying (it won't give unlimited vertical, but is easy on the fuel), and the OS .46AX with pylon racing (gives unlimited vertical and close to 90 mph level speed).

It's also just about impossible to ground loop a Sky Raider. I've intentionally tried and can't do it - on several models. You can just hammer the throttle from a dead stop and it just goes forward.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Thanks Hog.

Is it an ARF or a kit?

NM Called them. It's an ARF. I think I'm going to pick one of these up as well in a solid color - probably orange.
Last edited by banzi28; Jun 29, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:26 PM
Standish, Maine
Joined Mar 2008
38 Posts
Quite a few new members of our club have used the Raider as a second plane. Use the recomended rates and they are fairly tame. They do land well. We have a lot of fun with the Raiders and a Thunder Tiger pro 40. There is about ten of us doing Club 40 pylon racing.
schizm is offline Find More Posts by schizm
Old Jul 01, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
It's a toss-up between this, the GP Escalade or the H9 P-51 PTS.

Still not sure which way to go.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 05:31 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,078 Posts
I don't like any of the PTS's......get the Raider
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Jul 01, 2011, 05:34 PM
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
I'm leaning in that direction. The kits are cheap and if I crash, it's a cheap fix. The P51 looks amazing but the fuse on its own is nearly $100!
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Well the PTS is out of stock again, so that's out. I was leaning away from it anyway simply because of the cost of repairs/spares. I'll pick it up at some point though simply because it's an awesome looking model.

So now we're down to the Sky Raider or the GP Escapade.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:15 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,078 Posts
banzi if you like Mustangs....then the PTS isn't it.....it's only a semi looking Mustang...what ever you get though have fun
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Jul 02, 2011, 01:34 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
I don't like any of the PTS's......get the Raider
I second it, get a mach 2, you wont regret it. but for god sakes, don't overpower it, with a good .40 size BB engine it's plenty fast but is easy to slow down and land.
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Jul 04, 2011, 05:54 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,966 Posts
let's start over from the beginning.
if you had a .40 sized 4 channel trainer, could you fly it a lot without tearing it up in a hurry?

second plane recommendations after that can be pretty wild. some people really do need something like "a first low wing sport plane". something that can do all normal aerobatics (to varying degrees) flies smoothly & doesn't get too bent out of shape as long as power is on. while others can just jump into a wild fun-fly plane, or a 3D plane and just keep the control throws & throttle low.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jul 04, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Yes, I have an aileron trainer right now that I can 3-point land from any direction and deadstick land as well. No problems in wind or with mild aerobatics/inverted. Only caveat is that it uses a 25 OS engine, not a 40.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 04:43 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Only caveat is that it uses a 25 OS engine, not a 40.
That doesn't matter, its the size of the engine relative to the model that matters, so a .40 on a Mach II will be fine. But do yourself a favour and apply some distinctive trim to one wing.

In my experience, one of the biggest issues people face when moving from high wing to low wing is disorientation. A wide band of a contrasting colour on the top of one wing will help no end.
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Jul 06, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Will do. Thanks mate.