HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by yomgui, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:03 AM
France, RA, Cormaranche-en-Bugey
Joined Feb 2011
563 Posts
Discussion
Torque test bench for electric motors

This homemade torque test bench gives very good results.

If the drive's resistance and no-load torque are known or well estimated, it allows to modelize a motor's performances with precision, based on amps, volts and rpm measurements.

Calculated values for power at the shaft are close to measured values, with an average error of 0,7% (max error = 3 %, but with the motor being run under bad conditions, with bad efficiency).

In fact, I think I can modelize a motor in a quite better way than only using amps, volts and rpm measurements (with kv thought as constant). BUT, it is very very close to any model taking into account inductance and to me it proves their reliability (thinking about drivecalc).

Well, I think...! I'm not at all a scientist...
yomgui is offline Find More Posts by yomgui
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:32 AM
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Sep 2012
194 Posts
Hi, I know this is slightly an old topic but I have been doing very similar tests using a wind tunnel. Could you explain to me how you measured the torque. Did u have a force balance because then you can find prop efficiency using eff=thrust x velocity/ power where power=torque x omega. How does motocalc calculate propeller efficiency as I haven't found torque of the motor anywhere. An eqn would be really helpful. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks!
stealthdragonb is offline Find More Posts by stealthdragonb