HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:19 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
Question
best 250 heli for "first time" real world 3d training

Hello All,
I am a long time fan of this forum. and have been reading many threads regarding this type of question but haven't been able to single out an answer to my questions.
My radio is a spectrum dx7 and and have owned a trex 450 for the last 5 years. I have flown it and successfully landed it successfully all but three times and even then only minor repairs. I guess this is thanks to my real flight 3.5 which i practice on before each flight. For some reason I have never attempted to learn real world 3d with my 450 heli. Now i am in the process of converting her to a 5 blade md-500E.
With this short back history and the desire to finally learn to fly 3D i would like to find the most recommended 250 3d heli for full time 3d practice form a true 3d beginner. im looking for a bird that can be repaired on a budget. The closest RC field is 30 miles away so I will be going solo for the real world 3D training.
I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, but also know with all the knowledge on this site from experienced veterans to trial and errors and even successes everyone here has had, i have a better shot at making the right heli choice the first time. and saving my hard earned cash to repair all my "learning curve crashes" from the field.
So here are my two questions:
1. What is the best least expensive 250 heli out there today for 3d practice ( taking into consideration a quality 3d setup). I have been looking at align 250 and blade cp pro2 but there may be some other brands out there that are better for my needs (a heli that will be crashed a lot) trust me.
2. is it cheaper to repair a 250 to a 450 when a 3d crash is involved.

Thanks for you time and I'm looking forward to your input. heli's angels
heli's angels is offline Find More Posts by heli's angels
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:13 AM
Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
162 Posts
Quote:
blade cp pro2
I've been a fan of E-Flite and what Horizon has done in the hobby for a long time. However, that Blade CP Pro in any version is an outdated p.o.s. in my opinion, and you'd be going backwards.
The T-Rex 250 is on the other hand an outstanding little heli.
It can be set up to do any kind of flying. I saw a video of one of todays top 3D'ers working out a stock T-Rex 250,and though not a 3D'er myself it was one impressive flight. Doug
doug47 is offline Find More Posts by doug47
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
12 Posts
i am perhaps the same as you. i have a 450 and a trex250se and can fly it decently. now i want to progress to learn 3D as well and i'm using a mcpx to do that. reason being it'll be cheaper to fix then the 250. it is an outstanding heli.
wallydragon is offline Find More Posts by wallydragon
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:41 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
mCPx is a good trainer that flies great.

If I was getting a 250 I would go for Align or Gaui, I love my Align 250, the mCPx is RTF, you have to build the 250 which will take a couple of days. I would start with the mCPx then get a 250 size as soon as I could afford it
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:29 PM
U.K.
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Will be buying a Blade 450 in a couple of weeks and looking at prices for spares it seems more wallet friendly than the trex's (250 included).
If you fly a 450 size heli already you may struggle to adapt to a smaller one (orientation) especially if you want to push your limits!
Still learning all the basics myself so I'm probably talking rubbish but it might be worth a look...
ChopSt1cks is offline Find More Posts by ChopSt1cks
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:34 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
my biggest issue is not wanting to crash as i'm sure is everyones i also believe that once I've gotten over this fear i wont be so tense during a maneuver and recovery will be less panicked reaction and more of a controlled response but unfortunately crashes needs to happen if I really want to be a good 3D pilot. So i would like to find a heli that will do this over and over again and still perform for me during this slow process. so far I've heard that a 450 will handle a little smoother than a 250. but the thought if learning on something a little smaller and a little more touchy will make me a better controlled pilot which in turn will make transitioning back to a 450 later (once I'm comfortable and not afraid of the dreaded crash) a breeze.
ewoodcox mentioned the mCPx which i never looked into maybe this is the way to go for now. i will watch some youtube videos and get a better understanding of this machine. Has anyone flown this bird 3d out of the box (bnf) if so whats your review. Flight traits, response, stability, reliability and average repair cost? thanks
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:38 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
for all the responses so far i am defiantly taking them all into consideration. researching each bird suggested on this post. reviews, repair costs and price. thanks again and keep them coming. heli's angels
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:03 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
So I've been watching some youtube vids on the mCPx and have to say its a durable little machine there was one post that better explained the workings of this little bird. goto youtube and check out "Thoughts & Tips on the Blade mCP X Helicopter" theres no flying just a 10 min, in depth look at the rotor and some things to watch out for. in some other vids i saw a pilot inverted inches from the ground and on a few occasions scrape the ground with the blades. it just kept on flying and one more where the pilot was attempting an inverted flight thru a truck window on his first attempt he hit the driver side mirror and it crashed to the ground but the amazing part to me was he picked it up and placed it back on the floor to try it again. pretty sweet if you ask me. this just might be what I'm looking for. seem like a tough little bird. but this is just one chopper down more to research. cheers
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:23 AM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
the mCPx is a great heli, flies as good as my 450 size which says allot for a micro heli.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:07 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
Ok so I'm weak, and those damn mcpx youtube videos got the best of me. I went out and purchased a mcpx on thursday. it took all of 5 min to set up my spectrum dx7 and bind it to the heli and another few minutes to make sure all the parts were secure. next thing you know the batteries were charged and i was outside in a pretty windy front yard flying with no problems. i have flown it around 20 times or so and I'm already doing moves i never would have tried on my 450. it handles so smooth and i have no problem keeping the orientation even at 40 feet and across the yard. best part is when i loose orientation during a move and don't find recovery a possibility, i just kill the power let it fall to the ground, pick it up and try again. this is defiantly a top notch transition heli for any one looking to kick it up a notch with their heli training, the mcpx is really is so forgiving. i should be learning the ins and out of real world 3d in a week or so. For anyone who's skeptical don't be this little bird is fast, responsive and very stable i love the responsiveness of flybarless head. the one difference between this heli and a 250 or above is the fixed blade tail rotor. its not as does not have the power of the bigger birds but hey for 9.5 inches and a $179.00 price tag ready to fly out of the box, it certainly delivers... BUT for me the best part is, I've crashed at least once during every flight due to trying new maneuvers i would not have dared on my trex 450 and my repair cost so far is $0. which in the long run means more time flying and less time ordering parts and inside making repairs. woohoo , cheers
Old Jul 02, 2011, 01:49 AM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
my philosophy to heli flying or any flying iis "dont care about crashing" just helps put your mind at ease and makes you concentrate more on the heli, but as ewoodox said the mcpx would be good for you to just basicly learn, or you could just stick with your 450, i just started hovering inverted with my 450 today after only an hour and a half of practise on g5.5 at my LHS.
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:54 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
congrats on the new heli heli's angels, fly over grass and the mCPX is sturdy Don't forget the 250, I highly recommend a Align or Gaui but I hear some of the clones are pretty good, I have a EXI250 but I have not built it yet so I can't say how good it is.

Congrats on the inverted flight rangamatchstic, very cool
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:59 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli's angels View Post
With this short back history and the desire to finally learn to fly 3D i would like to find the most recommended 250 3d heli for full time 3d practice form a true 3d beginner. im looking for a bird that can be repaired on a budget. The closest RC field is 30 miles away so I will be going solo for the real world 3D training.
I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, but also know with all the knowledge on this site from experienced veterans to trial and errors and even successes everyone here has had, i have a better shot at making the right heli choice the first time. and saving my hard earned cash to repair all my "learning curve crashes" from the field.
So here are my two questions:
1. What is the best least expensive 250 heli out there today for 3d practice ( taking into consideration a quality 3d setup). I have been looking at align 250 and blade cp pro2 but there may be some other brands out there that are better for my needs (a heli that will be crashed a lot) trust me.
2. is it cheaper to repair a 250 to a 450 when a 3d crash is involved.
your best bet is to get a 250 clone kit like CopterX ($55 shipped) or Tarot ($90 shipped) or EXI ($70 shipped) or the lowest priced HK250GT ($50 shipped), you should buy two kits that way you have all the spare parts or a whole new one to transplant electronics to if you total the first one.

for 3D you will have to do some homework to select the right electronics especially tail servo and gyro since 250s are a wild animal compared to 450s

read through these threads, all the 250 wisdom can be found there:

CopterX 250

HK250GT

EXI 250
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:12 PM
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
+1 on the mCP ... awesome for noobs like me
sirs69 is offline Find More Posts by sirs69
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:35 AM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
2 kits may be abit much, as no matter how hard you crash a heli not every part is going to bust, i usally buy the most likely to brake parts in bulk, just in case, such as main gear as they strip so about 3, one spare set of linkages, a spare tail assembely, preferable aluminium if possible, spare skids, 2 tail booms, 3 main shafts, 3 feathering shafts, 1 set of spare blade grips, spare control levers, 3 spare flybar and one set of paddles in case one is lost, one spare tail gear, one spare belt, 3 spare servo gears, and 4 sets of extra blades, thats what i started with, havent busted all those XD, and have stocked up with better spares as upgrades and more of the likely parts that brake, and thanks ewoodx has been exiting finaly pushing my heli and skills abit, cant wait till i can confidently fly around inverted.
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic