HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Discussion
AP Full Arducopter UAV Gasser Build.

Well, after screwing around for 5 years researching and experimenting in AP with both planes and helicopters, and with the ArduCopter open source platform maturing, I thought it was time to go nuclear and have a solid red hot go at a full UAV AP project.

The Heli used is a Raptor 90, converted to gas with the gasserman.com conversion. Using a G231PUH and of course the full Arducopter system with XBee Datalink and Ground Control Software, this ship should be fully capable of assigning real time waypoint command as well as geo hold camera control from a ground station laptop.

I am 90% done with the build, having only to aquire the engine and misc wiring etc. to finish her up. The current ETA for the engine is 3 weeks, plus a week of run in and who knows how many days/weeks of tuning to get the system set up.

I will use this thread to document my progress with this ship and my experience with Arducopter as I am a relative noob to these systems, my only previous experience setting up an AP2000i with a thermopile sensor on a Gas Futura.

I will receive the Ardu Gear in 2 or 3 days, so will post an unboxing report and my experience setting up and hardware in the loop testing with X-Plane.

Enjoy!
ben1101 is offline Find More Posts by ben1101
Last edited by ben1101; Jul 07, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Alright, I very much suck at keeping these things up to date, and I apologise to anyone who actually expected me to update this.

Well things have been happening, and still I am yet to place the order for the G231puh as lately my better half balances my expensive hobby with expensive haircuts, but I have progressed with the build and all the elecs have arrived and been tested.

Still in the middle of designing both the camera mount and the AP mount, and keep stalling due to incomplete designs of an anti vibration system however I am sure it involves O-Rings of which I have bought many.

Anyway here are some pics of the layouts I have thought about, with the latest being the re positioning of the servos into a 90 degree CCPM config so I can lop off the front of the frame to have more room for the camera mount.

The skids are so huge for flight testing the auto pilot, until I have the heli tuned I want to minimize the chances of tipover etc.

I expect to order the engine next week, so I guess in the weekend following next week I may be able to start testing.

Anyhoo, from the experience posted by other traditional heli arducopter user's on diydrones.com, it really looks like this platform will perform well!
Last edited by ben1101; Aug 11, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Reserved for updates 2.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Reserved for updates 3.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 09:46 PM
United States, WA, Longview
Joined Feb 2008
496 Posts
thanks for sharing

Looking forward to you project. I used the AP2000i for a while too and I was thinking of going with Ardu as well..... Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1101 View Post
Well, after screwing around for 5 years researching and experimenting in AP with both planes and helicopters, and with the ArduCopter open source platform maturing, I thought it was time to go nuclear and have a solid red hot go at a full UAV AP project.

The Heli used is a Raptor 90, converted to gas with the gasserman.com conversion. Using a G231PUH and of course the full Arducopter system with XBee Datalink and Ground Control Software, this ship should be fully capable of assigning real time waypoint command as well as geo hold camera control from a ground station laptop.

I will use this thread to document my progress with this ship and my experience with Arducopter as I am a relative noob to these systems, my only previous experience setting up an AP2000i with a thermopile sensor on a Gas Futura.

I will receive the Ardu Gear in 2 or 3 days, so will post an unboxing report and my experience setting up and hardware in the loop testing with X-Plane.

Enjoy!
charosenz is offline Find More Posts by charosenz
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
small update guise!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:56 AM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
I really suck, for reals.

OK, I have started posting in my Blog, had an issue with the OILPan IMU as the ftdi connection is faulty, so with no more options to explore (Including taking the ArduPilotMega ftdi connecters from the Oilpan with it plugged in to hopefully give me full access with not so much success (although the ACM board's ftdi connector worked perfectly)) I will have to replace the oilpan - and yes I am still waiting to order an engine cuz my gf has things called "haircuts" and "Trips to Raratonga" to keep me broke haha but soon yes very soon (Estimate about 14-15 weeks delay now)..

So check my RCGroups blog I guess...

Ben