HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:19 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
735 Posts
Crew Figures....

I found this site for figures.....Some very detailed and nice looking figures. Unfortunately, the available scales are too small. I wonder if they could scale them up for us RC enthusiasts?

http://www.peoplescale.com/?gclid=CP...FSFyQgod-2oATA

Look under the Military and Naval & Air force categories and you'll see some nice 1/35th and 1/48th scale WWII Army Pilots along with all of the ground and support crews, too!

I think we need about 1/17th scale to be the right size for the Hobbyking B-17.
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:27 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
735 Posts
Some more....but they are expensive....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Box-BBI...item4d078d88ee

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTIMATE-SOL...item564b9c09da

I'd be interested, too... if anybody knows a good source!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:54 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,413 Posts
That second pilot figure looks good but you are right on being expensive. I looked on PW-RC and could not find his B-17 pilots. I guess he does not carry them anymore. Glad I have mine.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
Gill, MA
Joined Apr 2006
213 Posts
The second one is what I used. They are 1/18 scale and someone in an earlier
post had said the plane is 1/17. I got two of them for 29.98 with free shipping.
Still kind of expensive when you're just going to cut them down to fit.
Here's a couple of pics whit them in it. (wish I had a better camera)

Greg
deerdad is offline Find More Posts by deerdad
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:04 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
That second pilot figure looks good but you are right on being expensive. I looked on PW-RC and could not find his B-17 pilots. I guess he does not carry them anymore. Glad I have mine.

Alan
You can still get them, but you have to buy the whole cockpit set....which, at $30, is comparable to the 1/18 UM pilots.

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/products_id/2048
CarToon is offline Find More Posts by CarToon
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:38 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Hi guys...nice photos and work on all your B-17s.
I had my silver Liberty Bell all finished and ready to maiden about 4 months ago. She came out real nice.

Long story short....she suffered some bad 'hanger rash' that caused me to just toss it into the spare bedroom in frustration.

I just pulled it out and am trying to restore her. I got the fuselage all back looking brand new now. It's the wing I have to fix up now. The left retract leg got bent over to the side so I have removed it and will try to bend it back straight.

The cowls were pulled open...the upper and lower seams separated. The top of the wing has crease lines going across it. Luckily not all the way through, more cosmetic than anything. The inner cowl suffered the same crease lines.
The creases were made by weight being applied from the top, so the wing bowed in the middle enough to create the creases and bend the gear.

I am trying to figure out the best glue to use to bring the cowls back together. Obviously it needs to be a strong glue that will hold well...taking the weight and power from the motors and landing gear. What glue has worked for you guys on this EPO foam? I know epoxy doesn't stick and CA is too brittle.

Any ideas about minimizing the crease lines? I plan to go ahead and install a CA rod across the area of the creases (between the motor cowls..mid-wing) on the bottom....just in case there is some weakness.

I know some of the Apollo field guys have had some mishaps so hopefully some suggestions are available.

Thanks guys,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:09 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,332 Posts
Crew Figures. Someone may want to contact that PeopleScale company and inform them of our needs. Perhaps, a group commission would be enough incentive for them to make a set. I am going to look into the 3D printing to see if it is cheaper that way.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:57 AM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Hi guys...nice photos and work on all your B-17s.
I had my silver Liberty Bell all finished and ready to maiden about 4 months ago. She came out real nice.

Long story short....she suffered some bad 'hanger rash' that caused me to just toss it into the spare bedroom in frustration.

I just pulled it out and am trying to restore her. I got the fuselage all back looking brand new now. It's the wing I have to fix up now. The left retract leg got bent over to the side so I have removed it and will try to bend it back straight.

The cowls were pulled open...the upper and lower seams separated. The top of the wing has crease lines going across it. Luckily not all the way through, more cosmetic than anything. The inner cowl suffered the same crease lines.
The creases were made by weight being applied from the top, so the wing bowed in the middle enough to create the creases and bend the gear.

I am trying to figure out the best glue to use to bring the cowls back together. Obviously it needs to be a strong glue that will hold well...taking the weight and power from the motors and landing gear. What glue has worked for you guys on this EPO foam? I know epoxy doesn't stick and CA is too brittle.

Any ideas about minimizing the crease lines? I plan to go ahead and install a CA rod across the area of the creases (between the motor cowls..mid-wing) on the bottom....just in case there is some weakness.

I know some of the Apollo field guys have had some mishaps so hopefully some suggestions are available.

Thanks guys,
Ken
Try Pacer 560 canopy glue. Dries clear, remains flexible, doesn't shrink, and bonds foam and plastic great. My Belle suffered a bad crash last summer. Broke the fuse in half, wings in half, and all 4 engine nacelles broke off the wing. Took a whole bottle but good as new

http://www.amazon.com/Pacer-Formula-.../dp/B0006O8EVM
pomroyj is offline Find More Posts by pomroyj
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:01 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
...I am going to look into the 3D printing to see if it is cheaper that way.

3D Printing them is an interesting idea. (I used to work for 3D Systems Co back in the 90's, when it was located in CA. They are probably the leader in 3D Printing with a variety of patents on different technologies and materials.)

http://www.3dsystems.com/

But if you don't already have a CAD file, in order to print the figures, you'll still need buy the figures so that they can be scanned and digitized to produce an .stl file format used by the 3D printer. Then scale those files to the appropriate size, and then decide which printing technology will produce the desired results.

I think scanning is going to be more expensive than just finding some commercially available toy figures.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:35 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,332 Posts
One of these 3D print shops started near where I live. I plan first to have them quote me on making a pilot figure out of my father's bust in 1/12 scale. If it looks promising I'll let everyone know.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:52 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
735 Posts
Cool idea! BTW....altadena isn't too far from Apollo Field....you need to come out and fly with the squadron next year!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:25 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,413 Posts
Quit I'm in for 2 waist gunners and a bombardier.

BTW what did your Dad fly in WWII?

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:46 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,332 Posts
He flew Wacos and PT-17s. He was the first class washed out in 1943 due to the tide change of the war--losing less pilots. He actually got hurt in a car accident while going home on leave that put him back a month that put him in the class that got washed out. He probably would have seen some action if it wasn't for the car accident. He was station on an island in the Pacific--Alameda Naval Air Station.LOL He did see a lot of his friends get killed in action so I don't think that getting washed out upset him too much.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:00 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,332 Posts
Hey this 3D printing might just work. The 3D printer said that depending on the detail needed and the quantity the price is between $60.00 down to $30 depending on the quantity and quality of the scan. Correct me if I have been told wrong, but the scanning is most of the cost. There are also different scanners and they all have their own quality issues and compromises. I am going to do it. I just have to wait one month for the better scanner to arrive. The guys current scanner apparently is not good enough for what I want.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:38 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
735 Posts
B-17 Squadron 2013....

The Apollo Field B-17 Squadron got it's first call to action in 2013 on Wednesday. A nice day of flying, but a cold (relatively speaking, for all of you in the snow! )

Mike (our "embedded press corps"), captured these great action shots.

Happy New Year to everybody!