HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:56 AM
Capt, USAF
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2009
919 Posts
I snatched one up as well... I owned the other HK B-17 and loved it, but it's size and wing mounting method made transportation a major pain. I doubt this one will be a whole lot better in that department, especially since it's even larger, but I still want to give it a try because I love the B-17 in general.

The split flaps and lights are awesome, but I really hate that they just leave the tail wheel hanging there the whole time. That has to be my one of my biggest pet peeves about the RC industry today - shortcuts on tail-dragger retracts where only the mains go up/down. It looks horrendous but I suppose it does save them some dollars. Could you imagine if someone designed a new RC model of a B-2 and only the mains retracted?! Trike or dragger, do all 3 or do none at all IMO.

I couldn't find a lot of detail on previous flight reports (Looks like it was pretty hard to get this model stateside until the USA HK warehouse stepped in). What's the early verdict on the model? The video above shows good flight characteristics but I'm wondering what issues may be surfacing as the first batch of owners build and fly this thing.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
Ok the 1 cent shipping was the clincher. Get em while there hot. The lack of a bomb bay is ok. The panel lines are unfortunate. You can see in the video the lines will be very visible.
Maybe they grow on you??
I hope I don't have to fill/repaint.
Great price on a big classic..
To me it's not only the panel lines, but also the glossy paint and lack of decals on the green version.
I'd get the silver version only, but don't know who sells it outside of the US...
Any clue?

Cheers,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:27 PM
EDF Addict
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2005
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradude View Post
I have this plane on the way, has anybody got it yet? Any mods needed before first flight?
This thread has some info:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1462786
huggett is offline Find More Posts by huggett
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:08 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,324 Posts
The gloss an be taken care of easily with a can of matte or flat finish spray. Just have to tape off the glass. The panel lines are deep and the decals are off but for $220 it's hard to beat for a B-17 of this size.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:06 PM
Joined Dec 2010
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggett View Post
Thanks huggett, finding out the names they sell them under is a lesson in itself[/I]
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:51 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,278 Posts
Hope they also get the silver version. Lot better in the sun then the green.

--Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:11 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
The gloss an be taken care of easily with a can of matte or flat finish spray. Just have to tape off the glass. The panel lines are deep and the decals are off but for $220 it's hard to beat for a B-17 of this size.
Don't agree... spraying a model of this size with flat clear is quite some work, you gotta mask the canopy etc.
I am ok with the panel lines, as long as they are the only issue.
Sure the $220 are a bargain, but the silver version doesn't cost any more than that, however the finish of the paint appears to be a lot better and the decals are far more numerous and detailed, at least that's what the pics suggest.

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:13 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltpilot View Post
To me it's not only the panel lines, but also the glossy paint and lack of decals on the green version.
I'd get the silver version only, but don't know who sells it outside of the US...
Any clue?

Cheers,
Bernhard

The silver one from EasyTiger is $379 + shipping. http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...roducts_id=270 It's twice the price! I can buy a lot of cans of Krylon clear flat and decals with the $200+ in savings by purchasing the green HK version....basicaly, it's the same plane. In fact, with the money saved, you could even buy a spare.

Personally, I think the HK green version is an absolute steal with the .01 cent shipping! (and it's avaialble in the US now)

In fact, I bought one yesterday. Can't wait to build it and give it an olive drap repaint.

Love all these multi-engine warbirds that are available now!
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Last edited by pilot40874; Jul 11, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:35 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Hmm, didn't lnow the silver one was double the price... I think I saw both versions before at the same price...
Ah yep, here you go:
http://www.hlcshop.fr/avion-rc-maxi-warbird-wwii.html
It is the one designated "B-17 XXXL Lanxiang". 370€ is a LOT though, a lot more than ET want for their version. Can't afford the shipping fee from the US though

Anyway, the plane that HK sells seems to be the same, but is it really?
Or is there a lower quality HK version like with the J-Power P-38?

Gotta ask HK if they're gonna have the silver scheme also...
They want some $191 from HongKong, where the S&H is an additional wooping $80
They have it in the US and the AUS warehouse, but not in the Euro warehouse... don't know why, time to send an email to HK I guess...

Those $220 plus ZERO S&H are a really good deal, too bad we don't get it over here...

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:19 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltpilot View Post
Hmm, didn't lnow the silver one was double the price... I think I saw both versions before at the same price...
Ah yep, here you go:
http://www.hlcshop.fr/avion-rc-maxi-warbird-wwii.html
It is the one designated "B-17 XXXL Lanxiang". 370€ is a LOT though, a lot more than ET want for their version. Can't afford the shipping fee from the US though

Anyway, the plane that HK sells seems to be the same, but is it really?
Or is there a lower quality HK version like with the J-Power P-38?

Gotta ask HK if they're gonna have the silver scheme also...
They want some $191 from HongKong, where the S&H is an additional wooping $80
They have it in the US and the AUS warehouse, but not in the Euro warehouse... don't know why, time to send an email to HK I guess...

Those $220 plus ZERO S&H are a really good deal, too bad we don't get it over here...

Cheers,
Bernhard

It's a good question, but for the money....I'm willing to become a ginnea-pig! The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the "pineapple look" due to the large panel lines, but I can learn to live with them. A working bomb bay would be cool to have, but again, I can live without it; and maybe think about adding something later like this guy did: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=30

I also noticed that the larger one only has 20 amp ESC's as opposed to the 30 amp ESC's that are in the 63" version. I'm hoping that the smaller motors will be enough. Based on what I read, the smaller version had PLENTY of power. In fact, rarely was more than 1/3-1/2 power used.

This larger model, with more wing area, will probably be pretty efficient. I guess time will tell, but I'm REALLY looking forward receiving the 1875mm (73.8") B-17 from HK.... and it even comes with lights and split flaps!

Anybody else have there's yet and can give us some good tips?
Last edited by pilot40874; Jul 11, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:15 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
So this is NOT the Starmax version?

If not that's one reason I can wait to spend 220skins....that price is a steal though!!!
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:32 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
No, the Starmax is slightly larger than this one...
This bird is from Lanxiang.

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:04 AM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,278 Posts
I think this one looks better then the larger Starmax. Still, I'm trying hard to hold out for the silver version. Might go with the green down the road and fill the fuse panel lines and re-paint. Let's hope HobbyCitty gets the silver.

--Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
I too picked up this B-17 even though I already have the other HK 17. I wanted to compare it and figured I would keep the best one out of the two! Even with the deep lines, lack of a tail retract I think it is still a killer deal for $219 + $.01 shipping. I've paid more than that for smaller, less detailed planes!
wavo is offline Find More Posts by wavo
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:08 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker View Post
I think this one looks better then the larger Starmax. Still, I'm trying hard to hold out for the silver version. Might go with the green down the road and fill the fuse panel lines and re-paint. Let's hope HobbyCitty gets the silver.

--Stacker

...a $5 can of Kryon silver spraypaint would take care of the color and Callie can take care of the decals. I'd get this deal while it's still available with the .01 cent shipping if you really want a large B-17. It's a steal at this price! And, it certainly won't get much cheaper than this.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that the EasyTiger (silver version) might never be available from HobbyKing, as it seems each distributor maintains a slightly different paint scheme in order to have something unique to offer.