HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
78 Posts
They know have another one listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-B-17-Memp...item3a7bcfb6d5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebelling1 View Post
I purchased mine through HOBBYKING on ebay. They have it listed at 262.14 or best offer. I made an offer and they made a counteroffer of 230.00, which I accepted. Shipping was a 29.99 shipped to SC. Received today, seven days after purchased.
Have not open box yet, it was shipped USPS.
Here is the link to ebay for the one they have currently listed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=261124361382
ebelling1 is offline Find More Posts by ebelling1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:55 PM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
Red Brick 30a ESC

Any one using these? I've got two to replace the stock 20a jobs that smoked. Any advice on setting these up? Looks like I have to de-solder the wires off the old stocker and the new red brick and then solder the stocker wires on to the brick to get everything to plug in right. HK's site is down at the moment so I can't get a programming manual. But do I need one? What's the chance that once wired up these new red bricks are plug n play? I'm using these for #2 & #3 inboard motors.
52Sabre is offline Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:31 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
722 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to all the yanks....

The weather was perfect for some flying today...light winds, sunny skies, a few white clouds and cool temps, so I went out to Apollo by myself today and had some more fun with the B-17. Mike captures these stills from some of todays flights.

BTW, I went through my logbook for some grins the other day, and here are the totals:

2 Engine Failures

3 Catastrophic Prop Blade Failures (during the time I was experimenting with various propeller brands!)

4 Midairs....(w/ various members of the B-17 Squadron)

5 T/O & Landing incidents (most before I learned how to land in crosswind conditions!)

6 Receiver/Electrical Brownouts

15 catastrophic crashes and subsequent repairs!

1072 flights....and still going!!

She's pretty war weary and battle scared, as you can tell from some of the photos, but it's been a good 'ol bird and I hope to keep her flying proud for another 1000.

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody!
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined May 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot40874 View Post
The weather was perfect for some flying today...light winds, sunny skies, a few white clouds and cool temps, so I went out to Apollo by myself today and had some more fun with the B-17. Mike captures these stills from some of todays flights.

BTW, I went through my logbook for some grins the other day, and here are the totals:

2 Engine Failures

3 Catastrophic Prop Blade Failures (during the time I was experimenting with various propeller brands!)

4 Midairs....(w/ various members of the B-17 Squadron)

5 T/O & Landing incidents (most before I learned how to land in crosswind conditions!)

6 Receiver/Electrical Brownouts

15 catastrophic crashes and subsequent repairs!

1072 flights....and still going!!

She's pretty war weary and battle scared, as you can tell from some of the photos, but it's been a good 'ol bird and I hope to keep her flying proud for another 1000.

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody!
Hi Mike ,

Thanks for your very nice photos~~~~You are a good pilot and professional cameraman

Keep going~~Waiting for your another 1000.

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody !

Best regards!
Suzanne
suzanne lee is offline Find More Posts by suzanne lee
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:07 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
Red Brick programming

This is apparently the current programming sheet for the latest crop of red bricks. dated 22 Aug 2012
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X447211X48.pdf
Simple enough. Can only program 3 things. Still a little confusing and somewhat vague. I was able to disable the brake which was shipped enabled on mine. The other ESC programming sheets and on-line video does not match the simple beep tones of this new 30a red brick.

Update: Red Brick 30a installed on inboard motors. Brakes were on shipped. Followed simplified programming method and was able to disable brakes on both so props are free wheeling when throttled back as with the stock 20a units. Only problem Is they start a tad later than the stock outboard units and also a bit more abruptly. But they seem quite reliable and I should be able to fly like this ok,
Last edited by 52Sabre; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:05 PM
Pasadena, California
Joined Feb 2010
590 Posts
Second pic appears to show right rudder with left aileron? Do you mix rudder/aileron.

BTW, not trying to critisize . . . . sir.
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:46 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum View Post
Second pic appears to show right rudder with left aileron? Do you mix rudder/aileron.

BTW, not trying to critisize . . . . sir.

No mixing....just the result of trying to keep the plane from nosing over into the ground while attempting a knife edge" (or as near a knife is you can do in an extremely underpowered, heavy bomber! ) during a low altitude "show pass" for the camera man! That's full rudder deflection, and it still wasn't nearly enough to keep it from wanting to roll over toward terra firma.
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Last edited by pilot40874; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
Pasadena, California
Joined Feb 2010
590 Posts
Knife edge.....

In a bomber.....

Why of course.

Love it.

Great pics
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:34 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
What ESC??

I asked this question before but I got zero response. Wound up replacing two stock ESC's with red brick since I didn't know any better. They seem to run ok but start up a little harsher and a tad later than stock. They also get pretty warm. Now I've ordered 4 identical Turnigy deluxe 20a ESC's http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=26498 hoping I'll be able to program them to operate much smoother and cooler. Comments please!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:59 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
I asked this question before but I got zero response. Wound up replacing two stock ESC's with red brick since I didn't know any better. They seem to run ok but start up a little harsher and a tad later than stock. They also get pretty warm. Now I've ordered 4 identical Turnigy deluxe 20a ESC's http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=26498 hoping I'll be able to program them to operate much smoother and cooler. Comments please!
I don't know how you had your ESC's hooked up originally or why you had problems so I can just tell you what I did.
My ESC's are still the stock units but I removed the RED wire from all of them and installed a Castle creations 10 amp bec that gets its power from one of the lipo packs. Just be sure you calibrate the throttle range on all of the ESC's so they will start about the same time. The bec's in the factory ESC's have linear regulators and all of them tied together did not seem like a good idea. I'm not sure how the switch mode regulators in the ESC's you are getting from HobbyKing will work if they are tied together using the factory throttle quad extension harness if that is what you are going for. There are quite a few servos in this plane and I didn't want to chance it with all of those regulators fighting each other to maintain 5 volts for the receiver, but that is just my two cents.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:20 PM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
Why are you abandoning the red bricks? I'd just put one on each side, matching either the outboard or inboard motors so there's no left/right thrust asymmetry. Heck, that would be more scale since a full scale starts one engine at a time
pomroyj is online now Find More Posts by pomroyj
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:43 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomroyj View Post
Why are you abandoning the red bricks? I'd just put one on each side, matching either the outboard or inboard motors so there's no left/right thrust asymmetry. Heck, that would be more scale since a full scale starts one engine at a time
I haven't yet. I have them inboard for #2 & #3. They work, but kick in a tad later than the two outboard with stock ESCs.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:06 PM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
I haven't yet. I have them inboard for #2 & #3. They work, but kick in a tad later than the two outboard with stock ESCs.
Is that a problem?
pomroyj is online now Find More Posts by pomroyj
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:42 PM
Gill, MA
Joined Apr 2006
213 Posts
Now that I have this plane on the way, I'm looking to get the FMS props and spinners. Is there a place that sells them together that will accept paypal? I don't know if pw rc does paypal.

Greg
deerdad is offline Find More Posts by deerdad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:04 PM
Gill, MA
Joined Apr 2006
213 Posts
Never mind. I figured it out.

Greg
deerdad is offline Find More Posts by deerdad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)