HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:05 AM
Cowboy of the skys
United States, Mt, Whitefish
Joined Oct 2010
1,111 Posts
aros man its worth it. ive been up in liberty belle 2 times before the accident 909 once and aluminum overcast once and the b24 witchcraft i paid for these rides with money i earned wile serving in iraq

my grandfather flew the b-17 in ww2 so every time i got the chance id go up in them. id much rather give 425 to keep these planes in the air where they belong then to look at them on the ground and not hear the sounds of the past and yes i have donated to the liberty foundation with hopes that there able to save the belle (people have rebuilt them from alot less then her remains)

the b-17 is my passion my wife calls them my mistresses but she say if i wana donate parts of my hobby budget to them its my choice. and i will with hopes that my new born son will someday lift off in a b-17 just like his father, grandfather and his great grandfather (who he will be named after) did back in 1943. the b-17 will always have a place in my heart and family
warbird_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by warbird_cowboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:32 AM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
679 Posts
Long live mistresses, lol. Took mine out Saturday and had another 4 trouble free flights, everything worked as advertised. I also tried a flight with a single 3s 5000mah lipo - perfect. Took a couple of vids which I shall post ASAP.
Vic Arcudi is offline Find More Posts by Vic Arcudi
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:41 AM
Cowboy of the skys
United States, Mt, Whitefish
Joined Oct 2010
1,111 Posts
awsome...another 91st bg b-17........i guess DF A reporting marks were lucky because lady luck also survived the war just like the memphis belle
warbird_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by warbird_cowboy
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:03 AM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
679 Posts
I've yet to see a B-17 movie that isn't about the 91st, lol. I did the 'Lady Luck' because I had an old set of Royal/Marutaka decals sitting there collecting dust. Unfortunately the serial numbers on the tail were WAY oversize, so they had to be slimmed down one by one 3/32" all round. I also had to paint the triangle A on the wing myself (more masking). The next I do will probably be a 'G'.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
Your plane really turned out nice, Vic. It looks sharp all painted up and smoothed out!

It's a beauty!
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:41 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Arcudi View Post
Long live mistresses, lol. Took mine out Saturday and had another 4 trouble free flights, everything worked as advertised. I also tried a flight with a single 3s 5000mah lipo - perfect. Took a couple of vids which I shall post ASAP.

Hurry up with those vids, Vic!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:14 PM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Arcudi View Post
Beautiful refinish job!! Love the brown color scheme
pomroyj is online now Find More Posts by pomroyj
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_cowboy View Post
aros man its worth it. ive been up in liberty belle 2 times before the accident 909 once and aluminum overcast once and the b24 witchcraft i paid for these rides with money i earned wile serving in iraq

my grandfather flew the b-17 in ww2 so every time i got the chance id go up in them. id much rather give 425 to keep these planes in the air where they belong then to look at them on the ground and not hear the sounds of the past and yes i have donated to the liberty foundation with hopes that there able to save the belle (people have rebuilt them from alot less then her remains)

the b-17 is my passion my wife calls them my mistresses but she say if i wana donate parts of my hobby budget to them its my choice. and i will with hopes that my new born son will someday lift off in a b-17 just like his father, grandfather and his great grandfather (who he will be named after) did back in 1943. the b-17 will always have a place in my heart and family
That's awesome! I agree that the donation fee for taking a ride is more than worth it to keep these national treasures skyward. I just need to take some time off spending it all on RC! Shoot, I could have taken rides in B-17s and B-25s 15 times over based on what I've spent on this hobby (not to mention I would have my PPL twice by now, LOL)!

Oh and Vic, I almost forgot how sweet your bird looks! Great job once again.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:20 PM
Southampton,UK.
Joined Apr 2004
4 Posts
Gws props

Had 4 perfect flights with my new HK B-17 Saturday . Tried HK's gws 10x6 two blade props (HK code HCB-10 & $3 for 6 props ),and she flew on 50-60% power . Did some static tests beforehand and got these results:- 3s 5000 25c lipo - 1 motor - kit 3blade = 132watts 11amp , gws 10x6 170watts 15amp (x4=680w =100w/pound =ideal).The props are an exact fit (even a recess for the nuts! ).
after 6 minute flight I had used about 2000mah from the pack.
this plane is awesome, a pussycat to fly
thanks to all for your interesting & very usefull info you have supplied.

pic from 1st flight - no wind & fog just clearing.

keith.
Soloflyer is offline Find More Posts by Soloflyer
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:40 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Welcome to the club!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3 Posts
Reciever Location

I have started to assemble my HK B17 over the weekend.

I am going to have to remove the wing every time I transport it.

I was thinking I could mount the receiver to the wing, make the hole in the wing saddle longer to clear the receiver.

Then I would only have to pass the battery cable up through the fuse and plug in the rudder / elevator at the field.

Any one else try this ?

Thanks
tony308 is offline Find More Posts by tony308
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:53 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony308 View Post

I was thinking I could mount the receiver to the wing, make the hole in the wing saddle longer to clear the receiver.

Then I would only have to pass the battery cable up through the fuse and plug in the rudder / elevator at the field.

Any one else try this ?

Thanks
Yes I did exactly that with an AR6100 RX and have had no problems with it so far. It's much easier running just two wires for servos and the two esc batt leads then hooking up all the connections needed in the wing.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:40 PM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
679 Posts
Quote:

Any one else try this ?

Thanks
That's exactly what I did too!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:22 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
Quote:

Any one else try this ?

Thanks

That makes three of us! I don't even mount the receiver. All I do is just plug/unplug the elevator and rudder servo leads from the receiver and then push it through the small hole and bolt the wings on. Usually takes me less than a minute once I get to the field to have it ready to fly.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:07 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,049 Posts
Yep. same here. I enlarged the hole in the fuse too. It's really nice. However transporting the one piece wing is kind of a pain.

The new LX 2000mm Nine O Nine is going to be a real pain. The ESC's are in the fuse, not the wing. You can seperate the wings for transport but everything must be unplugged from the rec. & to seperate the wings. It takes a good 20 minutesto put the thing together.
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut