HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:45 AM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,485 Posts
Very nice photos Pilot!
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:37 PM
Registered User
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Very nice photos Pilot!
Thanks Skyline.

BTW, I saw your working chin turret mod on the other thread. Awesome job!

Here's the link to Skylines mod for those that havn't seen it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post19828905
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:43 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Wittmann
Joined Oct 2011
113 Posts
[QUOTE=NewPil0t;19824731]Stalled her with stock props then repaired nose and upgraded to FMS props and spinners. Now flying at 60% throttle. Much better.

How are those retracts holding up on that P-38? Are they servoless?
Wittmann Air is offline Find More Posts by Wittmann Air
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:57 PM
Registered User
NewPil0t's Avatar
United States, CA, Hermosa Beach
Joined Feb 2011
168 Posts
[QUOTE=Wittmann Air;19831726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPil0t View Post
Stalled her with stock props then repaired nose and upgraded to FMS props and spinners. Now flying at 60% throttle. Much better.

How are those retracts holding up on that P-38? Are they servoless?
Yes, the retracts are very sturdy. No problems at all. They also seem very easy and inexpensive to replace if necessary.
NewPil0t is offline Find More Posts by NewPil0t
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:18 PM
Registered User
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
The Apollo Field B-17 Squadron....

Another beautiful day of flying in So. CA....
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Last edited by pilot40874; Nov 09, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:01 PM
Registered User
Česká republika, Hlavní město Praha, Praha
Joined Nov 2011
144 Posts
Amazing pics Pilot. I can feel the joy you have there with your friends.

BTW: When painting the belly gray, did you remove the green color or just put the grey simply over?
amalka is offline Find More Posts by amalka
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:05 PM
Registered User
sharkbyte's Avatar
Agoura Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2006
401 Posts
Belly paint

I painted the belly with Testors Spray Enamel 1233 Flat Light Aircraft Gray. Sprayed directly onto the green paint. Two light coats covered it nicely. Holding up very well so far.
sharkbyte is offline Find More Posts by sharkbyte
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot40874 View Post
Thanks Skyline.

BTW, I saw your working chin turret mod on the other thread. Awesome job!

Here's the link to Skylines mod for those that havn't seen it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post19828905
No Problem! It would be nice to have some visit my Youtube page and give me some thumbs up if they like it.

Jon
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:00 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Aros's Avatar
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Had a nice surprise today flying Aluminum Overcast. An older gentleman came up to me and said "My father used to fly those." So we got to talking and he said his dad flew two B-17E's (one named "Sioux City Slut" and the other "Choosy Suzy" I have no idea of the spellings). He didn't talk about his war experiences until in his seventies, before he died. He went down twice, wasn't uncommon to come home with only 1 engine (he called it "flying the Autobaun" as much of the altitude home was in the 30ft range), and mentioned the time the radio section (the only heated area on the plane) was shot up and when they landed their radio guy was "frozen solid".

He had a few other stories as well. What a treat! I could have stayed there all day. He was absolutely transfixed with the Aluminum Overcast in the air. I apologized for the bumpy ride as there was a pretty good wind this morning but he thought it looked plenty scale in the air, bumps and all.

Just thought I would share the cool encounter today.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:24 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Wittmann
Joined Oct 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Had a nice surprise today flying Aluminum Overcast. An older gentleman came up to me and said "My father used to fly those." So we got to talking and he said his dad flew two B-17E's (one named "Sioux City Slut" and the other "Choosy Suzy" I have no idea of the spellings). He didn't talk about his war experiences until in his seventies, before he died. He went down twice, wasn't uncommon to come home with only 1 engine (he called it "flying the Autobaun" as much of the altitude home was in the 30ft range), and mentioned the time the radio section (the only heated area on the plane) was shot up and when they landed their radio guy was "frozen solid".

He had a few other stories as well. What a treat! I could have stayed there all day. He was absolutely transfixed with the Aluminum Overcast in the air. I apologized for the bumpy ride as there was a pretty good wind this morning but he thought it looked plenty scale in the air, bumps and all.

Just thought I would share the cool encounter today.
Great story I could listen to someone like that all day long.
Wittmann Air is offline Find More Posts by Wittmann Air
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:04 PM
Registered User
Mitchie's Avatar
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,957 Posts
Same here!
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:07 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Aros's Avatar
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Another great example of the kind of moment that was made possible because of this awesome hobby!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:14 PM
How's the wind today?
Rcbyair's Avatar
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
835 Posts
Great story Aros! Thanks for sharing. Today is Rememberance Day in Canada and I am very, very appreciative of this freedom I enjoy so much. Because it came with a heavy price.
Rcbyair is offline Find More Posts by Rcbyair
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:54 PM
History Eraser Button?
pomroyj's Avatar
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Had a nice surprise today flying Aluminum Overcast. An older gentleman came up to me and said "My father used to fly those." So we got to talking and he said his dad flew two B-17E's (one named "Sioux City Slut" and the other "Choosy Suzy" I have no idea of the spellings). He didn't talk about his war experiences until in his seventies, before he died. He went down twice, wasn't uncommon to come home with only 1 engine (he called it "flying the Autobaun" as much of the altitude home was in the 30ft range), and mentioned the time the radio section (the only heated area on the plane) was shot up and when they landed their radio guy was "frozen solid".

He had a few other stories as well. What a treat! I could have stayed there all day. He was absolutely transfixed with the Aluminum Overcast in the air. I apologized for the bumpy ride as there was a pretty good wind this morning but he thought it looked plenty scale in the air, bumps and all.

Just thought I would share the cool encounter today.
Thanks for sharing this story. Really enjoyed. Hopefully he's come back out again. Did you offer him a shot at the controls??
pomroyj is offline Find More Posts by pomroyj
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:03 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
neck's Avatar
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,306 Posts
When I was younger my grandmother was dating a man that flew the B-17's. I never seem to have the time to sit down with him and talk. Only saw him on holidays. Several years ago he passed away. Pretty sad I didn't get his story.
neck is offline Find More Posts by neck
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Easytiger B-17 72.25"/1875mm span! CarreraGTSCS Electric Warbirds 37 Mar 05, 2014 06:45 PM
Discussion the Liberty Belle, a restored B-17 burned up after emergency landing today. burndup General Aviation 0 Jun 13, 2011 08:32 PM
New Product B-17 F Flying Fortress "Memphis Belle" Banana Hobby CSR Banana Hobby 32 Mar 05, 2011 10:28 AM
New Product B-17 F Flying Fortress "Memphis Belle" PittSpecial Electric Warbirds 0 Feb 28, 2011 11:13 PM