HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:11 AM
United States, PA, Macungie
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0yz3d View Post
Just had my latest hobby king rock up on the door step and in it my new main wheels for the P-47. No one's going to be saying my jug has under size wheels now! Best part is they are only 1 or 2mm wider than the current wheels. Diameter is 4" and they do weigh a fair bit for wheels. I'll be interested to weigh my plane fully loaded with 4 batteries and these new wheels. I would have to be starting to get close to 5kgs i reckon.
What is the diameter of the Stock wheel shown in the picture?

I'm looking at your photos and it appears that you have the V1 version of the P 47 did you buy this from Hobby King or similar? If I go ahead with Hobby lobby and get that the two versions Eileen that might have upgraded retracts I'm not sure though.

I read your problems on the later email about attaching the wheels to the axles some people have actually ended up using the washer and then Star washer when the normal collet does not work because of that this issues.

Here's a link to the Robart website which I am showing the 3 1/2 inch diameter scale wheel that they sell which includes diamond tread pattern on the tires and actual manufacturers markings on the side walls. These wheels are 1 inch in total thickness and I think on the site say they only weigh less than 3 ounces each.

Video Hobby lobby for the P 47 mentions that he was also fitting the Robarts to the model that he demoed.

http://www.robart.com/products/3-12-diamond-tread-wheel

This is the route that I think I might go.
Vieux Charles is offline Find More Posts by Vieux Charles
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:29 AM
ham
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Dragør
Joined Mar 2007
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0yz3d View Post
These wheels are 32.5mm for what it's worth, i measured with digital calipers.
Are those the wheels you talked about a couple of posts up? The original wheels for the P-47 are only just over 22mm (and 70mm diameter). The ones I have mounted now are just over 37mm. I was hoping the heavy ones you were talking about were thinner
ham is offline Find More Posts by ham
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:22 AM
Foam air frame tester
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
302 Posts
Vieux Charles: The 3.5" wheels will definitely be easier to fit, but i think they still look too small. The 4" wheels are around 4.0 oz ea for the hobby king ones and the robart in the same size is 3.5 oz so they are definitely a bit lighter. On the hobby lobby video he says they are using 3 3/4" wheels too.

Yes my Hun Hunter is a hobby king model, stock everything so far and it has flown fine. First piece i am swapping out is the prop, as i'm trying an 18x12" APC to try and get the speed up on 4S and obviously the wheels. When i took it out for it's second flight the 70mm wheels were getting stuck in the wet grass.

Ham: i just measured the wing and at the retract well area you have around 45mm to play with so while a 37mm wheel will be pushing it i think the extra 5mm will help to squeeze them in. Diameter wise they are fine.

FWIW i just weighed my plane no batteries and no ordinance except the drop tank and it came up 2.825kg. I'm running 4s 2200 x 4 which is exactly 1kg of batteries, so this plane really can afford to take a lot more weight. With the wheels posted above im only just getting over the 4kg AUW mark. I'm thinking about getting a pair of the droppable bombs for the wings, should lift two quite easily. I think the more weight you put in this thing the better it flies.
d3c0yz3d is offline Find More Posts by d3c0yz3d
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:42 AM
Norway, Ostfold, Skiptvet
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
I had a great flight today. calm Wind. -2,5c.
mix flying, roll, loops, slow flybys and a nice long landing.
11.5 min 3.80v left pr cell (2x 4000mah)
I just had to share.
acekire is offline Find More Posts by acekire
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:09 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
Beautiful Spring Day

Got to fly my P-47 again yesterday....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Muffler problems
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:19 PM
United States, PA, Macungie
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Got to fly my P-47 again yesterday....
Nice pics... Looks really,really good.

How is the V2 landing gear holding up? Didn't you have a problem withe the tail wheel? Seem to recall a previous discussion.
Vieux Charles is offline Find More Posts by Vieux Charles
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:43 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
I have version 1 (no cockpit detail) and just received my 'upgrade' landing gears. I found the tail wheel pull-pull wires were hitting the former, just behind the servo and would not go the full way, until it broke the former .......now it works well
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Muffler problems
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:01 AM
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Nov 2012
154 Posts
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
It doesn't do much for the eye though...
I fixed this (haven't even flown it yet still doing all my mods) by getting piano wire about 3mm in size and placed it in the foam on the underside of the elevator. It is about 6" long and bent at 90 degress towards the back of the elevator. It is placed just above the horn connection and works great. Very little flex now and only added 9 grams to the tail. I epoxied it in and then used a silver paint marker and coverd the flush tried epoxy. This idea was given to me by a friend of mine who builds high scale gliders.... Thanks Rich
mkharrell is offline Find More Posts by mkharrell
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Nov 2012
154 Posts
batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by acekire View Post
I had a great flight today. calm Wind. -2,5c.
mix flying, roll, loops, slow flybys and a nice long landing.
11.5 min 3.80v left pr cell (2x 4000mah)
I just had to share.
Was that with 4S or 5S batts?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
Hi great pictures.
1 flight today retracts left side would not come down.
Nice belly-landing in the snow.
2. flight gear works.
Plane is so stable and smooth
Here are a few pictures.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharrell View Post
Was that with 4S or 5S batts?
I fly 4S Batts .Stock esc and motor.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:32 AM
Joined Nov 2012
154 Posts
What is that?

Holly crap..... what in the world is all that white on the ground???? Getting ready to fly my glider here in FL....... HAHAHA... Glade to hear so many positive things about this bird.... I have had mine for 2 weeks now and still havn't flown it.... Doing all the mods I've read about on here... Today, is the HK514 retracks / the 3.75" wheels and the oleo struts.... after that.... She will be going up.... and yes I'm new to this, (this is my very first powered plane) so I will have my buddy standing next to me to get me out of any trouble... He's been flying for over 40 years... great teacher...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
God luck with maiden flight.
you will love it.
And the white powder is snow. hahaha.
What,s temperature in Florida now, we had -18c few days ago.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined Nov 2012
154 Posts
Same TX

I'm flying with the same TX.. Bought it for my Radian Pro... (which was my very first RC). I like it.. but don't like the fact I can not controle the flaps... This just slam down... I did add a little elev. to the mix of the Flaps... Haven't flown it yet though like I said. What kind of reaction are you getting when you flip the flap switch and they slam down? Here in Destin,,, we are looking at 70 now.... I too will be flying 4c stock esc and motor,, I'll run in par. and my total battery weight is about 755grams for both... I've read that a good CG is anywhere between 90 to 95 cm or 3.75"... what are you at?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:34 PM
Joined May 2009
18 Posts
This will slow down flaps: hk Turnigy 3 Channel Servo Speed/Direction Regulator.
i also us it for delay one retract.(scale looks)
when you slow down flaps, I think you don't need elev mix.
Also you can search you tube for 3 step flaps dx6i, works with mix.
my cg is at 9,5-10 cm (not accurate measure). 2x 4000 mah
To day I tried inverted and she did not need much elev. so I guess cg is not far off.
Hobby lobby said 8-9 cm? I'm getting 2x5000 mah later.