SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:19 PM
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Nov 2012
165 Posts
Awesome,,, thanks guys,,, I went withe the 3.5". My plane arrives this tuesday and it's my first warbird. I plan on pushing the rake out about 8 to 10 degrees... I've never done this nor have I ever put in retracts,,, so this will be interesting... I will be going back to this forum for all the intel. I can gather..... one again thanks for you advice.... I'm running with it...
mkharrell is online now Find More Posts by mkharrell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:52 AM
Foam air frame tester
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
315 Posts
I flew mine today for the second time (first time with the CG NOT where the manuial put it) and in longish turf and i don't think it needed more rake on the undercarriage unless it's for scale purposes? The bigger tyre size for sure though.

The plane looks great in the sky and scale rolls look awesome. I think i might be considering the swap to a two blade setup though as i know what everyone means by being floaty with a bit of wind around. Its a real shame though because i think the prop looks great in the photos. I ended up flying full throttle for most of the flight and on a 30*C day everything came back down hot electronics wise.

Doing low passes the plane does carry impressive speed with 4 batteries on board and i think the speed is a little deceptive at altitude because it is such a big plane. One thing that caught me out is doing the low passes as trying to fly smoothly and not to many Gs i ended up pulling a pass out about 2ft off the deck, which looked unreal but scarred the crap out of me. It would have made a big mess if it hadn't pulled up that's for sure.

I emailed hobby lobby about buying a V2 cockpit set up and they said they should have stock on them in a few weeks which will be awesome. I also just got an airbrush so now i know she flies nicely let the mods begin!

Sorry i didn't have more low pass photos, as i was just getting used to flying the big girl and still a bit nervous with it and I just set up my DSLR and gave it to my girlfriend and she did the best she could.
d3c0yz3d is offline Find More Posts by d3c0yz3d
Last edited by d3c0yz3d; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:46 AM
Joined Nov 2012
165 Posts
Futaba 9C set up

I will be flying this bird with my Futaba 9C is anyone using this TX and if so what are you setting your Flap to Elevator Mix to? Thanks again...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
ham
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Dragør
Joined Mar 2007
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0yz3d View Post
I flew mine today for the second time (first time with the CG NOT where the manuial put it) and in longish turf and i don't think it needed more rake on the undercarriage unless it's for scale purposes? The bigger tyre size for sure though.

The plane looks great in the sky and scale rolls look awesome. I think i might be considering the swap to a two blade setup though as i know what everyone means by being floaty with a bit of wind around. Its a real shame though because i think the prop looks great in the photos. I ended up flying full throttle for most of the flight and on a 30*C day everything came back down hot electronics wise.

Doing low passes the plane does carry impressive speed with 4 batteries on board and i think the speed is a little deceptive at altitude because it is such a big plane. One thing that caught me out is doing the low passes as trying to fly smoothly and not to many Gs i ended up pulling a pass out about 2ft off the deck, which looked unreal but scarred the crap out of me. It would have made a big mess if it hadn't pulled up that's for sure.

I emailed hobby lobby about buying a V2 cockpit set up and they said they should have stock on them in a few weeks which will be awesome. I also just got an airbrush so now i know she flies nicely let the mods begin!

Sorry i didn't have more low pass photos, as i was just getting used to flying the big girl and still a bit nervous with it and I just set up my DSLR and gave it to my girlfriend and she did the best she could.
Nice photos I'm looking forward to warm weather when I can get mine in the air again. By the way, the maximum flap setting on the real thing is 40deg.
ham is offline Find More Posts by ham
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:41 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham View Post
Nice photos I'm looking forward to warm weather when I can get mine in the air again. By the way, the maximum flap setting on the real thing is 40deg.
I dont think so, they drop down pretty far
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:36 PM
ham
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Dragør
Joined Mar 2007
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
I dont think so, they drop down pretty far
I have a copy of the training manual for the real P-47, so I'm sure it is 40degree max flaps
ham is offline Find More Posts by ham
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,211 Posts
When I drop my flaps - for landings - I can only drop one notch because if I go all the way down (two notches) that blame plane doesn't want to move forward anymore and I have to add a lot of power to continue decending! So the majority of my landings I use only one notch.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:30 PM
Foam air frame tester
Joined Nov 2012
315 Posts
Maybe it is 40* as I jet set it up based on pictures of P-47 with the flaps down and just tried to make my model look the same.

FWIW I don't have any mix on elevator when putting the flaps down and from my limited experience it really doesn't need it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:13 AM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
751 Posts
Flap/elevator mix

A couple of guys have asked about elevator/flap mix and I haven't seen a reply so I'll tell you what I did - nothing. For whatever reason, this plane just doesn't feel like it needs any, it doesn't balloon at all whether I go half way or full flaps. I have a LOT of flap on the full setting and the plane stays pretty level and floats forever. I love using the flaps and it will allow you to come to a crawl.

So the answer is I didn't put any mix at all in mine.

YMMV
Greg Gimlick is offline Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:13 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,211 Posts
If you are flying at a pretty fast rate and drop the flaps, yes the plane will balloon but you really shouldn't use flaps at that speed. I slow the plane down, drop one notch and maybe (depending on how high I am), use some down elevator to start the decent. With full flaps and a little headwind, the plane doesn't want to come down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:08 PM
Foam air frame tester
Joined Nov 2012
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gimlick View Post
A couple of guys have asked about elevator/flap mix and I haven't seen a reply...
YMMV
Lol how about the one above your post?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:05 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
I will third or fourth that, I don't need to mix ANY elevator with flaps on this plane, on half or full setting. I love the flaps on this bird. I even had good luck with them in strong wind yesterday.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:53 AM
Joined Nov 2012
165 Posts
Thanks

Just wanted to thank you guys for answering someof my questions.... Just got the bird in the mail last night. I see that the instructions are not very detailed... Hope I can figure this out... (first time) I also see that there are some lines in the foam where the wires go through that I'd like to fill in and then paint... What brand and color paint is the silver on this plane? My retracts, oleo struts are caught up in the Hong Kong party they have going on over there.... I did order the 3.5" wheels, they will be in this Friday,,, but can't do anything until my other parts come. I ordered this from Hobby King and thought that the top came off for access to the inside of the plane... didn't look very much for it lastnight,, will double check today.... what do you use to secure the canopy to the plane. I am also waiting on my pilot to arrive,,, it's back ordered... so I don't want to perm. attach it to the plane....
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:11 AM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0yz3d View Post
Lol how about the one above your post?
Hmmmmmm, how about that :-) that's what I get for skimming over things too quickly.
Greg Gimlick is offline Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:57 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,211 Posts
you are forgiven.......THIS TIME
RCG Plus Member