HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:46 AM
Uruguay, Flores, Trinidad
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I flew the P-47 yesterday and got an unpleasant surprise flying it in windy and gusty conditions - it was the hardest plane to control despite being the biggest. The wings were rocking back and forth like a pendulum.

I think it's because it also has the lowest wing loading, and could benefit from heavier batteries.
Here's the video. Seeing the hard landings made me cringe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moyz0A79kA4
Hi, I´m still quite new with this plane but I think I might be able to help you a little. One thing that called my attention is that you used flaps for landing, that´s good without wind but in those conditions you should avoid it. If you have crosswinds the it is even less recommended. Maybe the guys with more knowledge can help you more but this is a starting point..
djberna is offline Find More Posts by djberna
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:23 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.
I remember reading that same advice somewhere. I had forgotten all about it until you mentioned. I'll give it a try next time. Both retracts need fixing, so this plane is not going to see any action in the near future.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:44 AM
ham
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Dragør
Joined Mar 2007
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I flew the P-47 yesterday and got an unpleasant surprise flying it in windy and gusty conditions - it was the hardest plane to control despite being the biggest. The wings were rocking back and forth like a pendulum.

I think it's because it also has the lowest wing loading, and could benefit from heavier batteries.
Here's the video. Seeing the hard landings made me cringe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moyz0A79kA4
Nice video Miketre. I love watching videos when they are edited to action only. Enjoyed it all the way even if was 7min because you edit it so well

I am glad I'm not the only one having trouble with the P-47 in windy weather. I flew it on day with 8-10m/s and it was all over the place. I have flown my funjet, funfighters, and even my micro beast in almost as much wind and they were easier to handle than the P-47 and I have 2 x 3000MaH 4s batteries in it, so they weight is ok.
ham is offline Find More Posts by ham
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:39 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djberna View Post
One thing that called my attention is that you used flaps for landing, that´s good without wind but in those conditions you should avoid it. If you have crosswinds the it is even less recommended...
++1
Forget flaps when the wind is helping you. Also looked like most of you had high AOA until the glider. Keep the nose down until under 5 feet and the wing rocking tells your brain the wing is trying to stall so make a change to stop it. Always learning thats whats great about the vids.
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:23 AM
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Nov 2012
169 Posts
Pilot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC SHOP View Post
Here's a pic of the inside.
Ha, I just forget to tell you one bad thing: the propeller (45cm diameter) is in 1 piece! not 4 blades... So will cost a lot if you only brake 1 blade...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...26754024032886
Where can I find a pilot that will fit this scale? I see in your FB pics you have a pilot in your P-47 does it look proportional to the bird and if so, where can I get one?
mkharrell is offline Find More Posts by mkharrell
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:53 PM
ham
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Dragør
Joined Mar 2007
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharrell View Post
Where can I find a pilot that will fit this scale? I see in your FB pics you have a pilot in your P-47 does it look proportional to the bird and if so, where can I get one?
I used this one and the size is ok:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22791

I posted some photos of it in the P-47 earlier in this thread.
ham is offline Find More Posts by ham
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Nov 2012
169 Posts
HK's P-47 1600mm

I bought this bad boy and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail. Can someone PLEASE when you have time, tell me the exact type of upgraded retracts to get and I'd like bigger tires like I've read about on the thread... 3.5".. Please, when you have time send me detailed instructions and sizes... for the struts as well...
3mm , 4mm, or 5mm struts,,, I have no idea,, new guy who is REALLY wanting to learn. And this big bird will be my first project...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:56 PM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,256 Posts
Have you flown?
I think its been the HK 514's and 517's that have been put in but I would wear out the stock ones first. Use thread tools and show attachments to help with install.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
169 Posts
Hk 1600 p-47

No, I haven't even gotten it in the mail yet. But from what I'm reading here, it seems to be the best thing to do. I'd rather fix something that is known to break before it breaks and then breaks my plane???
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:32 PM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,256 Posts
Have you flown other planes?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:42 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharrell View Post
I bought this bad boy and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail. Can someone PLEASE when you have time, tell me the exact type of upgraded retracts to get and I'd like bigger tires like I've read about on the thread... 3.5".. Please, when you have time send me detailed instructions and sizes... for the struts as well...
3mm , 4mm, or 5mm struts,,, I have no idea,, new guy who is REALLY wanting to learn. And this big bird will be my first project...
Yea, I flew mine one day with stock retracts, they do suck pretty bad, but the retrofit to 514's was not a quick job, it took me some time. But most of the hassle was getting 4 inch wheels to fit without hitting anything, and retrofitting some spring loaded HK oleo legs, which require you to make custom strut pins from 5mm music wire.
The 514's are made for 5mm strut pins. You could do it a step at a time and put in the 514's and just bend a set of struts from music wire.

I posted some info on my 514 retrofit in posts #385 & 390. But as McNowhere suggested, you can find lots of info on other setups it you click SEARCH THIS THREAD on top right, and then put in 3 or 4 terms like "514 retract oleo strut" or "716 retract strut oleo". The other thread tool "show attachments" is really handy, but I can not figure out a way to go from looking at a picture listed, to the page in the thread that the picture is posted in.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:42 AM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,941 Posts
When you click on a pic right on the first line will look like this click on post and it will take you to thread
2012-07-28 18.23.25.jpg (41 views, 162.7 KB) by: CrashMaster39 (post / pics in thread)
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:52 AM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
When you click on a pic right on the first line will look like this click on post and it will take you to thread
2012-07-28 18.23.25.jpg (41 views, 162.7 KB) by: CrashMaster39 (post / pics in thread)
Ah yes! That is handy! You have to click specifically on the word POST, very cool thanks.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:01 AM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMaster39 View Post
Ah yes! That is handy! You have to click specifically on the word POST, very cool thanks.
Yes very cool, I didn't know that either.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:11 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,216 Posts
Has anyone opened the 'supercharger' in the bottom to increase air flow?
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc