SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:26 AM
The ground is my Enemy!!!
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Aug 2008
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMaster39 View Post
Hey Jose, we may have to try the 6s, that guy's plane was super fast, it looked like some little jet to me. I forget, are you using Dean's connectors? I'll need to make and adapter to XT60.
Greg,

His plane was moving fast in that video and yes all mine are Deans. I believe I have a male deans and if you have the female XT60 we can get the adapter made if you want to try some of my 6s.

Oh, by the way Santa's elf's told me that the FMS 1400mm P51-SHANGRI-LA Version 7 will be under the tree
Jose5x5 is online now Find More Posts by Jose5x5
Last edited by Jose5x5; Dec 12, 2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added picture
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:24 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,978 Posts
Nice surprise from Santa, you must be on the good list

I've seen the box.... that's a big tree you've got there !!!
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMaster39 View Post
Jackson, I like the data of that 4 blade APC 15.5 x 12 x 4. Should be a fast with that. Are you going to be able to try that out in the air any time soon? How does it look? Are you going to paint it black and put yellow tips? Please post some pics when you get it all set.

Crashmaster,

I was hoping to fly the P-47 today and flight-test the different props. My concern is that these props don't seem to be demanding enough power for good flight performance on 4S. I also have the APC thin electric 18x12x2 on order from Toysonics. Should be in by next week. That may be the best prop to use on 4S.

I have two 5 amp 5S batteries and twelve 4-5 amp 4S batteries. Hence the focus on making 4S work.

As far as aesthetics, once I find a prop that does work I will definitely give the prop tips some yellow. I don't think I would take the step of painting the entire prop black.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
The ground is my Enemy!!!
Joined Aug 2008
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Nice surprise from Santa, you must be on the good list

I've seen the box.... that's a big tree you've got there !!!
Toppers,

I might have been on the good list but not for long, I bought myself a Christmas present before I got anything for the wife or kids. (Hi my name is Jose, and I have an RC addiction)

In regards to the tree it is pretty big, but if I have to I could maybe build it when it arrives and then put it under the tree.
Jose5x5 is online now Find More Posts by Jose5x5
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Evening Flights with the '47

Guys,

I had hoped to fly at lunch today and test the various propellers in flight on the P-47, however winds were 10-15, gusting to 20, at lunchtime. So, I ended up going to the field late in the afternoon and was blessed with a slackening of the wind.

With limited daylight I decided to skip any testing and just made four flights with the stock propeller. Two were on 4amp 4S x 2 batteries in parallel, which works nicely for cruising around the field and practicing landings; and two were with the 5amp 5S that gives me aerobatic performance.

I had a small audience of senior (by that I mean good, not old) pilots who had been frustrated by the earlier winds and decided to just hang out and talk. I know they enjoyed the show because they adjusted their seating to get a better view.

The flights were a magical time for me. Everything was working fine, the light was beautiful and the plane performed brilliantly. I am struck by how pleasant this plane is to land. Just reduce power, drop in half or full flaps, lower the gear, line up on the runway and she makes a very stable, predictable descent. With a well-timed flare, a greased on landing is easy to achieve consistently. The plane also seems to roll out nice and straight, just like a real '47.

I have in mind a future video project, once the craziness of the holidays is over, where I would get a really good videographer to capture some evening flight scenes. This footage would be combined with on-board camera footage and possible some footage from a camera plane to create a gorgeous collage of the Thunderbolt flying in the evening sky. I have in mind some brass music to go with it. Could be my best effort yet.

Wishing you all well,

Jackson
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Hi !
I live in and we are currently Estonia winter, thick snow on the ground. Can not fly until April. and then make a good video.
P47 can be found in the development of my videos on YouTube. I enclose my P47 as historical sources, videos http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...p5POmzfvGkeVwf
I've tried the APC propellers 16X10X2 16X12X2 18X8X2 & original & Master Airscrew 16x10 pretty voice but speed ENOUGH .
Tried Batter ies 5000mAh 5S & 6S 5000mAh.Mounted on larger wheels & HK retracts.The wings are not reinforced I take off speed when I turn the aircraft.
It looks like a strong plane

Regards,

Aivar
Aivar is offline Find More Posts by Aivar
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:45 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,944 Posts
Version 2 Starmax P-47 coming to Hobby-Lobby

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/starmax_p...ueryId=4086818
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
USA, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post

i saw that today in the email as I am on there email list, it really looks nice. Hopefully we may now end up with a good source for spare parts. And we can avoid Banana Hobby.
Beancounter is offline Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:13 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post

Wow! This is a gorgeous plane. The scale cockpit is amazing. I wonder if they replaced the flimsy retracts. Also, what else may have changed. "Eileen" looks like a winner!

Jackson
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:21 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,978 Posts
Wow that's nice detailing... if they sell the canopy / cockpit as a spare part I'm getting one and repainting the exterior silver.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
Add your country to profile:)
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
I would also love to get that cool cockpit for mine! Looks like it still has the same wimpy little wheels though.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Demise of the Hun Hunter

Guys,

Sad to report but the Hun Hunter has met its demise. I was on the second flight of the afternoon. Making a final approach to land after about 5 minutes in the air. Had done some nice flying and a couple approaches. On this approach I had a radio glitch and the plane stopped responding for about a second. Then it seemed to respond so I gave it throttle to make another approach. Unfortunately I was low enough that I hit a 50 foot pine tree. I saw the plane rip apart at impact, heard the crunch a fraction of a second later. At the crash site the fuselage and one wing were in close proximity along with some debris. The other wing was thirty feet in the air stuck on a branch.

There is enough damage to the plane for me to consider it totaled. I am not one of those guys that always wants to repair and rebuild. On the contrary, I am starting to thing about a "next plane".

The Hun Hunter was my first truly giant sized foamy. It was a real challenge to work through all the details of motor, prop, ESC, retracts, wheels, struts, hinges, sound system, etc. A "test bed" in the classic sense of the word. I had a great deal of frustration with the plane, but also a sense of accomplishment as I solved each problem, got systems working and mastered the plane in the air.

My Ultra sound system appears intact and ready for transplant.

As to the radio glitch it could have been a brown out but I was running an 8 amp 4S system (4000 mAh x 2 batteries) and well within the time limits of that system. I was using an Orange 9 channel Rx with satellite antenna.

I will say that I lost an FMS P-40 in the same general area about a year ago. I was flying from an Astroturf field and the area of the crash is near a very expensive neighborhood. I suspect every house there has a wireless network, so there may have been some interference from that.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:09 AM
Add your country to profile:)
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
What a bummer Jackson, sorry to hear about your crash. I saw on the FMS Corsair thread that you are probably going to try that plane. I will miss your good input on this thread. I read that Corsair thread, so I will follow you there, since my brother may get that plane. Good luck with it.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Last edited by CrashMaster39; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:18 AM
USA, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
358 Posts
My condolences glad to hear that the sound system was ok that was pretty cool
Beancounter is offline Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:39 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,978 Posts
Damn... that sucks.... I was really enjoying your company, skills and enthusiam.

I know you have a lot invested but HK sell all the composite parts... wings, fuse, etc... seperately.... so you would have to start with a new kit.... just an idea. I know the force for something new is strong... looking for an ME109 myself to feed the addiction.

Either way... it's been good 'meeting' you, take care and keep it up!!

Toppers