HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:29 AM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Thanks guys for the kind words It was actually the 'generous' size wheel spats and that lovely uc that persuaded me to build this model.. she looks beautiful in the air too
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:59 AM
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
FROG Linnet
This is another of my plan built models.. scaled up to 36" span (original was 18" span rubber powered) FROG Linnet, electric and 3 ch RC. Built it about 4 years ago, even did aerial photography with it.. still going strong today!
Old Jul 02, 2011, 01:07 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,275 Posts
Hi Mark. Love the Frog Linnet! I always thought that the Frog Senior series - and the Junior series come to that - were all very attractive designs. Sometimes when a model is scaled up it loses it's "cuteness" factor, but that clearly isn't the case with your Linnet. Makes me think seriously about giving the Raven, Tomtit or Redwing from the senior series or the Pup, Speedy or Scamp from the smaller range (just x 3 instead of x 2) the same treatment.

Nice work.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2011, 02:16 PM
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Sundancer,
I can recommend the FROG models. They dont get modelled very much these days which is a shame, and I should imagine the rest of the range would fly equally as well as the Linnet...
Something different
Mark
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:47 PM
There's A Hack For That.
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
399 Posts
@kIWI
Beauty of a Pushy! I cant for the life of me find that plan on the huge thread anywhere.
Any chance you remember the post #?
Thanks!
Jake
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:15 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,972 Posts
I built a sinbad scaled to 42" and love the little bugger,just the thing to take out for a while after a long day.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:49 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beladog View Post
@kIWI
Beauty of a Pushy! I cant for the life of me find that plan on the huge thread anywhere.
Any chance you remember the post #?
Thanks!
Jake
Jake, I'm sure it's there somewhere but on my slow dial up it would take me a year to find it, however it is on this thread aslo

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602980
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:01 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
695 Posts
Here is my fleet of half size vintage pattern models (ignor the Spacewalker in the foreground). I think all of the original magazine construction article plans have been posted in the vintage plans thread. What you see here are the Astro Hog (black model), Orion (white and red), Taurus (red, white, blue), and the Perigee (white, blue).

These are the prototypes of the kits now being sold by BMJR Model Products. I love the way they fly and have been enjoying them quite a bit.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:20 AM
There's A Hack For That.
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
399 Posts
Thanks KIWI! I found it from your linky. I will start this week!

Best wishes!
Jake
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:06 PM
Joined Jul 2011
3 Posts
Just had to make my first post. I built this Sinbad Jr to give to a boy that showed a bit of interest in modeling. I helped him build a Thermic 18 as a start and this will be a surprise birthday gift. You never know if this could be a catalyst to another long involvement with aviation of any form. Thanks so much for the plans.
CometsGallor is offline Find More Posts by CometsGallor
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
Napa, CA
Joined May 2007
601 Posts
Here's a few shots of my "almost" finished Sioux from plans featured on the Plans Forum. Have a nice old Baby Bee all ready for it. This one is RC: I don't like chasing my planes! By the way, the covering is Polyspan painted with Design Master Floral spray. First time I've used the floral spray, nice stuff, but needs to be fuel proofed.
tri-pacer is offline Find More Posts by tri-pacer
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:55 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Folks
Found Mark's ultra-large scale model of the FROG Linnet here and figured my take on the genre may raise a smile.

Mark sent me off to the 'House of FROG' with his Linnet a couple of years back. Being me, I eventually had to do something from there and the low winged 'Raven' was a natural.

I've done several low winged sports models with but rudder and elevator control over the years - the first was the late Randy Randolph's 'BeeTween', published as a full sized pull-out plan in Model Airplane News in the early 1990s. The last one was e-powered - life is much less 'exciting' when you have motor control versus waiting for a squealing little engine to run out of fuel.

Thus the Raven plan was downloaded and, following Mark's inspiration, blown up 200% to an awesome 36" span. A 25gm outrunner of some 1500Kv with a 7 x 4 APCE prop on a 400mA 2S LiPo got the job as noseweight and minimal changes were made to the airframe.

The biggest alteration involved fitting a battery access hatch, sheeting the fuselage top deck and building up the tailfeathers vice the kit's sheet ones. Covering is Solarfilm's 'Solite' with some stickytrim flashes on the fuselage sides - doped tissue is right out of the picture for me nowadays, as much as I'd have liked to use it. The 'windscreen' is actually balsa with silver stickytrim - my stockpile of clear plastic proved too thick to be bent around the model's framework, so I cheated some more.

RC gear is Spektrum's 'very micro' AR6300 receiver and DSP60J servos and there's a 12A ESC in there somewhere.

The model flies at around 9.4oz, and I should take some amperage and power readings, because the full chat is overpowering at times.

Flying her has been interesting. Much of that comes from Chicago not being called the 'Windy City' for fun... But her roll rate has proved to be sufficient to cope with low level turbulence and she's good fun to fly. On rare occassions, she'd gone a little beyond a regular Raven's flight envelope with no problems - but only if no-one else is looking.

Many thanks to 'House of FROG' for maintaining a great deal of info on this great kit range. I will be back!

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Hey Dereck,
Congratulations on creating this beautiful FROG Raven - you already know my views on these FROG senior models - and what a top job you have done with the Raven, I love it!! As you said - you have to change so little from the original to fly them RC with electric. Its just a shame these FROG models are so rarely built.
I actually flew the Linnet last week for the first time in 2 years! - Be great to have a FROG fly-in one day.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:30 AM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&white View Post
Its been more then a 1,000,000 views, has any one built from plans in this thread?

I have actually built three models from plans here, a 1950 Smeed Tomboy, a 1941 Cloud Craft Mercury, and a Reg Truman Top Hat.

I am now starting on a 70" Quaker Flash.

Has any one else built from plans in this thread?

Show your plane built from the Vintage & Old-Timer Plans thread.

Scott

Scott, can you point me toward the 70" QF plan your building from?
Thanks, Mark
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert