HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2003, 09:50 PM
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
649 Posts
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid What was I thinking?

Well I got home from work and saw that there was no wind at all. Good! Then My wife wants to go too, better! She tells me she wants to fly her new GWS Cub, sweet! So we pack up the car with my tried and true Pico Stick and her new GWS Cub. Well I put in two great flights before my fellow e-flyer wants to see my wife take the sticks. So I get her Cub up and trimmed, it has to be my best built and flying Cub yet. I slow it down and get it about two mistakes high, and show her the controls. I hand her the radio and all is ok, then she makes a left hand turn. I tell her, add some up elevator, up, more up, up,up,up, give me the radio! She was putting in down not up and sent the Cub into a death spiral. I got it out of the spin, and pulled up but ran out of altitude! Damage was minor, just a small crease on the cowl, and a dent on the fuse. Gear got bent and the LG farrings are off, but she will fly again. So will my wife, only with a buddy box next time! Now where's the epoxy?
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2003, 10:33 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
My son in law did the same thing TWICE when I was teaching him to fly ! But I had him on a buddy box!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 30, 2003, 12:09 AM
Look mom, I can...crash.
Oregon
Joined Mar 2003
306 Posts
My friend Justin put my Beaver into a death spiral. Only I wasnt able to recover. RIP poor beaver Dammage was major. Epoxy could have fixed it. But $40 was worth less than trying to put that jigsaw puzzle back together. Needless to say, we bought a buddy cord for the next flight

My GF did a similar thing with my old Firebird XL. I was truely suprized at the old man that was forced to dive for safety's catlike reflexes. 10 minutes later, he did the same thing to his son. Who was also trying to fly that day.

I think we all have been a part of the dreaded death spiral. One way or another. Our buddy's, our wives, girlfriends, strangers at the feild, or even ourselves have done it. And if you havent had the privledge of watching a perfectly airworthy plane spiral out of control, only to auger into the ground, keep flying, you will.
IMCingYou is offline Find More Posts by IMCingYou
Old Aug 30, 2003, 12:44 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Teaching people to fly even with a buddy box is a trying experience! One thing that drives me crazy is beginners like to fly about 20' off the ground. I'll take over and climb back out again, and give it back to them and they bring it right back down again. After asking a few why they do that, it appears they think it's going to be out of range or out of sight if they let it get more than 50' away! Argh!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Aug 30, 2003, 01:22 AM
Laminar airflow = good.
QLD, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
115 Posts
Tres,
I'm rather a newbie to R/C flying (ignore my number of posts, it belies my TRUE experience... though not by much.. haha) and I always prefer to fly closer to the ground. I like it close and low because it gives me a better feel for what the model is doing and what effect my inputs are having. I havn't crashed one yet!
I really do find I'm more attuned to the model's state when it's below about 30'. It's also a lot cooler to watch. :P
I fly my friend's glow planes as I don't have the resources for my own electrics yet! )c:
He had the same reaction as you.. take the stick back, get more altitude, etc. I think he's come to trust me enough now, though.
His father on the other hand...
LemurFemur is offline Find More Posts by LemurFemur
Old Aug 30, 2003, 01:24 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2003
486 Posts
That's not an uncommon mistake to make. The other week when I was helping a relative newcomer fly his glider I suggested he put in a bit of down when his glider got into lift to stop it porpoising "Don't you mean up?" he said. Yes of cousre, up is down, I love being corrected by teenagers but it goes to show that you can't take anything for granted when teaching.
mattg is offline Find More Posts by mattg
Old Aug 30, 2003, 07:15 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Tres, when first starting out it takes a real leap of faith to toss a plane you just spent good money on into the air trusting it to a radio you haven't known that long.

I think keeping it close is just instinctive until you learn that the system actually can be trusted.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 30, 2003, 09:11 AM
ProBro #1404
Wichita Falls, TX
Joined Aug 2003
450 Posts
I just love playing with my tigermoth at about eye level but, when you are a newbie, stay at least 1-2 mistakes high. i have never put my tm into a death spiral, but it helps to have a parent that has been flying models all his life.

p.s. want to know something really fun, see how close you can fly to yourself without being hit.
flying4fun is offline Find More Posts by flying4fun
Old Aug 30, 2003, 09:34 AM
Mwahahahaha
UK, newbury
Joined Dec 2002
296 Posts
I do that All the time with my piccolo. i have lots of bruises and cuts to my hands and chest. i usually duck out the way though.

you should also try flying LOW over yor freinds with a pusher plane. one volunteered to be hit and i got him right in the back of the head with a 280 pusher plane
Guinea_Pig is offline Find More Posts by Guinea_Pig
Old Aug 30, 2003, 10:22 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Guinea_Pig
I do that All the time with my piccolo. i have lots of bruises and cuts to my hands and chest. i usually duck out the way though.

you should also try flying LOW over yor freinds with a pusher plane. one volunteered to be hit and i got him right in the back of the head with a 280 pusher plane
Sorry guys... but that's a BAD idea and totally unsafe! Even though the planes are small THEY ARE NOT A TOY and sooner or later you will hurt someone bad!!!! Hope you or your family have a lot of money because if you hurt someone with your foolishness they will take everything you have in a law suit! Then there will be no money for planes or anything else!!!! It's stunts like that that get us all banned from flying in public areas!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Aug 30, 2003 at 10:26 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 11:08 AM
Mwahahahaha
UK, newbury
Joined Dec 2002
296 Posts
The thing is he asked too, and i made sure it was with a pusher plane, he got hit by EPP only. also i am insured by the BMFA so if it came to a lawsuite i would be indemnified up to 5000000 if i were to kill him. this is beyond the point, the fact that he asked for it infront of loads of other people should clear it up, it was his choice, i would NOT randomly attack somebody with a plane and i fly glow plane which are far more powerfull/dangerous than your avarage foamy so i can be responsible!!
Guinea_Pig is offline Find More Posts by Guinea_Pig
Old Aug 30, 2003, 11:14 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Guinea_Pig
The thing is he asked too, and i made sure it was with a pusher plane, he got hit by EPP only. also i am insured by the BMFA so if it came to a lawsuite i would be indemnified up to 5000000 if i were to kill him. this is beyond the point, the fact that he asked for it infront of loads of other people should clear it up, it was his choice, i would NOT randomly attack somebody with a plane and i fly glow plane which are far more powerfull/dangerous than your avarage foamy so i can be responsible!!
You had better check your insurance as what you did I am sure voids the coverage! It sure does the AMA insurance here and I would bet you are in violation of their safety rules!!!! If someone asks you to try to hit them with your car and you do so and kill them do you think you wouldn't be thrown in jail and found guilty of murder? Same idea!
boomer
Old Aug 30, 2003, 11:23 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Boomer,

I'm sure what he wanted to do was in fun. He's already done it, he's not hurt, and really, a pusher plane. I bet getting tackled, getting hit wih a baseball or falling down stairs would hurt more than a pusher powered 280 plane. And no one would get blamed if they were tackled/hit or fell down stairs.
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Aug 30, 2003, 11:26 AM
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
649 Posts
Well nice to see I'm not the only one who has turned a plane into a post hole digger! I guess I have good news regarding the Cub. I was so mad at myself last night that I just picked up the pieces and threw everything back into the car. Well I must have pulled up enough, because only the LG took the brunt of the crash. I only had a small crease on the cowl! I re-glued the one LG fairing, and with the scrape foam that came with the kit I cut out the other fairing to replace the busted one. The small chunk of foam was replaced by some light Micro Fill, sanded and painted with Polly Scale Seaboard Coast Line Yellow. The plane is almost all fixed, and its hard to tell it was in a crash Now I just need to go into town and pick up a buddy box and build up my wife's confidence again. Poor girl cried last night over her cute little Cub. I think she will be pleased to see it in one piece again when she gets home from work
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy
Old Aug 30, 2003, 11:32 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cam Galbraith
Boomer,

I'm sure what he wanted to do was in fun. He's already done it, he's not hurt, and really, a pusher plane. I bet getting tackled, getting hit wih a baseball or falling down stairs would hurt more than a pusher powered 280 plane. And no one would get blamed if they were tackled/hit or fell down stairs.
Sorry but I don't see it as the same thing! This was an intentional act as the ones you describe are the result of something that is not intentional and he hit someone else in the back of the head... not himself!
boomer