HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:24 AM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
843 Posts
Discussion
GWS EPO Zero, still need mods?

I was looking at the GWS Zero at Heads Up and thought it might be a cheap project to do something for a stand-off scale sport plane. I searched on some threads on it and found a bunch that said GWS has a zero where you either had to decrease the wing angle of attack or it was unflyable.

Is that the case with the current EPO GWS Zero?

Or was that only for older versions?

-l2t
learn2turn is online now Find More Posts by learn2turn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:09 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I very much doubt the wing incidence was changed when they changed from EPS to EPO. Having said that the incidence change is dead easy. Glue the wing retaining plate on the fuselage as low in its recess as possible. Glue the wing retaining plate on the wing as high in its recess as possible. Sand 1/16 -1/8" from the fuselage in a taper towards the rear of the wing seat. You're trying to get the leading edge down by 1/16-1/8 and the trailing edge up by a similar amount.

The Zero is the oldest GWS warbird and is pretty crude by modern standards but it is a great sports flier. Orginally designed for about a 30W powerplant it loves something of around 120 -150 (which is why the wing incidence needs changing).

Put more power in if you must but for me the 120-150 watt set-up gives you all you need for a fun flyer with unlimited vertical.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard