HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:02 PM
United States, CO, Superior
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
Discussion
Looking for something that flies like Moth 48 but easier to build

Hi all,

I have a Parkzone Radian right now and I'm looking for something faster, more aerobatic, and that handles heavier wind.

I think the Moth 48 looks perfect, but it looks like a PITA to build. I've never built a kit of any sort and it looks like the Moth needs to be put together perfectly in order to fly well.

Is there anything else out there that is similar to the Moth (in terms of flight characteristics) but is easier to build or come almost ready to fly?

It doesn't have to be just like the moth, but something similar. I've looked into Zagi wings and it seems like they are a lot slower in comparison.

Any advice? I may try to find a used Moth...
stevo75 is offline Find More Posts by stevo75
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:13 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
NCFM Bluto
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434095
or an RC soaring Sawtooth
http://rcsoaringcommunities.co.nz/vi...p?f=258&t=1622
Te Mata Peak slope soaring (1 min 51 sec)
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 27, 2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:53 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,370 Posts
Windrider Bat is pretty easy to build. Just replace that funky chicken feet fins with a single center fin. Even if you build it totally stock, it will fly well, or you can modify the heck out of it and really build a ripper.

http://www.windrider.com.hk/products...Bat_spec_a.jpg

There are many threads about modifying the bat on rcg.

Adrian
codezilla is offline Find More Posts by codezilla
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:07 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,171 Posts
Stevo75,

The Moth 48 ships well with a removal fin, so I'd suggest you either search a good used one or have someone build one for you to match your local flying conditions.

Good luck
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:15 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
What's wrong with learning how to build? If you decide to stick with slope soaring, you will quickly learn that building is not really optional... which is a good thing, IMHO...

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:33 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,171 Posts
You could also try the Halfbad, as a good first build
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:41 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
What's wrong with learning how to build? If you decide to stick with slope soaring, you will quickly learn that building is not really optional... which is a good thing, IMHO...

Steve
FACT! You will soon learn what we already know...SLOPE is an acronym:

Smashed
Lost
Or
Pulverized
Eventually

Learn it. Deal with it.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:44 PM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,742 Posts
Off the edge zEPPer.

ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:53 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
the Monarch seems to suit what your looking for, it's smaller so it doesn't take as much time and some steps can be done for you.
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:11 AM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
670 Posts
whatever you choose as your first builds
dont pass over the moth.its not that bad a build and there are build logs
here to help.
and its great
steeg
steeg is online now Find More Posts by steeg
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:20 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,716 Posts
I agree with Steve, ... Your going to have to learn how to build if you want to stay in the hobby. The more you learn to build, the better you understand your plane, ... it makes them easier to fly.

Just bite the bullet

Remember, ... if you built it, ... you can rebuild it, unless you know some secret on how not to crash them .

What goes up, ... will ALWAYS come down, so pull out the "Box-O-Scraps" or the wallet, ... you decide.
MicroRotors is offline Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:04 AM
United States, CO, Superior
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
Yeah, I know that I'll need to learn to build anyway, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew on my first build.

For example, with helicopters, I started off with a used one and then learned how to fix it part by part (as some part broke, etc.). Now I feel confident doing a heli build from scratch.

It looks like the Moth has really high tolerances that I'm not sure I could pull off on a first build. I've never done any sort of work with glue, taping, spray-on adhesive, cutting, sanding, and shaping foam etc. I'm not even sure what tools or equipment I would need. And I don't really have the best work-space in my condo here.

A lot of people have been recommending the Bee 2 (over on the Colorado Front Range Slopers forum). It's still a build, but it sounds a bit easier than the Moth.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll look into all of these. I'm open to any other ideas as well!
stevo75 is offline Find More Posts by stevo75
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:10 AM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
Well, take a look at the Weasel by Dreamflight. It is a bit smaller, but so much fun and acrobatic, and you can easily ballast it for more wind. Its a blast on big and small slopes, and it is very easy to build/assemble. Every sloper should have one in their planebag.
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:23 AM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Love the Moth, I have two but I like the Bat for a very easy build. If you keep the Bat light it should fly in very light lift as well as the Moth but I feel that it can handle more weight better than the Moth to fly in stronger lift. Especially if you do the Predator mods. Check canuckengineering.com for the Bat and all the gear for stock or modded vereions, Andrew's in CO too!
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:42 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,120 Posts
The Moth looks complicated but is really no harder than another foamie. The instructions are excellent, very detailed and thats probably why it seems like more work. My 2c.
+ Weasel is very excellent.
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo