Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:26 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Cool
My UM T-28 Scratch Build

Alright guys,

I don't know if you all remember me from the Champ I built, but I'm back!

This time I attempted the UM T-28 - and let me tell you guys, it was 10x harder. Partly because I don't have one so didn't know what to compare to, I had to stare at tonnes of pics. That's why I guess some of my sizes and proportions are a little out of whack. But oh well!

Also, the Champ was boxy. The T-28 is round! Making rounded shapes out of flat foam is, well...not that easy

Like my Champ, I don't have any electronics to put in it unfortunately. If I ever get a chance to fly it, I will make a new thread on how I wired it and if it flew or not.

I used dollar store foam, glue, tape, and paint Nothing else, I swear!

The decals were printed and taped on. The tail feathers are made of foam plates.

The wingspan is just under 17", and it is about 13" long. So far, it weighs 26 grams. It has a battery slot to fit my flat packs perfectly as well.

It is ready to fly! If anyone has any suggestions or criticisms, please let me know. I will really appreciate even the most crude comments.

Finally, I'd like to thank a couple of members who really helped me with this build:

Ridge, Mac, GJO, Blu, Olthump, Viper, and Lee (sorry if I forgot anyone)!

Enjoy guys!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Last edited by astronaut; Jun 24, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Looking at the picture of the champ and your T from the top it looks like you really nailed the size of the T.

The first thing I noticed when I got my real T is that it makess the champ look kinda big.
The funny shap of the nose looks hard to form and you got the shape down nicey.
I said it once and ill say it again, good job man.
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:34 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Thanks GJO! I couldn't have done it without you! I can't wait to see a video of your T-28, it sure sounded like you had a blast and wielded it like a pro!

Thanks again!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
50 Posts
Astro, did you make the fuse in 2 halves or one rolled/formed piece?
notnewton is offline Find More Posts by notnewton
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:19 PM
Crazy Foamie Builder
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jan 2010
912 Posts
THAT LOOKS PERFECT! Hope you get it flying and some video..really nice job...
JettaManDan is offline Find More Posts by JettaManDan
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:09 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
@ Newton, I was deciding how to do it. Then I figured removing the canopy gave me more than enough room to operate inside, so right now that's all I have to get inside. I didn't think I would need it to be slit all the way in half. However, I also designed it so that if the need arises to do so, then I can do it without any issues. Thanks!

Sorry, I think I didn't answer your question properly. Yes, it was one piece rolled. Well not exactly rolled as it would give too much of a cylindrical shape, but ya it was one piece.

@Jetta, thanks dude! I sure hope to fly it someday soon. I also hope that it does fly lol!
Last edited by astronaut; Jun 29, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 12:36 AM
*crunch*
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Aug 2010
183 Posts
great job! you really nailed the curves on this plane.
forevercat is offline Find More Posts by forevercat
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:17 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Thanks! Got the electronics for it, installed them too. Ready to maiden.

Problem is the AS2000 ain't working right. Seems two weak for the bellcrank system, so it's 3ch for now. Desperately looking for another AS2000.

I also added a clear canopy made from water bottles. I'll update this thread with the maiden vid, but here's a recent pic of my T!

Thanks!
Last edited by astronaut; Jun 24, 2012 at 05:57 PM.