HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:23 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,877 Posts
Although the origin-microrc web site is gone I notice hamels-origin's blog is still alive on the forum

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=314173

Nothing posted since August last year though.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:28 AM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,983 Posts
The module should work with any TX that has a PPM output. If your Futaba radio has a trainer socket chances are it will work. There are lots of TX hacks. Also look in the Radios forum here.
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:46 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,877 Posts
These modules are pretty simple. They just need power and an incoming PPM signal from the Transmitter encoder. Normally you only need to connect the +Ve, -Ve and signal connections from the trainer plug on a transmitter to three pins on the module. There are plenty of refs on the forums. Here's one that gives the pinouts of the 5 connections on the module. It's an old 72MHz one but the pinouts haven't changed. You need to feed the +V- Tx voltage to pin P, ground to pin G and the signal to pin M. The aerial is now of course attached directly to the 2.4GHz module not the transmitter so pin A is not used. The new HK modules have a wrinkle that others systems like FlyDream don't in that they also have an input for a Spektrum remote receiver module so you can use a Spektrum Tx. I'm assuming that the Spektrum Rx module picks up the normal transmitted signal and sends it to the module which then re-transmits it as a HK protocol.

The 4YF is not a module transmitter so you would have to make the connections externally from the trainer socket (and remove the xtal to kill the original RF). The weird Futaba trainer plug is expensive and hard to get or you have to butcher a complete buddy lead, and there is a bit of carpentry to get the module all mounted and connected. Would work OK but simply not worth the hassle IMO. Easier to look for a cheap second hand Futaba module Tx??

HK "might" introduce a DIY Tx module like FlyDream which is much easier to fit to something like the 4YF but I very much doubt it.

JohnQUOTE=PatricMichigan;18626994]Could the module be made to work with something like a Futaba 4yf?[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:59 PM
United States, MI, Hillsdale
Joined Apr 2008
633 Posts
thanks guys- something to think about anyways.
Patric
PatricMichigan is offline Find More Posts by PatricMichigan
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:26 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
Wow! I have a Futaba FF8:
http://mmi.tudelft.nl/~wouter/helipa.../ff8manual.pdf
Will this work in it? Does this essentialy give me a high quality 2.4 radio, or is the module idea really cheap? And will this work then with any 2.4 RX?
Sorry for new questions, I have almost no experience with 2.4 or modules.

Thanks!
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:57 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,877 Posts
Yes, the HK module will fit your FF8 which is a module Transmitter.
Yes, these modules are high quality. Essentially they are just replacing the transmitter "through the air" part with a 2.4GHz frequency one. They vary a bit in range and technology used but for ordinary use on test they all seem to be just fine.
No, it will not work with other 2.4GHz receivers - only the micro HobbyKing ones.

If you want a general purpose conversion you need a Spektrum module or a FlyDream of FrSky or Assan or similar. They ALL only work with their own Receivers however. So if you already had a a particular brand of Rx you would want that Tx module.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Wow! I have a Futaba FF8:
http://mmi.tudelft.nl/~wouter/helipa.../ff8manual.pdf
Will this work in it? Does this essentialy give me a high quality 2.4 radio, or is the module idea really cheap? And will this work then with any 2.4 RX?
Sorry for new questions, I have almost no experience with 2.4 or modules.

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:10 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
Oh great, thanks. I didn't know that about the RXs being so fussy. Good to know.
This microgear seems quite cheap. Is it a good general investment for all aircraft, or only indoor micros? What is a typical range under normal circumstances?

Thanks again - very helpful
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:17 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,877 Posts
Interesting question. The signal strength is a function of the transmitter so will be what you would normally expect from a 2.4GHz system.

The Rx will not be as sensitive and have all the clever multi-path diversity functions of a full size good Rx though. I'm guessing but these things are probably almost as good as your "park flier" receivers which are a lot better than most people think.

One of the experts around could probably give a more accurate answer.

In practice it's a moot point. This stuff is all very small with low power servos. You will not be able to see anything this gear is able to control long before it goes out of range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
What is a typical range under normal circumstances?l
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:41 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,901 Posts
TheNiceGuy
Micro equipment cannot really be used for larger models because of the servos strenght limitations and weight isn't such an issue with park flyers. The advantage of Flydream over the HK micro stuff is that they have regular size 2.4 Rx's too for larger planes. The 1 gram Rx has a 300 meters range which is way beyond visual range for indoor size models.
The good point of the HK micro system is that it can be used with a DSM2 Tx like the Spektrum DX6i by using a remote Rx in a very clever way.
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:32 AM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
earlier someone questioned the necessity for a dual servo that weighs the same as 2 single servos. The advantage is the extra channel you get with multi channel support. With the dual servo you can get an extra channel out of the RX.
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:38 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Joined Apr 2008
5 Posts
Hi Guys,

Need some help. I have the TX Futaba 7C 2.4ghz FASST and I want to know if the Futaba Module works. Anyone know if it really works? How can I adapt the Module to the TX? Should I solder wires or I can make some adjustments using a trainer cord and plug into the TX?

I'll really appreciate any help?

Please post some pictures if someone has done this convertion.

Thanks in advance.
marcos.ibanez is offline Find More Posts by marcos.ibanez
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:18 AM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
824 Posts
I am assuming that I can use the Futaba module with my Hitec Optic 6?
gklein is offline Find More Posts by gklein
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:42 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,387 Posts
Could any of the experts tell me if it's possible to interface one of HK's brushless esc's like this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17639

to the Rx and use a brushless motor instead of the inbuilt esc? I was thinking perhaps plug it into the 5th channel on the Rx and mix that channel with throttle on the Tx. BTW, for something like a peanut scale model, or perhaps 17-18" FF rubber conversion (I have a Peck Baby Ace I'd love to convert), what brushless motor size would be appropriate? Sorry for all the questions, never done the tiny stuff before, but dying to give it a go.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:19 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,901 Posts
[QUOTE=marcos.ibanez;18637070]Hi Guys,

Need some help. I have the TX Futaba 7C 2.4ghz FASST and I want to know if the Futaba Module works. Anyone know if it really works? How can I adapt the Module to the TX? Should I solder wires or I can make some adjustments using a trainer cord and plug into the TX?

I'll really appreciate any help?

Please post some pictures if someone has done this convertion.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE
The Futaba 7C has no module hability so you'll have to use a 5 pins header to connect with the module and a square trainer plug on the other end to connect to the trainer socket. A nice feature of the Futaba trainer system is that with a jumper between pin 4 & 5 the RF module is disabled, more details here(fig. 3-03):
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/tx2t...h/tx2txgb3.htm
It also work with Hitec and other Futaba with the 6-pins DIN.
epilot will soon show pictures of how he adapted this module to his no-module Tx
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:22 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklein View Post
I am assuming that I can use the Futaba module with my Hitec Optic 6?
The Hitec Optic & Eclipse-7 take the Futaba module...up-side down but otherwise compatible pin for pin