Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:24 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
The Air Force T-28 Trojan: The Landing Gear.

I haven't decided yet which direction I plan to go with the Landing Gear, but right now it may either be the Global VQ's, or the RCSkyLite 60-120 Pro oleo's? If I use the VQ's it will have to be a combination of the P-40 60's for the mains, and one of the P-51 struts for the nose gear.

The RCSkyLites, on the other hand, would be a total fit! Some mods will need to be done to all 3 pieces, mainly linkage connections. The mains will not need any mod's for length, but the nose strut might need some shortening. At this point I am thinking I might tig weld an arm to the strut to use as a steering arm?
The springs will need to be changed out as they are a bit stiff for the weight of the T-28.

All this is preliminary ideas, so until I can shift my attention to the Trojan, they may change?

UP-DATE 6/30/2011: I got the E-Flite 60-120 Nose Gear Steering Arm in today, and with some mods, I think it will work in conjunction with the RCSkyLites, and the Robart 2 1/4" Goodyears.

UP-DATE 7/17/2011: I was able to get some more work done on the Landing Gear on the T-28 this weekend.

I started on the nose gear assembly, and decided at this time I would continue to use the PZ312 E-Tract I had already modified. If it proves to be not up to the task, it will be a simple up-grade to a PZ514. Because the E-Flite 60-120 nose steering assembly was more stable then the stock, I needed to do two things.
First the original plastic mount had to be removed from the bay unit so the steering linkage would clear because I wasn't going to be able to use the upper mounting flange. Then I needed to remove the upper forward flange on the E-Tract unit. Not using the original mounting flange, I made my own out of some 1/16" alum. so I could mount the unit using the 4 brass mounts on the bottom of the 312.
Once everything was removed, things just fell into place. The E-Flite steering arm and the RCSkyLite strut slipped right on the 40mm x 3/16" steel pin I had custom made.
I widened the oblong hole to clearance the bigger Robart Goodyear and shortened the servo arm to also clear the tire.
I also put a Z bend in the linkage so it would run underneath the bay door linkage, and with the E-Flite steering assembly there is no need for a retainer to keep the linkage from binding.
One more thing I did was change out the spring in the strut as I feel it is a bit to stiff for weight of the Trojan. I took a 2" x 1/4" .022ga. spring and cut it in half. Once the plane is finally assembled, I go back and adjust the spring tension if necessary.
Now it's onto the bay doors and getting them all linked up.

After completing the nose gear, I moved onto the mains to see what changes were needed there?
NOTE: For those who, like myself, ordered the airframe kit, you might want to check those plastic E-Tract mounts/pockets! Although they are a tight fit, I found mine were NOT glued in!, which for what I wanted to do worked out fine, but they will definitely be GG on final assembly!
Fitting the larger PZ514's in those pockets actually was pretty easy. I just cut all the plastic needed to fit the 514's, and made a couple of 1/16" alum. flanges to fit the 514's to the stock FMS mounting holes.
I also had to grind reliefs on both side of the plastic housing to clearance both the flange mount bosses and the two 3mm x 10mm button head screws I use to lock the leg pins in place. Remember to grind reliefs on those pins so both the grub screws have a flat surface to lock to.
I also changed out the springs in the main LG struts to compensate for the lighter load of the Trojan. I used the full 2" x 1/4" .022ga. springs like I used in the nose gear strut.
Once I was happy with the final assembly, I slid 'em in the wings and ran them several times to make sure those 514's weren't going to labor lifting those 2 3/4" Goodyears.

I have some ideas on how I am going to hook up the linkage to the wheel skirts. More on that later this week.
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Sep 07, 2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Up-Date
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2014, 02:55 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,643 Posts
Where's the finished mod!? Pics/video? I am thinking of adding shock struts to my FMS T28
IntheTubeDeep is offline Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep