HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:18 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
Discussion
Genesis Boat by Hobby King

Last week I received a Genesis Electric boat from Hobby King. All it needed was the RX, ESC, and batteries. Knowing that it needed an ESC I bought the 120A, water cooled ESC from Hobby King.

This boat is supposed to run on up to 6S lipos, so I started it on 4S lipos and it ran for 1 minute and the ESC shut down.

I then ordered a Hobby Wing 180A water cooled ESC and just for chits and giggles ran the boat on 6S for one minute at various speeds. The blades broke off the propeller. NO, I did not hit anything floating in the water. I then took off the hatch and that cheapo motor was red hot. It stayed hot for over an hour. Running the boat on 4S the motor also felt hot, too hot to even touch, much hotter than any airplane motor.

Comparing this Boat with the Pro Boat Gecko this boat has a nice hull, but the power system sucks. My son's Gecko runs all day and never gets hot.

HELP, how do I set this up right and not spend a fortune. With shipping from China I am already in this boat close to $400.00, and that is 70 bucks more than the well built Pro Boat Gecko.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:22 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Yeah.............cheap electronics. Here are some ecomomical items that will crank it up and let her run cool too. Mid 40's should be attained easily. Get the 2y motor

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=keda-4074

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...er-seaking-180
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:36 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,073 Posts
The stock Genesis motor is only good for 4s. The KV is too high to be running on 6s. The little nylon prop that come with it won't handle the rpm of 6s on that motor either.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:49 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
Thanks guys, what size prop would you recommend? Ordered two from Offshoreelectric this afternoon, Carbon, 4MM, counter rotating 34 and 39MM. Did I do OK with that part?

I'll order a motor tomorrow. (nope, did it now)

Scorpion, That is the ESC that I have, along with the program card.

Thanks
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Jun 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:20 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Great ESC!! Love 'em............. Just run 4s and the motor i posted or get a Leopard brand which is basically the same 4 pole motor, my be a notch better quality, may not. You can also consider a Leopard 4082 2200kv which is even more powerful. The original 4074 i posted is plenty for that boat for sport running.............mid 40's.

I dont know about those counter rotating props you got, you want a LH version, i'd run an x442 with that motor(keda).
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:34 AM
Joined Apr 2011
37 Posts
I also have a genesis and I ran it on 4S. One of the blades on the prop snapped off. The off balanced prop then caused so much vibration that it bent the shaft and even somehow managed to bend the strut which I struggled to bend back with two big adjustable wrenches.

If you plan on going to bigger motors like the Leopard 4074 or even the 4082 you will have to upgrade the shaft to 3/16 inch. 4mm is just too small. In the end you will find that you will strip everything and replace it all. So a bare hull genesis would have been better .
deadspeedv is offline Find More Posts by deadspeedv
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:53 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
deadspeedv,

Yes, I imagine that you are right with the upgrade. I read the other thread on rebuilding the Genesis and got the message about the upgrade. However, I am new to this type of boating, and merely want some boats to have fun with when we go to the lake. Pulling out the drive line and replacing it with another could be like opening up a whole new set of problems.

Lake Havasu is huge and we can easily find coves with calm water to stage races. So, the goal is to have a boat that is reliable, reasonably fast. When a newby, like me, starts messing with a new RC item, like electric boats, the learning curve can take too long, best to leave that project to the winter.