HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 05:58 PM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
345 Posts
Discussion
Idaho DLG Happenings

This is the beginning of discussions of DLG activity in Idaho.

Yes, I'm back flying and DLG's the game. I know of one other DLGer here in the Gem State. We have yet to fly together but that will be handled this week. I've made contact with the Utah contingent and know at least one DLGer from Washington state. Flying in ID has advantages over AZ. I have a nice grass field to land on if I miss the hand catch.

Well, lets hear it from you Idaho DLG pilots.
LostVisual is offline Find More Posts by LostVisual
Last edited by LostVisual; Jun 27, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 05:59 PM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
345 Posts
Roster of Idaho DLGers:
LostVisual................Mike G.................Eagle, ID
Sherwoodski.............Loid S.................Nampa,ID........on-hold
Cory........................Cory.................. .Idaho Falls.......soon a DLGer
anti-gravity...............Cole...................Boise , ID
Hance............................................. .Niter, ID
bluefork.......................................... ..Meridian, ID
prplgoat...................Marty.................M alad, ID
Last edited by LostVisual; Sep 13, 2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: new info
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:00 PM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
345 Posts
Future Use.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:06 PM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
345 Posts
Repost from Utah DLG Happeings:

Good news from my corner of ID. I finished the repair of my SW. It's now a rudderless configuration. Never flown rudderless before. My first ever attempt at vacuum bagging forced the 'excess' epoxy into the rudder gap and froze it. That may sound like bad news. But I took it flying tonight (Fri.) (the first time in 2-1/2 yrs with a DLG) and I was real happy with the way it flies. Besides having to get the thumbs thinking again. I have to say I like the rudderless style of flying. It will take some time to fully develop its potential.

I got about 20 throws in before I worked the throwing peg loose (old epoxy I guess). Can't say I was making any hand catches but I was getting it lined up on final.

Have fun at the contest tomorrow (Sat. in UT). Wish I could be there.
LostVisual
Last edited by LostVisual; Jun 27, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:07 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
GO Idaho!!!! Mike, I hope you get this thing going. You might have to hang our a shingle to let people know. If you fly in lots of places that have passers-by you might find some buddies who, like you, hung up there DLG for a while for lack of a social network.

Flying with friends is way more fun than flying along.

Good luck Mike
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:08 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
PS - Mike if you get some guys to show up on this thread they will have some instant friends and lots of people with experience building and fixing DLG planes.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:26 PM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
345 Posts
Hanger Rash,

Thanks for checking in here. I hear from your UT thread you were doing pretty well at the UT contest yesterday. It's always a good thing to see imporvement in your flying. Learning from others is the fastest way to improve. I learned that from my flying at SAGE with the Tucson and Phoenix boys. Now it's time to pass some of that knowledge to new Idaho friends.

And I can use more help too!!!

LostVisual
Last edited by LostVisual; Jun 26, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:06 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,014 Posts
Subscribed. Been waiting a long time for something to spring up in Idaho, and will be watching with great interest Good job Mike G! Let's get this thing rolling. I see some future dual meets with UT and ID. Just let me know what I can do to help.

Mike M.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:55 PM
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Jan 2003
190 Posts
Thanks Lost Visual

Hey,

Thanks for getting this started. I kept debating whether it was embarrassing or not if there are only 1 or 2 of us to start a thread. Well nothing for us to be embarrassed about. It is for my other soaring budddies who are too lazy to do a little flippin. We'll keep working on them though.

Hopefully we can get together soon. I am still in SW Colorado through July 1st. Maybe by the time I get beck up there it won't just be you and I in the Boise area. There is a guy from Lewiston who posted on the Northwest thread a week ago or so also.

Loid
sherwoodski is offline Find More Posts by sherwoodski
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:38 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Hey, some R/C friends of mine are in Idaho to get away from our natural oven!

Great to see you guys getting involved.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:26 AM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,347 Posts
I'll join you guys as a DLG flyer one of these days. For now I only fly slope, but one of my future projects will be to make something like a Super Gee. My motivation is mostly to have a great light wind sloper, but I'm sure I'll flat land fly it too.
Cory is online now Find More Posts by Cory
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:25 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostVisual View Post
Hanger Rash,

Thanks for checking in here. I hear from your UT thread you were doing pretty well at the UT contest yesterday.

LostVisual
He he he... the term "pretty well" is strictly relative to me. Yeah I did pretty well for me, but what is interesting is that just by showing up and doing a little better each time, I sort of bubble up a bit because not everyone shows up each time. I am content with doing better than the time I did before, but the big pay off is hanging out with a bunch of cool, fun loving, knowledgeable guys who are soo willing to teach; that is the cool part.

I always go home with a smile on my face.

Truly I am looking forward to flying in Idaho. I have been to Idaho several times fishing or visiting friends. It's a great place.

Thanks for the comment.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:02 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwoodski View Post
...I kept debating whether it was embarrassing or not if there are only 1 or 2 of us to start a thread. Well nothing for us to be embarrassed about. It is for my other soaring budddies who are too lazy to do a little flippin. We'll keep working on them though....
All it takes is just one guy to say "hey, let's get this thing started". Just show your enthusiasm, and others will follow. It's infectious! Fly in public places where you can be seen. Be willing to answer tons of questions and offer to help others get started. It seems like about 1/2 my flying sessions are spent talking to interested bystanders. Attend other local RC events and ask to fly DLG demos at them. Most guys just don't know about DLG, and it blows them away when they see it, and how much fun we are having with it.

The sport is growing and evolving FAST! One of the first things on your "must do" list is get yourself to a contest (sounds like Mike G might have some contest experience with the AZ crew). Only then will you see the true potential of the sport, the camaraderie, the excitement, the knowledge sharing, and really learn how it's done. Blue Skies over New Mexico is the next big one in the west, July 9-10. Then Blue Skies over Colorado Aug 6-7. Then Blue Skies over Utah Sept 17-18. There are also smaller monthly events up in the Seattle area, and of course down here in northern Utah. Please come join us for one and catch the fever! Then you guys will be primed to spread the disease there in ID, the next link in the chain.

The Utah group has grown out of a couple of guys that got tired of driving 8-12 hours away for every contest. So we recruited new pilots and started having our own just a a few months later. You guys can do it to! We'll help. Go Team Idaho!
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:19 AM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
345 Posts
Mike M

Wow, talk about enthusiasm!! Yes, Loid and I are planning our ramp-up of activity. I do plan to make your September contest in Utah. I've participated in a few competitions and know how much fun they can be.

Mike G
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:22 AM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
345 Posts
Sherwoodski,

Look what I've gotten myself into now. This wekend we need to convert at least one new person to DLG.

Mike G