HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:53 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Thanks Tabasco,

I worked on the Grob this weekend. It's much more fiddly than I expected so I didn't get as far as I thought I would.

Painting the seats and instrument panel stands and trimming the canopy to fit took some time. I'm not really a glider guy and have very little experience building them. Working in the vertical stab of the tail to fit the elevator servo was a treat.... I finally got it and it's done. Although I think I'm right at the limit of getting 15mm travel the book calls for... I'll keep at it....

Wings are done including spoilers. I have to solder the deans on my ESC and add the BEC to the harness. A rough balance for battery placement and route wires and I'll be ready for final assembly and pretty stickers.

I hope to be in the air next weekend. Then it's a trip to the Sleeping Bear Dunes for sloping...

Observations so far.... The axle for the rear wheel is too short as noted in these threads already, the latch for the canopy was easier to bolt in rather than try and glue risking gumming up the whole mechanism, the elevator servo mounting system sucks for a newbie glider builder. It needs to have a proper hatch and mounts so you can tune the angles better.

I will spin the motor up on the prop provided and take amp and watt readings. I also have some other folding props here to test. I'll post those numbers when I get them.

The Grob is turning into a nice looking plane. With the help here and some fine tuning I hoping it will be a fun scale thermal ship.

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:36 PM
United States, NC, Lawndale
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Joe, Looks like tomorrow before Rick and I can fly again so I will try to get throws then. Don't worry about limited throw on elevator. You do not need much. The T-tail is in clean air so a little movement is all you need.
The 13X6 prop does not heat the motor up as much and climbs well enough.
Mike
Tabasco is offline Find More Posts by Tabasco
Last edited by Tabasco; Oct 03, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:54 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Final Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Thanks Tabasco,

Could you outline your finalized settings for us? I'm over 1/2 way through my build and finding time to focus on it has been a challenge.

I hope to have everything buttoned up this weekend.

Thanks again.

Joe
These are the settings from yesterday.
Elevator 7mm up/down
Aileron 16mm up 8 mm down 2mm washout (both up 2mm at center stick)
Rudder 20 mm r/l (not sure it needs this much)
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:26 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Thanks Tabasco,

I will follow your lead on the set up. I went to solder up the the ESC and my iron crapped out. I still hope to have things buttoned up this weekend.

Joe
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:59 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thought you guys might like to see these vids I found. I did a search on "the Google" for EcoTop Grob G103c since that is how Top Model labels our plane. I also found the TopModel Instructions and they use 45-50mm as the CG range.

This is a Czechoslovakian model and those guys are master builders/flyers along with being distant relatives

I have no idea why the CG got changed but I'm starting at the CG range that the MFG, Esprite Models, Rick and Tabasco all had success with instead of the HL spec.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...SW3BBQ&cad=rja

Grob G103C Twin Acro 2.77m (3 min 19 sec)

TWIN III ACRO ECOTOP (Testé dans RC Pilot N°84) (3 min 22 sec)

On my build I got the wings on the fuse for the first time last night. I had to grind the openings for the eyelets larger so that the eyelets would pass through into the fuse. I glued the "horn" into the rudder, soldered the ESC and BEC, Velcro mounted all the bits and did a quick finger test of the balance. Then I spent some time trimming and adding the decals. She looks really cool now.

I used 2 3s 2100 packs and it looks like I might need some nose weight. I will put the plane on the balancer tonight and see for sure when I get 47mm dialed into the scale.

I still need to get a couple 3 inch extensions for my wing servo leads. I leave the 3 inch extensions plugged into my Rx and just plug any servos leads that need to be removable into those rather than the Rx each time I assemble the plane.

I'll bind the Rx and dial in the throws on the tail tonight. Wing set up will be tomorrow and maiden Sunday I hope. I'll get some pics for you guys then.

Oh... I need to some white Velcro for the wing tips.

Joe
Last edited by Joespeeder; Oct 07, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:50 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Anxiously waiting

Please keep us updated. One other thing we noticed. With the forward CG, which I believe is correct, you need to be prepared to give some up elevator
On launch. That is after Rick trimmed for normal flight engine off, the plane has to be given up elevator on launch
Old Oct 08, 2011, 08:43 AM
Cliffside Noth Carolina
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hey Guys,

Thought you guys might like to see these vids I found. I did a search on "the Google" for EcoTop Grob G103c since that is how Top Model labels our plane. I also found the TopModel Instructions and they use 45-50mm as the CG range.

This is a Czechoslovakian model and those guys are master builders/flyers along with being distant relatives

I have no idea why the CG got changed but I'm starting at the CG range that the MFG, Esprite Models, Rick and Tabasco all had success with instead of the HL spec.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...SW3BBQ&cad=rja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa8gsnQeUmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szSZMmUrukE

On my build I got the wings on the fuse for the first time last night. I had to grind the openings for the eyelets larger so that the eyelets would pass through into the fuse. I glued the "horn" into the rudder, soldered the ESC and BEC, Velcro mounted all the bits and did a quick finger test of the balance. Then I spent some time trimming and adding the decals. She looks really cool now.

I used 2 3s 2100 packs and it looks like I might need some nose weight. I will put the plane on the balancer tonight and see for sure when I get 47mm dialed into the scale.

I still need to get a couple 3 inch extensions for my wing servo leads. I leave the 3 inch extensions plugged into my Rx and just plug any servos leads that need to be removable into those rather than the Rx each time I assemble the plane.

I'll bind the Rx and dial in the throws on the tail tonight. Wing set up will be tomorrow and maiden Sunday I hope. I'll get some pics for you guys then.

Oh... I need to some white Velcro for the wing tips.

Joe
good luck joe !
Rick Cromer is offline Find More Posts by Rick Cromer
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:53 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Guys,

Wha Wha Whaaaaa,,,,,

I was finalizing my radio set up on my Windrider Habicht and my 9303 Tx started acting up !!! It lost the plane after I was 90% done, lost the bind, then would NOT rebind!!! Crap...

So I went to the LHS and ordered a new 9503 which will be here Wednesday. No big plane flying till then.

The Habicht and Grob will wait till later this week to fly. We have a slope soaring trip planed one week from today to Sleeping Bear Dunes and this is cutting it close. But still doable.

So looks like a Grob maiden this Thursday or Friday....

No sense in pushing things and losing it to a flaky Tx.

Joe
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:02 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Guy,

Some pics of my Grob while I wait for my new Tx....

I forgot my good camera so I took these with my phone.

Joe
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Joe, That is a good looking plane!! Can't wait to hear the flight report. Are you going to slope the Grob? It needs a fairly large landing area. We do not have those kind of slopes nearby here.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:38 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Thanks Tabasco,

I plan to take it with me alone with an Alula and my Habicht.

Tonight I will balance both planes and get them ready for final radio set up which I should be able to do Wednesday evening.

I would be done now if my Tx hadn't gone funny in the head....

I'm new to the slope and sail planes in general. I'm hopping the Grob will be a decent thermal flyer as I've read here of people getting 45 minute flights with it. If I could get 1/2 of that I'd be giddy.

I have the VQ KA-7 and enjoyed what little flying I've done with it. But it takes me a little bit to get use to having those long wings. I fly mostly H9 sized warbirds and I have to remember the space a glider chews up maneuvering....

I will keep you guys posted.

Joe
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:47 AM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
Does anyone had any exeprience with the Fox model Hobby Lobby is now having on sale?

Looks like it shares most of the hardware provided with the Grob.
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
I have no experence with the Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfly! View Post
Does anyone had any exeprience with the Fox model Hobby Lobby is now having on sale?

Looks like it shares most of the hardware provided with the Grob.
Some started a thread here but not much response.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1518766

I would be careful of the CG range in the manual. I have heard of other HL planes with errors in the CG.

Mike
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:17 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Highfly!,

If you use "the Google" and type "Ecotop Fox" you'll find some video of the Fox slope soaring.

I bet there is a thread out there about it on some European site somewhere.

These are actually TopModels planes and sold by them as EcoTop.

Joe
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:09 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Guys,

I balanced the Grob tonight. 6oz in the nose and 2 hyperion 2100 3s packs for it to balance at 47mm. 6lbs 2oz AUW. Woof, it is what it is.

I can shift my batteries to go nose heavy or tail heavy from the 47mm measurement. I also marked the balance with the prop on and off to give me some feel for how much change shifting the batteries make.

So now I have a fighting chance of flight with limited tips stalls and a meaured way to change things....

Well.... It's a plan....

Wednesday I'll be programing the radio.

Joe.

BTW balanced the Habicht also tonight.... 14oz in the nose. Whew... I'm done for now.