SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:56 AM
Cliffside Noth Carolina
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstakem View Post
Hi Ric

Do you know what measurement set the CG to? I havent been able to fly mine yet, but I finished it today. All I need to do now is test the CG and check throws.

Thanks
Kevin
we used the escale manual instead of the hobby lobby, were you bal. it sitting up and not inverted and that moved the cg forward not sure how much . Tobasco should be online by mid morn. with the measurements.
Kevin , what little i flew mine due to motor overheating , it did fly alot better we think a little more nose weight should help even more .
Ric
Rick Cromer is offline Find More Posts by Rick Cromer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:53 AM
United States, NC, Lawndale
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Hi,
The HL (eScale)manual says to set the CG 70-60 mm form the LE.
The Top Model specs 45-50 form the leading edge.
I think Hobby Lobby really missed this one.
We moved the CG on Rick for 70mm to 55 mm. We were kink of splitting the difference. Plane seemed to fly better. Next time we will move into the 45-50 range, maybe even to the 45 mm mark.
Before we moved the CG forward if the wing stopped whistling it was tip stalling.

The major problem now is the motor overheating, 1 climb and motor/battery is too hot to touch. This is the second motor/esc. and don't want to burn up another.

I think Hobby Lobby should completely refund Rick the cost of this kit and second motor esc. It was built exactly to Hobby Lobby specs with all HL supplied parts and it has been nothing but one issue ofter another. Rick will not give up and we are doing the R&D for Hobby Lobby on this one.
Jason, are you listening???
Tabasco is offline Find More Posts by Tabasco
Last edited by Tabasco; Sep 20, 2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:25 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Hey Tabasco,

If you look at the Esprit page on the Grob they show the xpower motor in the related products.

The specs on that motor say 45 max amps (15 seconds). Here's the link.

http://www.espritmodel.com/xpower-xc...ess-motor.aspx

They also show a 13x6 folder for a prop.

In one of these Grob threads seems I remember someone saying they were pulling 45amps on the HL set up. Too much for my liking. I generally like to have at least 20% headroom both in motor and ESC. Sometimes more.

Is the ESC set with a hard brake already or has anyone found programing instructions for the HL supplied ESC?

Thanks for your insights.

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:47 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Re: Brakes.

At present no brakes.

Still waiting on someone to provide (correct) instructions for programming this esc. We have conflicting instructions on programming the ESC........Much like the balance instructions.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:34 AM
Cliffside Noth Carolina
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Re: Brakes.

At present no brakes.

Still waiting on someone to provide (correct) instructions for programming this esc. We have conflicting instructions on programming the ESC........Much like the balance instructions.
the word is that hobby lobby is going to be @ joe knalls electric flyin last weekend this month , sure would like to get jason to fly my GROB
RIC
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:02 PM
GliderPilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
Had thought about purchasing this kit, but after what I have read and have not seen Jason answer your questions, has made me re-think this purchase.
rickhensley is offline Find More Posts by rickhensley
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:54 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhensley View Post
Had thought about purchasing this kit, but after what I have read and have not seen Jason answer your questions, has made me re-think this purchase.

Rick, I see you are in Charlotte. We fly about 50mi west of you. Come on over sometime.

This is why I started the thread, to help other make an informed decision.

We rebalanced the Grob last night to the Topmodel Specs. It took 5 ounces of leas to get the CG to balance. If new balance point works we will use larger battery and remove some of the lead.
Also have switched to a 13X6 prop in an effort to reduce heat. Test ran motor and it still got very hot, but, not as hot as before. We used a very scientific instrument to measure motor temp. Our finger!
The thrust form the new prop was less but hopefully enough to fly plane.
Maybe a test flight this PM.
On another note. The programming instructions for the esc have missed something in translation. Could not get the esc to program using the instructions from Hobby Lobby.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:58 AM
Australia, NSW, Deniliquin
Joined May 2007
45 Posts
Escale Grob 103c

Hi again `Grobers', I last posted back in July and did subsequently make a flight `attempt'. with disasterous results. How interesting to read all your adverse comments on this model, I set up my C.G at 75mm from L.E i.e mid of reccommended, result - from a good level launch the model went into a very steep climb, dropped the LH wing to which I corrected, and lowered the nose, it then immediately dropped the RH wing and impacted the ground. The damage! - short fibreglass breakages around cockpit rail, and a crushing on the lower side, the `scale' cockpit tray shattered into multiple fragments but the actual canopy survived undamaged. The model is now repaired - without the pretty cockpit, and I also will get the CG forward to 45-50 mm. Yes, I am disappointed with the Grob, and think Escale should accept responsibility for the problems with this model.
Thanks for all your input guys. - - - Deni
Deni is offline Find More Posts by Deni
Old Sep 21, 2011, 05:52 AM
GliderPilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Rick, I see you are in Charlotte. We fly about 50mi west of you. Come on over sometime.

This is why I started the thread, to help other make an informed decision.

We rebalanced the Grob last night to the Topmodel Specs. It took 5 ounces of leas to get the CG to balance. If new balance point works we will use larger battery and remove some of the lead.
Also have switched to a 13X6 prop in an effort to reduce heat. Test ran motor and it still got very hot, but, not as hot as before. We used a very scientific instrument to measure motor temp. Our finger!
The thrust form the new prop was less but hopefully enough to fly plane.
Maybe a test flight this PM.
On another note. The programming instructions for the esc have missed something in translation. Could not get the esc to program using the instructions from Hobby Lobby.
Will do. Rick
rickhensley is offline Find More Posts by rickhensley
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:54 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Yesterdays Test Flight.
Finally.......................after 2 months of research, repairs, money for new parts etc, Rick finally get a couple successful flights on the Grob. Successful in that this is the first time the plane went home without needing repairs, new parts etc.
The flights were not very long as it was dusk and visibility on this plane is a problem in low light. Rick did manage several climbs and while at altitude managed to slow the plane down a bit without tip stalling, if fact now stall recovery is what you would expect on a scale plane. Landings were still made with a fast approach speed Rick did not have enough time to experiment with slowing the approach down. Roll out was long, bit looked good. Motor still getting very hot, but, it did not burn up with 3-4 climbouts on each of the 2 flights. Hopefully now Rick can concentrate on fine tuning, trimming, and just fun flying.

Summary to this point:
1. The Hobby Lobby CG point is WRONG...........
2. The motor/esc is not up to task.
3. Extra cost so far, new motor/esc/prop. 13X6 folding prop, one spoiler is broken and needs replace due to tip stall resulting from improper CG. An BEC needs to be purchased. Canopy busted and needs to be replaced. Wing tips cracked.
4. Many hours spent trying to make this plane fly. Rick would not give up.
5. HL should refund Rick the cost of all repair parts. A new kit would not be an unreasonable request. Maybe Rick can discuss this with Jason and Hobby Lobby at the Electric Nall.
6. The GRob will fly with with the adjustments/corrections etc but at this point I would not recommend the plane for someone to buy.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:10 AM
Cliffside Noth Carolina
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Yesterday's flight of Hobby Lobby's Grob 103
Finally since July 4 (after first flight ending in a crash and four more crashes after that) we finally moved the cg and corrected the weight and balance, I had a couple of successful flights with no surprises. On my second flight, I climbed out to a reasonable altitude, cut the motor and then started making some right-left turns, then turned it into the wind, Pulled back on the stick and held it to see how it would react, it began porpoising up and down-nothing violent- with no tip stalling-Hurrah! It seemed to fly more like a glider of this type should fly! According to the weather forecast, Sat. will be next day for us to do any flying. In the meantime I am going to try to do a little program mixing spoilers and elevator. With that done, I'm going to try catching one of them there thermals on Sat. Because I have had to buy a new motor and esc. due to the motor burning up,and make repairs to plane's spoilers and wing tips due to crashes from tip stalling,I would hold off purchaisng this particular model until HOBBY LOBBY does more intense R/D on this model. I will keep posting on my next flights...
Ric
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:44 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Thanks Rick,

Great to hear of better flights and some success

I am on my way to pick up the extra bits needed to build mine. Hopefully I can get it mostly finished this weekend.

By using a BEC, 45mm CG, 13x6 prop and your insights I hope to jump over the Beta test phase...

Let us know how you do in the thermals.

Joe
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:25 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Grob Flies at ENall

Rick carried the Grob to ENall in hopes of getting Jason (HL) to look over the plane and fly it. Jason was very nice and accommodating. I don't think he liked the fact that we moved the CG forward but after a few trim tweaks, dual rates, Exp, and reflex the ailerons a bit he flew it. Flew well, although Jason said that while flying inverted it seemed a little nose heavy.

That being said I found out I had met Jason a number of years ago flying on the Lump off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Nice young man.

Maybe Rick can get some serious time in on this plane now.

One other Mod. I would not glue the tips on. They take beating on landings. We have found that taping them with Blenderm tape allows them to tear off without as much damage to the wing. The tips point down and one or the other wing will drag on landing when the plane slows down.
Last edited by Tabasco; Sep 30, 2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:44 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Thanks Tabasco,

Could you outline your finalized settings for us? I'm over 1/2 way through my build and finding time to focus on it has been a challenge.

I hope to have everything buttoned up this weekend.

Thanks again.

Joe
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:51 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Thanks Tabasco,

Could you outline your finalized settings for us? I'm over 1/2 way through my build and finding time to focus on it has been a challenge.

I hope to have everything buttoned up this weekend.

Thanks again.

Joe
I will put together a list but I would like to wait until I can measure final throws etc. Rick has the Grob but we may get together today and I can take a look at the plane again.
Mike