HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:00 PM
United States, NC, Lawndale
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Build Log
Hobby Lobby Grob G103C

A good friend of my wife and I purchased this kit and my wife is going to build for him.
I am going to try and document the build as a first build log.
The kit was packed well and looked to be of good quality.
We are waiting on servos which was the first step in the instructions so we have skipped on to the motor and wheels as those steps use silicone and need a long drying time.
Motor mount was straight forward. Notice there is a very small arrow pointing up. Test fit was good and the motor + mount was siliconed in place and hung to dry.

Edit: Similar kit uses epoxy rather the silicone.
Edit #2

WAIT A WHILE BEFORE SENDING MONEY TO HOBBY LOBBY FOR THIS PLANE.

I think Hobby Lobby released the Grob 103C prematurely. I have come to this conclusion based on design, quality of components and flight characteristics.
I was the first to crash this plane after the build and after replaying the event in my mind I believe the ESC/BEC caused a brownout/reboot. I had no control what so ever. A few flights later (3 or so) the motor burned up on launch.
There are no correct instructions on programming the ESC. Hobby Lobby has posted contradicting information on this issue.
Some has posted the prop/esc/motor combination draws too much current.
There are conflicting CG points.
Hobby Lobby needs to spend money on R&D rather than customers.

Please see this post from Slcrcflyer as well.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=grob

Edit Sept. 30 2011 Rick carried the Grob to ENall in hopes of getting Jason (HL) to look over the plane and fly it. Jason was very nice and accommodating. I don't think he liked the fact that we moved the CG forward but after a few trim tweaks, dual rates, Exp, and reflex the ailerons a bit he flew it. Flew well, although Jason said that while flying inverted it seemed a little nose heavy.

If you get this plane please look at the Mods in this thread.
Tabasco is online now Find More Posts by Tabasco
Last edited by Tabasco; Sep 30, 2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Just to update new potential owners.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:26 PM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Wheels

Pan (my wife) began work on the wheels. The lasar cut wheel mounts fit a little loose but thin CA will probably work. The little wheel went together OK. You have to add a reducer the the wheel to fit the small axle and fit ply shims between the wheel and the mount to keep the wheel centered.

The large wheel assembly has problems.
1. The axle is to tight in the wheel adapters.
2. The axle is too short.
3. The shims, One on each side is not enough, two is to much.

The axle is 4mm material and we don't have any wire to make new so this is on hold a while.
Last edited by Tabasco; Jun 26, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:12 AM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
Looking forward to this build. Thanks for posting!

Ant
Ant is offline Find More Posts by Ant
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Wheels Ready to Silicone

The wheels are mounted ready to silicone in the fuselage. There were a couple "C" shaped pieces of ply the instruction did not mention or show a picture of at all. Pan decided they should be used to provide spacing between the mount and the fuse.

Edit: Top Model instructions. shows correct placement and shaping of "C" pieces. Pan was right in placement.

Edit: May consider to use epoxy rather than silicone to mount to fuse. Also use epoxy to assemble wooden frame
Last edited by Tabasco; Jun 30, 2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Wheels In

Wheel silicone is drying. Opening in fuselage for main (big) wheel needed no modification. The front wheel opening needed major sanding/filing to make the wheel fit properly. Before sanding only a very small portion of the wheel fit through the opening. Cut a couple "V" notches in the box to hold fuselage while silicon dries.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:01 PM
Cliffside Noth Carolina
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Wheel silicone is drying. Opening in fuselage for main (big) wheel needed no modification. The front wheel opening needed major sanding/filing to make the wheel fit properly. Before sanding only a very small portion of the wheel fit through the opening. Cut a couple "V" notches in the box to hold fuselage while silicon dries.
neat job !
Rick Cromer is offline Find More Posts by Rick Cromer
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Spoilers

The spolier installation was almost by the instructions. We found there was no need to use the grinder as illustrated in the instructions. The only "fitting" was to sand the plastic covers a bit. Two sided "scrap booking" tape was used to secure the covers.
The fit was good. The laser holes for the mounting screws were in exactly the right place.

Canopy Next............ Instructions useless. Stay tuned for "interesting" discovery.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5 Posts
Great information so far can't wait to see the rest of the build, this craft has me very interested in it. It looks very nice and it seems to be reasonably priced for the size and features. Please keep the information coming and good luck with the maiden.
tullochgorum is offline Find More Posts by tullochgorum
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:45 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Observations

The canopy instructions were very vague so we began a search for more information and found some interesting items. I will take time from the build to share this information here. The Grob was made in China, no surprise there, and is marketed under a couple names. E Scale the one sold by Hobby Lobby and Top Models sold by Esprit Models. There are a couple minor changes in the kits. I do not know if the “changes” were to market as different models or to cut cost or maybe both. I will compare/contrast as best I can. I do not have access to the Top Model Grob however I downloaded the manual for the Top Model.

The price is about the same on both.

The Top Model instructions are excellent; the E Scale instructions are minimal at best. Cost Cutting? Maybe.

The canopy is a major difference area. The Canopy appears to be cut out and fitted in the Top Models kit. This is a quote from the Top Model "Clear canopy with painted fiberglass frame" Not so in the E-Scale kit. Again cost? The cockpit moldings are different. We will continue with the canopy /cockpit build later with pics.

The Top Model uses epoxy and glass cloth to install the wheels /motor mount etc into the fuselage. The E/Scale calls for silicone. Which is better? Silicone is flexible; maybe better? I wish I had the Top Model manual before mounting wheels. The manual had excellent pictures showing installation.

The E-Scale comes with motor, esc, prop and electric spoilers. These are options (extra cost) with the Top Model. At this point I think the E-Scale is less quality in some areas,(remember the wheel axle) but with extras (motor etc) may be the best deal overall.

As we continue the build I will note differences.

Also, while we are still waiting on servos I must note this. The servos were ordered from Tower Hobbies. (Out of stock at Hobby Lobby) There were in stock and I had a “want you back” coupon for $10 off since I had not ordered from Tower in a long time. I used the extra $10 to upgrade shipping. Ordered over the weekend and just received notice they had shipped today. So I pay extra to upgrade shipping method and Tower take 5 days to ship………………They will be sending another “want you back” coupon after I don’t order from them again for a couple years.
Sorry for the long post. I will stop talking so Pan can get back to building.
Last edited by Tabasco; Jun 30, 2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 07:00 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Canopy

The cockpit portion of the canopy was cut out on the cut line provided. The plywood frame was attached using CA per the instructions and pictures provided. The fit was not good. The ply had to be trimmed to fit. There was a laser hole on the two long pieces. Maybe this was to used as a reference but no mention in the instructions. The cockpit was placed on the fuselage to test for fit. It was about 1/8" to short. Spacers will have to be added before the latch will function.
The instructions said to attach the latch to a piece of ply using 4 screws. There was neither the ply nor screws in the kit for this. Did not matter because if ply had been added, the pin that sticks up through the fuse would not have been long enough. The fuse was thick in this area. We chose to use two small screws to attach latch.
Next task was to trim the canopy to fit. We were cautious about trimming on the line embossed in the canopy and initially cut the canopy 1/4" "big". The canopy was taped in place over the cockpit and fuse and a line was drawn with pencil on the fuse. Then the canopy removed and measurements were transferred to the canopy to create new cut line. Very time consuming but had we cut on the line, the canopy would have been to short, both lengthwise and high. The instructions said to attach the canopy with canopy glue or tape. Pan is a tape expert and she says there is no way to tape the canopy to the cockpit so we will have to get the glue.
There are a lot of other pieces that go into the cockpit for scale appearance. Pan is going to try to negotiate with the owner as to what level of completion is wanted here. We think nothing would be fine, however, Pan is threatening to add a Barbie in a bikini and paint the whole plane pink!!
The cockpit/canopy needs a little more work but thus far twice as much time has been spent on the canopy than the rest of the build.

Still waiting on Tower for servos.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:27 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Servos in!!!

Servos in, build is progresing.

This kit came with a e-fun 45 Amp ESC. No instrictions were included at all.
Any one have any idea who made this ESC so I can seach for instrutions on programming Etc.

More of the build comming up.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:22 PM
hullabaloo caneck caneck!!!
USA, MD, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2004
58 Posts
Quote:
Servos in, build is progresing.

This kit came with a e-fun 45 Amp ESC. No instrictions were included at all.
Any one have any idea who made this ESC so I can seach for instrutions on programming Etc.

More of the build comming up.
I would guess the e-fun ESC is made by escale too, but I really don't know. The same ESC is used in the Hobby Lobby Samurai. In the HL discussion forum for the Samurai (page 2), Jason Cole mentions how to program the brake setting... but I don't think his instructions have enough details to really know what you are doing. I would guess this ESC is branded under multiple names. ...it maybe easier to just call HL and ask if they will email a manual to you.

Did you go with the recommended Hitec HS-125 servos? If so, any issues mounting one for the elevator?

Thanks for sharing your build!
AggieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AggieFlyer
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieFlyer View Post

Did you go with the recommended Hitec HS-125 servos? If so, any issues mounting one for the elevator?

:
Hi Aggie Flyer
I will get the rest of the build on here shortly. The HS 125 would not fit with the wooden servo mount. In fact I had to grind/file away a lot of material to just get the servo into the vertical stab. I did glue some wooden tabs on the servo ears to mount the servo with wood screws.

Still having ESC/Brake issues. Did you try Jasons instructions on the HL forum? Most of the ESC programming I have done with the radio had to have a certian number/sequence of beeps. Seems like weak instructions to me. Did it Work for you.?

I will post rest of build shortly.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:28 AM
hullabaloo caneck caneck!!!
USA, MD, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2004
58 Posts
Quote:
Hi Aggie Flyer
I will get the rest of the build on here shortly. The HS 125 would not fit with the wooden servo mount. In fact I had to grind/file away a lot of material to just get the servo into the vertical stab. I did glue some wooden tabs on the servo ears to mount the servo with wood screws.

Still having ESC/Brake issues. Did you try Jasons instructions on the HL forum? Most of the ESC programming I have done with the radio had to have a certian number/sequence of beeps. Seems like weak instructions to me. Did it Work for you.?

I will post rest of build shortly.
Sorry, I wish I could impart some words of wisdom about the ESC, but I cannot. I'm still waiting on my kit to arrive.
AggieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AggieFlyer
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:26 AM
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
BAck to the build.

As mentioned in a previous post the canopy was to short to to allow the canopy latch to hold the canopy. We used a spacer at the rear to improve fit. Canopy was glued to cockpit with silicone.