SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2003, 10:19 AM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
de Havilland Sea Vixen FAW.2 drawings.

I wonder if anyone can kindly help?
Maybe you have a scale drawing in your pc somwhere of this aircraft,with x sections?
I have the drawing from the Russian site,but no x views.
I spent a frustrating morning looking on the net,with no luck.

Maybe you have a drawing in a magazine you could scan? Any size will do.

Many thanks,

Matt.
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2003, 10:46 AM
Landkey, Devon, England.
Joined Jul 2003
826 Posts
Matt, it could be worth contacting Chris Golds, I think he did the Sea Vixen some time ago, so he may have the info you need.

Cheers
Ron
Ron Laden is offline Find More Posts by Ron Laden
Old Aug 29, 2003, 12:24 PM
Joined Mar 2002
224 Posts
Interesting tidbit is that the seavixen's canopy is actually offset from the fuselage centerline!
Mucksmear is offline Find More Posts by Mucksmear
Old Aug 29, 2003, 03:14 PM
NORWICH NORFOLK.UK
Joined May 2002
518 Posts
Matt

Try http://www.bobsairdoc.com/

Download the 3veiw PDF file.

There is a DH-110 Vixen in there with cross sections ie OXF for $5.

Bobs air will dispatch the drawings to you in a few days

I have just rec drawings for F-XXX with 16 X sections definitely worth the dosh.

Graham
Jones Boy is offline Find More Posts by Jones Boy
Old Aug 29, 2003, 04:24 PM
Elizabethtown/Ft. Knox, Kentucky, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,125 Posts
I wonder where Bob Violett got the idea for the Bob Cat????

I've always thought the Sea Vixen would be an awesome EDF. I think Revell makes a 1/72 model of it. I have several pictures that I printed off of a web site for plastic models but don't remember the site.

If you find those drawings Matt you'll have it built by next week end!

Jim Phelps
Jim Phelps is offline Find More Posts by Jim Phelps
Old Aug 30, 2003, 09:04 AM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Thanks for your help guys!
I pulled this picture off the 'open Topic' discussion,was at the Chester meeting 2003.
It is one gorgeous model,which,I believe,is powered by 2 x Midi Fans,other than that,no details,except it is the work of Pete Wilson.

I started mine,just a foam fuz/booms built up wing pusher for now,but I'd love to deaign one that looks as well as this does for twin EDF.
Would be great if Pete were to sell me a copy of his plans though....

Bob P,you were at the Chester meeting,how well did this model fly,and do you have anymore details of the model,or would you know how to contact Pete Wilson?

Was horrified to see Q&EFI omitted to print this picture in the Chester meeting write up by Tim Hooper! Must be a reason I 'spose, but that is lovely.

What do you guys think?

Matt.
Old Sep 02, 2003, 12:10 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
beautiful plane. Didn't remember the wings being so aggressive for a plane of it's time either, looks like they were stolen from a Fulcrum! LOL. I think it would make a nice model.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 02, 2003, 03:05 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Matt

Sadly Pete's Sea Vixen is no more. After half-a-dozen flights (all of which I missed ) she crashed and was destroyed at the Rolls Royce meeting earlier this summer. Pete isn't absolutely sure what caused the crash but one possibility is that he took off with full flap by mistake, the model failed to respond to down elevator, got her nose up and stalled. The motor units and fans were recovered but the aiframe was completely destroyed.

There are some pictures and details of Pete's Sea Vixen in my gallery, along with some construction shots of another clubmember's gas turbine version of the aeroplane. Here is a link:

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=1568

Matt, I can send you the same drawing that Pete designed his Sea Vixen from. Pete got his from John O'Donnell but I have the same one here, it's from the Warpaint series in an old edition of Aviation News. Pete isn't on the internet but if you have any queries I can give him a call and put you in touch. Drop me an email.

Hope that helps

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 02, 2003, 04:56 AM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Hi Brian.Thanks for your input here.What a sad story,that was a beautiful model too,my condolences to Pete.

I've started a foam version,for pusher power,but would love to build a twin fan powered one too,so those drawings would be great!

I'd like to build an ROG version with retracts,but the work will be worth it.

Any chance you can scan the drawing and email it please Brian,or if you want to send a hardcopy,let me know and I'll send my home address.

I looked at the photos you provided a link to,and that gas turbine one looks pretty darn good too!

Someone in my club designed a twin turbine powered DH110,which flies superbly.(Mick Burrell)

If I could get in touch with Pete too,that would be very useful.

Thanks for responding!

Matt