HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Oct 2008
154 Posts
Discussion
Cheap lightweight mount fot Keychain Cam on Hobbyzone Chsmp

I put a tab of Velcro just behind the battery compartment and as far back as possible on the camera. Then I rolled a business card to make a sleeve and to act as a shim to provide some downward angle. Taped the sleeve into place and cut the tape away in front of the lans. Fed some piano wire thru the sleeve, bent sme offsets to clear the wheel pants and hooks to attach the rubber band to. Pretty crude but lightweight and you can pull the camera away from the velcro to get to the battery connector.
pcnewman is offline Find More Posts by pcnewman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:43 AM
Joined Oct 2008
154 Posts
What other mounts or cameras are anyone else using?

What other mounts or cameras are anyone else using? This thing weighs 1/2 as much as the plane and as a new pilot it's pretty difficult to fly.
The 5+ mph winds weren't helping either.
pcnewman is offline Find More Posts by pcnewman
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:15 AM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
In the Micro RTF thread there are a few idea's, check out Fishycomics camera mount, some other guys have also built lightweight mounts for their UM Champs.
Placing the mount under a wing causes obvious balance issues, all the ones I've seen fit under the fuse, and they sometimes install larger wheels or extend the LG for ground clearance.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:57 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
FWIW, you can save ~2g by removing the case, and 4.4g by removing the battery and patching in to the main power that the Champ flies off of.

With no case, you won't have any protection from water (useful if you like to fly in the morning) and the reset button won't be protected. To make mine water-resistant, I coated the board in a wicking viscosity UV epoxy. I also used a gel viscosity UV adhesive to build up a little material on either side of the reset switch to prevent accidental presses. Without protection on the switch, you risk losing the current file due to a rougher than expected landing.

Other than that, I've actually had good results just using some masking tape to mount the camera. It gives nice flexibility in positioning.

Excuse the poor flight. It was very choppy and the Champ was really getting tossed around. Camera is stripped as described above and mounted on top between the wings:
Hobbyzone Champ In The Face (0 min 19 sec)
CptnIncompetent is offline Find More Posts by CptnIncompetent
Last edited by CptnIncompetent; Jun 28, 2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Living up to name while trying to embed YouTube video