HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:32 AM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Feb 2006
305 Posts
Discussion
Hobby king 1.5m cessna 182 w/ optional floats

Hey guys, I just picked up a c-182 from hobby king with the optional floats. The plane with floats and 2 2200mah batteries 4s was $209 shipped from the us.

I just maidened it this morning on wheels and went straight to the lake. You honestly couldn't ask for a better flier. It has awesome power and with flaps it slows to a stand still. It does all the maneuvers rolls loops spins etc with ease but is calm enough to be a good trainer

My last float plane was a hz super cub with a fly one cessna wing w/flaps. It was lazy and tough to fly. The 182 couldn't be a better plane
Rooster433 is offline Find More Posts by Rooster433
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:39 AM
Nashville TN
Joined Jan 2007
286 Posts
Hi, video please!!!!! If poss.

Thanks
Eng30
eng30 is offline Find More Posts by eng30
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:46 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster433 View Post
I just maidened it this morning on wheels and went straight to the lake.

It floats on WHEELS!

Neat to read your excitement. Pics and vids would be nice.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined Feb 2006
305 Posts
Thanks. I'll try to get some video.

I had it in a forward slip Sunday to kill airspeed and altitude to land right in the middle of two boat wakes. Well I slowed it down a bit too much and spun it about 15 feet off the surface. Forward slips are really neat but dangerous because it's cross controlled uncoordinated flight. Broke a couple little things but no big deal already got it flying again.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:43 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster433 View Post
Hey guys, I just picked up a c-182 from hobby king with the optional floats. The plane with floats and 2 2200mah batteries 4s was $209 shipped from the us.

I just maidened it this morning on wheels and went straight to the lake. You honestly couldn't ask for a better flier. It has awesome power and with flaps it slows to a stand still. It does all the maneuvers rolls loops spins etc with ease but is calm enough to be a good trainer

My last float plane was a hz super cub with a fly one cessna wing w/flaps. It was lazy and tough to fly. The 182 couldn't be a better plane
Man I'm so glad you posted this!!

I am going to see family in Alaska in August. They have a live aboard sailboat and a live aboard motor vessel along with a couple skiffs and a 14 ft lund. I was told I would have access to a complete workshop on land as well. So I naturally ordered this 182 with floats and 3 2200 4s, its scheduled for delivery in AK July second.

Would you be willing to help me out with some logistics, I will be shipping my TX along with a box of hobby stuff to do the "build". I want to bring up up servos, esc,bec's, rx ect. since there are no hobby shops and I'll only be there 10 days.

So a few questions, I'll try not to bombard you

What style of battery connector does the ESC have on it? The bullet connectors, are they 3.5mm, 4mm.....

Are you running a BEC?

Any "must have" supplies you used in the build, I have 20min epoxy and CA going up in the delivery.

Thank you TONS in advance!! I have searched and info on this plane is scarce.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Last edited by pullup!; Jun 29, 2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: i spel guud
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:12 PM
FPV is lifestyle!
Brazil, ES, Vila Velha
Joined Apr 2010
30 Posts
Please,
Look at my build log for CESSNA 182 1,5 meter seaplane.
Thank you for comments.
rolrossi is offline Find More Posts by rolrossi
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:14 PM
FPV is lifestyle!
Brazil, ES, Vila Velha
Joined Apr 2010
30 Posts
Could somebody tell me what are the best control throws for for CESSNA 182 1,5 meters seaplane? (aile, elev, aileron and flaps)

Thank you
Robert.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Feb 2006
305 Posts
I'm using the most deflection I can get without the control surface binding with the pushrod. Same thing with flaps, i'm running as much as I can get.

I went to fly it friday and had a hard time getting it off glassy water. It just wants to be suctioned to it. While plowing threw the water for such a long time they took on some water so before flying this one you might want to seal the floats up better.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 07:43 PM
FPV is lifestyle!
Brazil, ES, Vila Velha
Joined Apr 2010
30 Posts
Humm...

I have tried to take off from water with some water inside floats...too bad...
I used so much elevator that I made a vertical climb from water when take off. Ir was so fast that I could not avoid crash. Now, I decided for a cam on the hook so I can see how things are going on far from my spot. Do you think it is a good idea?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2006
305 Posts
Well, I wrecked it today! Went out for the first time in a good year to do FPV stuff on land before taking it out to the lake tomorrow. Made about 5 flights then suddenly I lost all flight controls, pretty sure motor stopped also. I still had video.

I looked up, saw it spiraling in, then went back to the TV screen to try to watch exactly where it was going to hit. We are in a hilly area with tall grass. Anyway, I can't say I'm not disappointed but the carnage almost always makes up for it.

Great airplane. I'm ordering another tonight!

I just need to figure out if it was the receiver (HK orange), the FPV gear and maybe interference?, the ESC, etc? What caused the failure!?!?!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:18 PM
Joined Feb 2006
305 Posts
Heres a picture 1 week prior to crash, great airplane!

Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:13 AM
Joined Jan 2006
30 Posts
Just got my cessna rtf tonightI went out to test the thing for the first time with the floats on it and crashed it into the lake twice! Anyway it got off the water ok but immediatley was all over the place and nose dove into the lake. I am an experienced pilot but have never flown with floats on. It seemed to be way off balance, maybe underpowered? It flip flopped all over the place. I don't know it just did not want to fly well. One thing I noticed when building it was the motor was angled to the right so i put in some spacers to straighten it. Maybe It was supposed to be that way? The CG was near the leading edge of the wing and the flaps, ailerons and elevators were all even. Overall I like the plane but am scared to repair it and get it back in the air. It doesn't make much sense as to why it was behaving this way.
vrider is offline Find More Posts by vrider
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Apr 2008
382 Posts
If I read your post correctly your CG was close or at the leading edge. This is too far forward and would definitely cause a problem. Your CG should be closer to the wing spar area. You need to re balance your plane once you put floats on. Also, put the right thrust back the way it was.
chistech is offline Find More Posts by chistech
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:57 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
how long did it take to get arrive?
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:21 AM
France, PACA, Peille
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
Hi,

I' ve got one since last March and no time yet to test it....I changed the ESC because after a few "Bip", nothing happen and the steering servo ( broken gears ) ... maybe this week end if the weather is good !

Are the flaps really usefull on this plane ?

Thanks !
Pascal06 is offline Find More Posts by Pascal06