HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Discussion
RTF "Jet" for beginner RC flyers?

On another thread about beginners that buy an EDF and then crash never to see the RC hobby ever again, this was posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofi View Post
It's clear that new comers are being drawn to the hobby by EDF's, not the WWII fighters that we were probably aiming for as beginners.
That got me thinking about easy-to-fly, trainer airplanes that "look like a jet"; ideally available as RTF for newbies that not only don't know how to fly but also have no building skills.

Here is what I found this morning on Google:

Funjet

ToughJet (not really RTF)

Condor

Carson Thunderbird

ThunderBat XT ParkJet Trainer 2211 RTF

Anyone know of a great looking, jet-like, easy to fly, RTF, trainer?
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Last edited by MiddleMarc; Jun 26, 2011 at 08:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
320 Posts
The HK "SkyFun" version of the FunJet in your first picture was my third plane after a UM Champ and a UM T-28.
It is supposed to be Receiver-Ready but mine required a lot of work and some outside the box thinking to fix all its problems and upgrade the power system.
In spite of all those preparation hurdles before it could fly, it actually is predictable, smooth and graceful to fly and land if you've had some experience AND you're a good natural pilot (in other words your ability is better than your experience level would normally indicate). It always impresses watchers at the field with its flying qualities, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first plane.
Even as a second plane it would require some buddy-box time to make sure it lasted long enough to get comfortable with it. My club has good instructors and I flew it on the buddy-box a lot at first.
Plus there is more risk in hand-launching with any pusher prop where the prop hangs below the fuselage.
I understand what you're saying, but I still think it would have to be a second plane and even then with a support system like a club that has good instructors in order for a new flyer to have success.
Maybe some of the other smaller, slower pusher prop jets would be successful, but I haven't flown any of those.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Last edited by soundguy63; Jun 26, 2011 at 09:17 PM.