HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by stalyoni, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:23 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
Only been on a plane like 3 times so i will be stressing out big time.
Here is a true full-scale experience of mine (reposted from a "hair raising adventure" thread), just to keep ya calm on yer flight Stal:
hehheh.

"Returning from my dear old dads funeral, departing DFW as a "full scale" passenger...landing gear directly under my seat apparently hit debris on the runway just before rotation (just like the ill-fated poor Concorde)...huge *THUMP* right under me just as we rotate and leave the runway...elderly lady passenger next to me asking "what was that?" "Trouble", I replied..."better tighten up". Looked out the window to see fuel streaming out, right over downtown Dallas...we circle awhile and slowly head back toward the airport, I see airport fire trucks streaming out to an emergency strip wayy out on the back 40...foam is spread even. As we line up for the approach I notice no flaps are extended, no slats, no aileron movement even! I felt the plane yawing w/ flat turns, apparently the pilot has only rudder...we come in really hot and soooooper long, yawing all over the runway...but we make it. Takes the aircraft forever to stop, feels like. Everyone claps when we finally do. Bussed back to terminal and await another flight. Lots of time to reflect on Life and all that...."

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=14

Bud, telling scary stories Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:40 PM
Gone Insane .... Back Soon!!
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Speedbumps ...... bwaahahahahaha

LMFAO nice one Bud
Meebo is offline Find More Posts by Meebo
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:05 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
Speedbumps ...... bwaahahahahaha

LMFAO nice one Bud
esky lidders, shark bait, ocean biscuits, gut sliders

ive heard it all mate.

I love bodyboarding and wouldnt change it for the world. I dont do it enough as i should. I used to surf twice a day when i was younger. Im now almost 33 and 120kg (lost 15kg on healthy choice meals). Just trying to do it to get fit bud.

I plan to hire a long board over there on the smaller days and do some stand up or maybe get one of those paddle boards. I have a waterproof mp3 player so i can stay out in the water for hours. Except to come in and lather up my lilly white pail skin (im half ranga) with sunscreen.

Should be lots of fun. I just want to get barreled and it will make it all worth it.

BTW thanks for you dodgey plane story. Really makes me feel safe now. I hate flying on real planes. But i love the rc ones. Go figure
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:57 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
... Only been on a plane like 3 times so i will be stressing out big time...
And you reckon AFL players are sooks???

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:29 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
And you reckon AFL players are sooks???

BJ
Ouch !!!

Harsh BJ, very Harsh but AFL players are still sooks
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:26 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
A new HK pylon racer for Stal (and others) to lust after:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Red%5FARF.html

Bud, (I'm so bad) Bud
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:33 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,184 Posts
Nah ill pass on that one BUD

I finally got to maiden my yak 54 this morning. Long story short got it in the air and the elev stab ripped off one side. Was very uncontrollable. Came in very hot. Ended up in two pieces.

I had a flight with an 8x4 prop but found out the motor was actually a 1000kv so i went home and got my 10x8 and had another flight and thats when the stab came off mid flight. So it lasted all of two flights. I think its time for it to go as im well over it.

Walked around for the peice of the elev stab for almost an hour but couldn't find it.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Jul 08, 2011, 07:15 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,892 Posts
That's no go Stal...

Did you try looking for it where you'd least expect to find it?

Sometimes, that works...

BJ
Old Jul 08, 2011, 07:25 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
ooohhhhh I'm excited, almost finished my Hawk 3D build.

Just got to connect up the control horns, add electronics and put on the stickers.

Then it's crash time wooohooooo
Old Jul 08, 2011, 07:36 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Do a good preflight there Meebz...don't end up like Stal there, parts flying off midair and all that...

(j/k, j/k...)
Old Jul 08, 2011, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Do a good preflight there Meebz...don't end up like Stal there, parts flying off midair and all that...

(j/k, j/k...)
I still gotta research this ESC to see if I have to program it.
Figure out how to range check the Orange DSM2 RX.
Work out the correct wiring of it all.
Figure out this new Turnigy Accucel-6 charger with charge board and
Program my TX.

So I don't expect to be flying any time soon.

Steady as she goes Bud.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,892 Posts
Quote:
Program my TX.

Steady as she goes Bud.
Jeez - just pull ya bloody finger out and go fly the darn thing

You'll probably stack it - that's a given. Just try to get it as level as you can before it goes in.

With a bit of luck, you'll actually get it airborn on your first launch/take off.

Right then is when you find out how far out of trim it might be - and that's where the fun starts. Trying, say, to give it a handful of right aileron because it's wanting to bank left while fumbling around trying to find and then adjust the right aileron trim slider is good for the soul

And, with a bit of luck, your elevator needs some trim and the CG is a bit out too

And your throws and Expo feel nothing like they did on the Sim...

Character building

BJ
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:02 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Program my TX.

Steady as she goes Bud.
Here let me help ya out there:

1) most ESCs' come from the factory setup to run lipos, at a medium motor timing, and with "soft start" not engaged.

2) range checking should be easy...you have a dx6i yes? Just follow the manual...

3)The Orangey rx's are pretty easy to wire up...just follow the sticker on the input pins...for two aileron swervos, plug the second ail into the "aux" channel and enable "flaps" in your radio.

4)Accucell 6 is an absurdly easy charger...lucky for you...I have two. Hit me up w/ any ?'s (hint- d/l the manual in the "files" tab on the HK A6 webpage...not too bad, minimal Chinklish.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Jeez - just pull ya bloody finger out and go fly the darn thing

You'll probably stack it - that's a given. Just try to get it as level as you can before it goes in.

With a bit of luck, you'll actually get it airborn on your first launch/take off.

Right then is when you find out how far out of trim it might be - and that's where the fun starts. Trying, say, to give it a handful of right aileron because it's wanting to bank left while fumbling around trying to find and then adjust the right aileron trim slider is good for the soul

And, with a bit of luck, your elevator needs some trim and the CG is a bit out too

And your throws and Expo feel nothing like they did on the Sim...

Character building

BJ
As Beej implies...it's a good idea to get your aircraft as mechanically neutral (as far as control surfaces/trims) as possible before messing around with electronic trimming. Eyeball all your surfaces and get them as neutral as possible. Make sure you start w/ zero trim for all adjustments on your tx. Remember- unlike a heli, an airplane wants to fly well...it needs only minimal help from the pilot to do so!

As far as building- build straight and true as possible...nuthin will mess up an airplane worse than crooked, drooped or otherwise out-of-whack flight surfaces. Oh, also as Beej implies- get the CG right!! (2/3 or so back along the wing chord, AUW.)

Are you planning on using landing gear? I would recommend so...a ROG (rise off ground) takeoff is much more satisfying than hand-launching...plus it gives you a few precious seconds of time to observe how the aircraft is going to perform once fully airborne, during the rollout and climbout. (it's a thrill to see your hard work rising gorgeously into the sky, scale-like) Oh, having landing gear really makes approaches and landings rather interesting also....as opposed to the "conrolled crash" of belly landing. ugh.

There ya go. Yer all set.

Bud, flown a few airplanes once or twice Bud
Last edited by maukabud; Jul 08, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,892 Posts
I'm with Bud on the landing gear thing

You can always abort a runway takeoff if things look wildly out of whack. An 'abort' on a handlaunch usually means a crash *tinkle tinkle*

Having said that, I only have two planes with wheels. And of those, only one is suitable to fly off a grassed surface. Bitumen/concrete (like a basketball court, car-park, back-road somewhere) is ideal. The flatter, smoother and more even the better.

Grass tends to grip the wheels, and while you can often get away on a take off, landing can be a right prick. Small wheels dig in if the grass is spongey cooch etc, and the plane nose-flips instantly. Depending on how hot you come in, you can usually avoid any structural damage (like a busted tailfin or bent wing if it pinches to one side and cartwheels you). But a busted prop and/or bent prop-shaft seem to be the norm with my front-propped planes.

Oh... and your first flight is going to be a lot like your first root. Well, mine was anyways (in both cases) LoL.

...heart will beat fast, breath will be short. Legs will shake a bit. Maybe a moist brow and certainly sweaty palms. Anticipation. Excitement!

Fun, this flying thing - huh?

BJ
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:33 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Thanks fellas, much apprec.

Haven't been able to do anymore today missus is at work so I'm baby sitting and I DO NOT TRUST HIM TO NOT TOUCH plus it's just too distracting.

Shall continue in a few hours and into the night.

Maybe, just maybe I will maiden tomorrow.

It's a bugga I can't film it (easily), I'd like to post it up so y'all can have a good laugh.