SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by stalyoni, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:02 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,426 Posts
She'll be right - I've done many a 'bridge' job to charge a LiPo I don't have the correct connector for.

Just be real careful not to short the wires when connecting/charging/disconnecting the cell - things can get a bit close on those mini-JST's

Oh - and make sure you can adjust your charge-rate to suit your cell. Just go for a 1C charge rate for now - 1000mAh LiPo, charge at 1Amp. 850mAh charge at 0.85Amp and so on...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:06 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
Meebo this concerns me what your about to do mate.

Firstly what lipos are you going to use?

What connectors are currently on them?

How many cells are they?

What charger are you using?

Sure you can find xt60 connectors on ebay. Damm i have a few here.

Dont MEEBO it just yet mate. Tell us what charger you have first or better still take a pic of what your trying to achieve.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:09 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
I spent the morning putting together my hawk 3d 80.

I ended up stripping out the control rods and servo horns and servos from the yak54.

Long story short shes all together and the lipos are charging as we speak. Its very winy right now. Im hoping to get a flight in before the sun goes down.

I actually did a pretty professional job putting this one together this time. Very proud of myself. Ill put up pics later.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:16 PM
Gone Insane .... Back Soon!!
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
I just posted this in the Accucell 6 thread but I prolly should have just posted it here

This will be the first time using this Turnigy Accucel 6 charger with the HK Parallel Balance charging Board and I don't wanna stuff up on my first go, reading all the dangers with lipo batteries has got me a bit paranoid so I'm hoping you guys can set me off on the right foot.

I have got 5 x Turnigy Nano Tech 2S 850mah batteries ..... How exactly do I set up the charger for these ??

Cheers guys.
Meebo is offline Find More Posts by Meebo
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:18 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
She'll be right - I've done many a 'bridge' job to charge a LiPo I don't have the correct connector for.

Just be real careful not to short the wires when connecting/charging/disconnecting the cell - things can get a bit close on those mini-JST's

BJ
Umm what if I already let the + and - wires touch on one of the batteries ??

Is it toast or will it still be OK to use, it only touched for a second or less.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:32 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
is the lipo swollen? I wouldnt trust it after that mate.

I take it the lipos have a JST connector right? and your charger only has a XT60 connector right?

You need to get the right charging harness.

Do you have any female JST connectors? You could cut off the XT60 connector and solder on the female JST connector in its place and this would work.

Meebo you have to tell us what the lipo connector is and what the charger connector is mate ok.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
Umm what if I already let the + and - wires touch on one of the batteries ??

Is it toast or will it still be OK to use, it only touched for a second or less.
Two things with LiPo's - DON'T short them (bad). And don't prick the skin with a hobby knife etc - ever (even worse).

LiPo's carry a lot of energy - you seen the vid of the guy starting a 4cyl car on a 3S 2200mAh LiPo? Shorting a reasonable sized LiPo is akin to shorting a car battery. And both start generating a lot of heat during the short.

LiPo's generate a lot of heat real quick on a dead-short. The danger there is that they can quickly get to a point where there's no turning back from - they'll puff up and explode (as will severly overharging one).

Pricking the skin of one with a steel blade sets off a fast and dangerous chain reaction that produces a similar result. Check YouTube for examples of how fast and violently they go bang.

I wouldn't be trying to charge a whole heap of 850's from a parallel-charge board if you don't have the right connectors.

But I would charge one at a time with a 'bridge' from the main lead of the charger to the main lead of the battery - I've had to do it a few times, and I just make sure that the + and - leads can't touch anywhere during the process (use gaffer tape, blue tac etc to make sure they are apart and stay apart). But I only ever do this using a 'blanance charge' i.e. I still plug the balance port into the balance board.

It's not something I'd do every day, but I've done it occasionally when I needed to charge something I didn't have the right leads for...

BJ
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
..Meebo you have to tell us what the lipo connector is and what the charger connector is mate ok.
Post a couple of pics Meebs...

BJ
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
is the lipo swollen? I wouldnt trust it after that mate.

I take it the lipos have a JST connector right? and your charger only has a XT60 connector right?

You need to get the right charging harness.

Do you have any female JST connectors? You could cut off the XT60 connector and solder on the female JST connector in its place and this would work.

Meebo you have to tell us what the lipo connector is and what the charger connector is mate ok.
No the lipo isn't swollen at all.

The batteries are mini jst and the parra board is XT60.

I don't have any connectors at all so I can't Meebo up something, that's why I removed the mini jst connectors, widened the XT60 holes on the parra board a little and have inserted the wires into those holes. It's a really neat and tight fit so it won't fall out during charging (I hope).

Once charged I'll just put the plug back on the batteries.

Should also note that the wires aren't bare, they still have the metal bit attached, simply removed the plastic part of the mini jst.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:46 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
No the lipo isn't swollen at all.

The batteries are mini jst and the parra board is XT60.

I don't have any connectors at all so I can't Meebo up something, that's why I removed the mini jst connectors, widened the XT60 holes on the parra board a little and have inserted the wires into those holes. It's a really neat and tight fit so it won't fall out during charging (I hope).

Once charged I'll just put the plug back on the batteries.

Should also note that the wires aren't bare, they still have the metal bit attached, simply removed the plastic part of the mini jst.
super dooper dodgey mate. Keep something ceramic over the charger or take it out th e shed or away from the house mate.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:51 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
hey BJ have you ever set up flaps on an orange spektrum TX?

I have two servos on my ailerons on the extra 260. But at the moment i have it set up on a Y cable and im using a ar6100e clone rx in it. But i have a spare orange tx with satellite here and i wanted to use it in my extra 260.

Do i put one of the ailerons on the aile channel and the other on flaps and then using mixing?

good luck meebo i really hope you dont blow up your house and im actually not joking. I wouldnt be doing what your doing.

LIPOS ARE DANGEROUS
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:56 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Post a couple of pics Meebs...

BJ
Picies
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:00 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
good luck meebo i really hope you dont blow up your house and im actually not joking. I wouldnt be doing what your doing.

LIPOS ARE DANGEROUS
Yeah I know mate, lipo's freak me out. This is why I'm asking before doing and posting pics.

If you boys flat out say DON'T DO IT then I won't, will just have to wait till I get the right adaptors
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:01 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
meebo i hate to said like a downer but you have a potential bomb there mate.

The acucell 6 comes with a charging harness and it has one JST connector on it. Just use that and charge each lipo one at a time for now.

What your doing is dangerous.

I wouldnt mess around with lipos mate.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:04 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
meebo i hate to said like a downer but you have a potential bomb there mate.

The acucell 6 comes with a charging harness and it has one JST connector on it. Just use that and charge each lipo one at a time for now.

What your doing is dangerous.

I wouldnt mess around with lipos mate.
Mine only came with a XT60 harness, no jst