HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by stalyoni, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:35 PM
Gone Insane .... Back Soon!!
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Unfortunately landing gear isn't an option as I don't have a runway or anything to act as one where I fly .

Well I could use the road way adjacent to the park buuuut I don't think that would be a good idea until I can take off, fly and land with me eyes closed.
Meebo is offline Find More Posts by Meebo
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:47 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,731 Posts
Nah...don't talk yourself into a crash.

If it happens, it happens. You might just surprise yourself

Just make sure you've got enough power on for the take-off. It doesn't need to be full throttle, but certainly enough to give it a good chance to get up. Maybe around 3/4 is a good starting point.

If you're handlaunching it, it has to feel like it wants to come out of your hand. And give it a good firm 'push' - don't try to throw it like a javelin. Biggest mistake I used to make is really trying to hoik it into the air - and that usually resulted in me not releasing it straight - wings have to be level with the nose of the plane plane pitching up at anywhere between flat to around a 30deg incline.

Second mistake I used to make was tossing it up too steep. When that happens, the belly of your plane is 'snow plowing' into the air - no air to generate lift is going over the wing itself, so it just stalls and falls to the ground.

Oh, and if you've got a breeze - any breeze - use it. Point the launch directly into it. It's all about airspeed over the wing, not how fast the plane is moving relative to the ground. And, of course, likewise on landings. Come down into any breeze that's around. Wind is your friend here - so long as it's faily constant and not too fierce or swirly. You can actually land a lot slower when working the nose into a bit of a breeze.

Most important thing on take-off and landing is keep the wings level. When I started, I was trying to correct the nose via the elevator or the yaw via the rudder (if you have one). None of that matters if the wings aren't level to start with. Keep the power up, get the wings level, and pull a bit of elevator and it will fly itself.

Jeez, I crap-on. Prolly scared the daylights out of you now .

She'll be sweet, mate. #1 priority - keep the wings level, no matter what - yah?

BJ

PS - and like Bud suggested - do a good preflight. I check every plane before each flight. It's a good habit to get into. I connect the LiPo, then check each control surface max in each direction on the sticks. Surfaces have to move smooth and the expected amount in both directions. Takes all of 5 seconds to do. It's a lot easier to see/hear something not quite right - like a sticking/twitching servo, a surface not moving correctly/far enough, a loose horn etc - while it's still on the ground. Just because it flew ok last time doesn't mean it hasn't developed a problem somewhere along the line. Esp if you're belly-landing a plane with control horns/linkages on the underside...
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Last edited by BJ64; Jul 08, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 10:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Nah...don't talk yourself into a crash.

If it happens, it happens. You might just surprise yourself
Not talking muself into one, just facing the facts that it will happen.
Gone for a full 3D plane as my first without using any trainers, nothing but sim time, I'm gonna crash and I know it, needless to say that I'm gonna try not to but it's inevitable neo.

Quote:
Jeez, I crap-on. Prolly scared the daylights out of you now .
Nahh grateful for the advise, cheers.

OK, lemme try summarise:

Preflight check, ensure all surfaces travel correctly in both directions with no binding and are still secured correctly, check.
Ensure nuts are still attached, check.
Always face into the wind, check.
Ensure pacemaker is fitted, check.
Use approx 3/4 throttle for hand launch, check.
Wear a head band to ensure the steady stream of sweat does not enter eyes, check.
Throw at approx a 30 angle whilst keeping wings level (preferably under arm throw yah ?), check.
Wear condom in case you don't crash and experience the Oh Yeah! feeling, check.
Release plane and put ya head between ya knee's and kiss your @ss goodbye, check.

How'd I do ??
Old Jul 08, 2011, 10:41 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
You got it Meebz...but make sure they're the ones with the "resovior tip". :eewww:

I've been on a lot of full-scale flight lines (airshows, military brat, all dat)...full scale pilots do the exact same preflight drill...it's cool to watch them waggle all the surfaces before flight...'specially if they're hot Thunderbird F-16s'...or a Christian Eagle...or Pattys' Extra....or Julies' T-34...or a couple of cold-war era F-111s'...or...Blue Angels F-18s'...or....

Good point on the headwind takeoff and landing mention Beej...forgot to mention that (sheesh...and I'm a sailplane pilot even...lol!) With a headwind, your approach will be nice and slow...

I was out thermaling this morn...freaky natural things, they are...conditions seemed optimal...motored around all my usual thermal maker spots (metal roofs, parking lots, dirt lots etc.) where they usually pop up...nuthin. Got tired of it, glided over to the downwind cross leg, was a bit too high to start the approach, so circled to scrub some altitude...what the hell...up she went!! Thermal, right in my landing pattern...lol! Dont'cha know, it also happened to be right in the sunward side of the sky too..which brings me to:

Meebz, also try and fly with the sun at your back- nuthing worse then getting "sun-blinded" when tracking your plane into the sun!

It's amazing how little some RC pilots consider the wind direction- when I was learning, I went to a LHS "fun-fly"...here were these guys (LHS employees), supposed "professionals", hucking their planes willy-nilly any directions they pleased- crosswind, downwind, whatever. Whackos. They left with all their craft in pieces, and considered it a "good day". lol!

Bud, full-of-stories-on-another-boring-Fri.-work-nite Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
OK, lemme try summarise:

Preflight check, ensure all surfaces travel correctly in both directions with no binding and are still secured correctly, check.
Ensure nuts are still attached, check.
Always face into the wind, check.
Ensure pacemaker is fitted, check.
Use approx 3/4 throttle for hand launch, check.
Wear a head band to ensure the steady stream of sweat does not enter eyes, check.
Throw at approx a 30 angle whilst keeping wings level (preferably under arm throw yah ?), check.
Wear condom in case you don't crash and experience the Oh Yeah! feeling, check.
Release plane and put ya head between ya knee's and kiss your @ss goodbye, check.

How'd I do ??
You forgot:

Wear Kimbies - don't need the audience to know you've dumbed a lil jobbie in ya pay-ants...

Oh..and some sunnies are the go too. You'll find that staring into a pale blue sky watching your plane starts to get a bit bright after a couple of minutes- even with sun at your back.

Din realise it's a full-on 3D plane you've got there. I'd take it easy on the sticks then - those things turn on a dime.

Re your launch - 3/4 throttle is just a starting point suggestion. It has to feel like it wants to leap out of you hand. I did a lot of my early launches under-throttled - cocked-up the level wings bit, launched too steep, and started to stall. Only option then was to go for full power, but on certain aircraft/motors, that starts to induce torque-roll - and I was already in trouble with everything else by that stage and in she went.

Some ppl just take it to full power in their hand before they release. I'd just make sure it's got enough power up to make it feel like it wants to go.

Launch angle is also only a suggestion - but you don't want to end up spearing it up too steep. It won't be able to generate lift until it gets some speed up if the AoA is too high. And because you don't already have the speed up yet, you can run out of altitude before the aero kicks in. Now, if you've got a big-ass motor on it, you can sometimes pull up on thrust alone.

If you're underhand launching, maybe tip it up 10-20deg. Although those 3D things will just about pull vertical from the ground anyways. With my Rare Bear, for example, I give it about 3/4 welly and can feel it really trying to pull it out of my hand. Then I just basicially let go of it while applying a guiding underhand slight push, making sure the wings are level and I get my release hand out of the way of the tailfin as it comes through so I don't snag it and tip her over. More or less a guiding forward moving drop - and away she sails. Took a few goes to get the feel of it, but I'm totally confident with my launches now.

Are there any YewToob vids of your particular plane being launched? Great things to get some pointers with - in particular, watch the release. Angle, effort put in, that kinda thing. And listen to their throttle too.

And oh yeh - don't forget the most important thing mate - have fun with it

BJ
Old Jul 09, 2011, 03:11 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,141 Posts
Quote:
That's no go Stal...

Did you try looking for it where you'd least expect to find it?

Sometimes, that works...

BJ
yes mate. I actually filmed it with my hat cam. After collecting my plane i watched the footage back and saw where it fell off. Walked around that entire area for about an hour mate. The problem was that where it came off was over a tree line and the other side is all scrub and a creek. The other side of that is a golf course.

The fuse has snapped right at the back. Im sure i can fix that. But the elev stab is missing one side. Its very flimsy material and i should of known better and put a spa across it. Anyways i could get another tail set for it from banana hobby.

But while i did have it in flight it was very pitchy. So whats going on there guys? It would see saw through the air. Like gain altitude and then drop and repeat. The other problem is that i hot glued the elev stab on and its going to be a job to get it out.

I think ill patch her up as good as i can and sell it on. Buy a bloody RTF model next time.

I have decided to put my hawk 3d 80 together. Ill finish her off in the morning. Im hoping these servos i took out of my extra 260 will be ok for it.

BTW took the extra 260 up for one flight as well and broke the prop coming in on landing AGAIN. Thats like the 4 or 5th prop i have broken on it. You cant land this thing slow now so it becomes very tricky. Whats the secret guys.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Jul 09, 2011, 03:16 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
So much for getting into this build this arvo to finish her off haven't so much as looked at it let alone do anything to it.

Damn kids, wouldn't change it for the world but it would be nice to do some of your own stuff even though their there .

Oh wells, nuther coupla hours and he'll be asleep so I can get moving then.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 04:28 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,731 Posts
That 'porposing' could be the CG being too far rearward, Stal.

Or maybe a tail stab incidence problem?

Meebs - ya must be champing at the bit by now. Still, it gives you time to digest all of that expert *coughbullshitcough* advice you got today

BJ
Old Jul 09, 2011, 06:08 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,141 Posts
Quote:
That 'porposing' could be the CG being too far rearward, Stal.

Or maybe a tail stab incidence problem?

Meebs - ya must be champing at the bit by now. Still, it gives you time to digest all of that expert *coughbullshitcough* advice you got today

BJ
yeah, never the less ill patch her up and sell her on. Im over it. Went through two motors and an esc trying to get her set up.

So i got bored and i have put together my hawk 3d 80. Did a bloody good job as well. Used dubro hinges and 3 layers of hinge tape this time. I used carbon spa in the wing and elev stab.

Just need to make the control rods now but i have to work out what servos im using first.

I have some servos but the servo arms i want to use are too big for the splines. Have you guys got any idea how i can make up the gap and still make it secure? Theres about 1-2 gap.

Otherwise ill have to wait till next week and order 3 hxt900's
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
yeah, never the less ill patch her up and sell her on. Im over it. Went through two motors and an esc trying to get her set up.

So i got bored and i have put together my hawk 3d 80. Did a bloody good job as well. Used dubro hinges and 3 layers of hinge tape this time. I used carbon spa in the wing and elev stab.

Just need to make the control rods now but i have to work out what servos im using first.

I have some servos but the servo arms i want to use are too big for the splines. Have you guys got any idea how i can make up the gap and still make it secure? Theres about 1-2 gap.

Otherwise ill have to wait till next week and order 3 hxt900's
If ur using DuBro hinges, why the tape?

What servo's are you using/need arms for? I have a stack of arms (from a heap of servo's where I need only one arm from the half dozen or so other ones each servo ships with).

BJ
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:41 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
So much for getting into this build this arvo to finish her off haven't so much as looked at it let alone do anything to it.

Damn kids, wouldn't change it for the world but it would be nice to do some of your own stuff even though their there .Oh wells, nuther coupla hours and he'll be asleep so I can get moving then.
Boy Howdee lemme tell ya, I know about the kid thang Meebz...try it w/ no relief (significant other) around...my shop never gets organized, my projects never get finished. One learns to treasure those very few precious hours after kid bedtime! (that's why I lubz my MCPx- night time is indoor fly time ) Say goodbye to enough sleep!

Snuck in two good pattern flights this morn before werky-werk...wx was too perfect not to! (Bluebird, no wind, 75F)

Was thinking whilst flying Meebz- we forgot to mention, since you got a 3D plane, EXPO is crucial to successful first flights also- whatever softens response around center-stick (I forget neg or pos, since I run both Futaba and Spekky txs'- somewhere around 25-30%, depending on the plane and throws). You can also tame down your EPAs' on travel if ya likes...I never had the need, when I was learning my 3D planes. Don't forget to set up distinctively seperate dual rates also- quite mild on low rates, and standard on high rates...that way, once you get up "three mistakes high" (another tip, that), you can scare yahself by flipping to high rates to see how she handles with full grunt on control surfaces...and flip back when ya chit yahself!

Off I go to see why our dammned outdoor lap pool isn't self-filling like it should now...dayum job. lol!

Bud, fixing other peoples' broken chit Bud
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:51 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,141 Posts
Quote:
If ur using DuBro hinges, why the tape?

What servo's are you using/need arms for? I have a stack of arms (from a heap of servo's where I need only one arm from the half dozen or so other ones each servo ships with).

BJ
I only had a few dubro hinges left so i had to place them wisely.

On the ailerons i have a large dubro hinge and and small one on ether side. There was to much slop in the middle so i put three layers of tape there to be sure to be sure to be sure. Did the same for the elev stab and rudder.

The servos i have are these white ones i pulled out of my extra 260. I was just going to use em up and chuck the in this 3d hawk. I managed to find the original servo arms for two of the servos.

My problem is if i use one of these white servos for the ailerons i will have to fit a double arm. As it controls both ailerons with one servo.

Pretty sure i have a hxt900 laying around somewhere but i think it was playing up.

Oh well ill have a go at finishing the build later when i get out of my nice warm bed.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:41 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
You guyz that like fast planes...man...this is the one I'd get if I was into it...

Behold the bee-yoo-tee-ful Hanger 9 Sundowner 36 (check out the gorgeous gallery photos):

http://hangar-9.com/Products/Default...Sundowner36ARF

Bud, dreaming away another Sat. werkday Bud
Last edited by maukabud; Jul 09, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 06:54 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
I'm soooo bored here at work today...happened to have my 6mm Depron plane w/ me (yup, that one over <--there) sooo:

...discovered that standard flat white latex house paint works great to "freshen up" old yellowed CA/epoxy repaired Depron...dries almost un-noticeable. Gives new life to a tired old Deppy plane...

Also, flat red acrylic "traffic marking" paint works great to add/freshen up red underwing striping...*highly* visible and dries quick too! (comes in orange and blue also)

Bud, freshened up Bud
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,572 Posts
FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Dammit, I don't have the required XT60 - Mini-JST to charge my batteries

I'm goin to do something a lil dangerous cos I WANNA FLY, I'll remove the mini-jst plugs and jam it into the XT60 holes so they can charge. Shall be done outside and away from flammables.

Will hunt around and try to find the correct adaptors in AUS, hopefully I won't have to order O/S.