HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:30 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,072 Posts
Discussion
Sterling Models, plans of kits

Hello. I'm opening this new thread to see if modelers out there agree with me that Sterling Model plans can be posted here for us to enjoy. I'm doing this separate from the famous Vintage and Oldtimer plans because I think Sterling deserves a very special place in our forum and hobby. I know several Sterling plans have been posted in other forums but I hope they can be located here.
As many of you know, Sterling was one of the greatest kit manufacturers in the world. Founded in 1946 by Mr. Edward Manulkin, Ed to all of us who knew him, this company became one of the most respected name in balsa model airplane kits. At one time, they were producing over 120 different models not only aircraft but also ships and static scale models. It was the first company to introduce a P51 control line model made of styrofoam. It didn't sell. That was in the 1960s. It was way ahead of its time. They also pioneered die-cut parts (They made their own dies). and sold the first real practical proportional single channel radio, the "Command Master". Ed passed away in 1977 and the company continue headed by his very efficient secretary, Miss Betty Boyle, his daughter Sylvia Manulkin and his designer Bob Clauss. Sterling was sold to Estes Industries but this company did not fully reintroduced the kits so they closed it down. Many of us built several Sterling kits and we have a nostalgic feeling so if we can obtain the plans, we will be very happy indeed!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
I first met the Mr. when thay came to Pasadena once in January of the 1970's. They showed off a re-vival of older kits, none of which ever hit our stores. The firm was famous for a one view plan, that unless you had a kit and parts in hand your were not going much further. A way to sell complete kits, not fix up your old one, and a lot of folks are cussing them out now.

You need to vist the Vintage Sterling web-site run by Jeff coons of Atlanta Georgia.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:21 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,072 Posts
Most Sterling kits did not include ithe parts on the plan, that's true. But many of these parts can be obtained from the fuselage, wings etc. shown. However, most of the rubber powered models introduced in 1963 did show all the parts. It is very interesting to have all Sterling plans with or without parts. At least that's my opinion.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:26 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
You may need to discuss this matter with Coons then. For I built the from the A/C and the boat series and plans were near identical as to makeup.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:30 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,072 Posts
What do I need to discuss with Mr. Coons? What did you build from the A/C? What's A/C? What do you mean by saying "identical as to makeup?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:22 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,862 Posts
Have at it Eduardo! Lets see all of your Sterling plans!

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:07 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,072 Posts
Apart from those obtained from Hippocket, I will post the ones I have. not too many, but I do have some. But let's have other people follow suite.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:23 PM
In the Dunes
Chesterton, IN
Joined Dec 2003
169 Posts
Call me whatever you like, but IMHO it isn't worth it to post Sterling plans. Sterling kits were, to put it as nicely as I can, crap. The wood was always dried out and brittle, the die cutting was horrid (and didn't get much better as the art improved), parts fit was worse and the overall quality was poor. I built several of them. The larger CL planes flew fairly well, but I never could get one of their rubber powered kits to fly worth a damn.

Sterling, Guillows and Comet between them probably chased more people out of modeling with their lousy kits than they ever attracted to the hobby.

Just my opinion, but I'll bet there are others who agree with me out there.

papermache
papermache is offline Find More Posts by papermache
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:44 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,072 Posts
I agree with you that some Sterling kits had low quality BUT they flew very well indeed. and were very, very attractive when finished. At least the Radio Control models. I myself built and flew the Tri Pacer (58" span), the P-51 Musang (RC), the P-63 Kingcobra, the Mambo, the Cessna 180 and others. No control line, I don't like it. As for rubber models, they DID fly. All you had to do is build them accurately and light!! Of course they didn't fly like a Wakefield, but they were an excellent exercise in building. Not only Sterling was low quality, Other kit makers of the time also had very low quality but their designs flew very well. Take Berkeley, for example. Excellent designs, bad kits. That is why perhaps I have built only from plans for the last 30 years!! I think that Sterling models should be kept alive mostly for the designs themselves which were unique and very nice when finished. Guillow and Others are STILL IN BUSINESS and I don't agree that their kits have chased people away from modelling, on the contrary, I'm one of those who loves Guillows, Comet and others. And if they are still in business is no doubt because their kits sell by thousands to thousands of happy customers worldwide. I'm sure these thousands of people are not dissatisfied with their products. Yes, it is a matter of opinion, like my dislike for ARFS which I consider expensive toys for grown up men, not modelling.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:45 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,072 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what the hell is IMHO?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:04 PM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
I Agree To Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermache View Post
Call me whatever you like, but IMHO it isn't worth it to post Sterling plans. Sterling kits were, to put it as nicely as I can, crap. The wood was always dried out and brittle, the die cutting was horrid (and didn't get much better as the art improved), parts fit was worse and the overall quality was poor. I built several of them. The larger CL planes flew fairly well, but I never could get one of their rubber powered kits to fly worth a damn.

Sterling, Guillows and Comet between them probably chased more people out of modeling with their lousy kits than they ever attracted to the hobby.

Just my opinion, but I'll bet there are others who agree with me out there.

papermache
I agree to a point only about the bad woods horrid die cutting in the kits but the ones I have scratch built using the right contest grade woods and trimed right to keep the weight down would fly as good or better then anything else at my field. with little or no mods so I think the over all designs where fine. anything that gets posted here will most certainly be a scratch build from plans and if the builder knows what he's doing he will have little problems putting together a nice flying model from posted Sterling plans.
kenny e is offline Find More Posts by kenny e
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what the hell is IMHO?
IMHO = In my honest opinion
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Post the plans

Edubarca

I Say we post'em even the ones from Hippocket there is a bunch of plans taken from this website over there so why not. spred the wealth
Last edited by kenny e; Jun 27, 2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:30 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
Sterling probably sold more control line Ring Master kits than any other airplane ever marketed. They were not exactly hight quality kits, but they were built by the 100's of thousands, by kids that learned to fly on them. As said above, they had many others that built up into beautiful models, like the R/C Stearman, that was built both controline and R/C.

Laser cut kits have set a new standard, but we learned a lot of skills building from the old kit manufacturers that were around back then. I personally have not built very many kits as I enjoy scratch building so much.

My first big contoline plane was an S-2 Sterling Mustang of which I just finished building another this last winter. It was just as much fun as the first one built back in the 60's.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:49 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
My first three C/L models were Ringmasters. Then I moved up to a Nobler.

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white