SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Build Log
Piper PA-36 Pawnee

Well after 10+ years I have decided to start a traditional balsa construction aircraft from plans. After a few weeks of deciding what subject to build, and some bouncing of ideas with a good friend. I have decided to build a Piper PA-36 Pawnee crop duster.
After a few hours searching the web and the forums on here I finally found some plans/drawings that would be usable.
My good friend electriflier worked his magic in a CAD program and I was presented with a plan with a overall wing span of 1220mm/48"
The plan did degrade a little in the process but with a couple of hours work, I am sure it will be more than good enough for me to work from, most of the lines on the plan will need sharpening up.
Any how the picture below is what I hope to achieve over the coming weeks/months ( I don't work as fast as Electriflier )
Not sure what the final colour scheme will be, but any suggestions are more than welcome.
Will update as and when I make progress.

Charles
elecracer is offline Find More Posts by elecracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:07 AM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
478 Posts
Looking forward to this one!! - Subscribed.
Electriflier is offline Find More Posts by Electriflier
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined Jul 2009
291 Posts
Any progress yet?

looking forward to a nice 'meaty' well detailed thread mate!
Sandracer17 is offline Find More Posts by Sandracer17
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:30 AM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandracer17 View Post
Any progress yet?

looking forward to a nice 'meaty' well detailed thread mate!
Progress is slow at the moment, working the wing. Need to alter a few things on the plan to make it easier for me to build. Will hopefully be updating (with pictures) later to day.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Wednesday 29th June - Wing

Well progress has been made, spent the last few days sorting out the wing construction. After spending a few hours here on rcgroups and reading a few threads on the Piper Pa-36.
I have never been confident in building wings, so a false leading edge and a stock leading edge construction was the easiest for me to work with.
I started using a upper and lower spar with shear webs, but found this labour intensive and may cause problems later with diehedral braces, and hopefully a working hopper. So after reworking my orginal plans and drawings i went with the following (see pictures) Alot of time was spent cutting out the ribs by hand, I am not very good with the scroll saw, all the ribs are 1/8th balsa, the wing spars are 1/8th balsa with 1/16th plywood braces. 1/8th lite-ply was used for the wing dowel and wing bolt mounts. Again all cut by hand with a sharp knife.
Any how what you see below is all dry fitted with no glue yet.
Hopefully will get started on the fuselage tomorrow, if all goes to plan will be constructed from 1/4 x 1/4 balsa with plywood formers.
Right enough rambling, time for some pictures
Old Jul 03, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Sunday 3rd July - Fuselage sides

Not much done today, spent the afternoon flying
Once home, I started building the fuselage sides, these are built from 1/4 sq balsa.
Built the first half over the plan, then the second over the first to ensure a good match. Once built I sanded the outside face to level ever thing.

Will need another light sand once built into the complete fuselage.

Hopefully tomorrow I may get chance to cut the main fuselage formers from a mixture of 1/6th and 1/8th ply. Only difference will be F1(motor mount) this more than likely will be 1/4 lite-ply.

Charles
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Tuesday 5th July

Got a little more done today. Started by measuring and marking out the fuselage formers onto paper. This took longer than expected mainly due to me not being too good with CAD programs, but I am learning as I go along.
Once the formers were drawn, I spray mounted the paper templates to the correct ply sheets. F1 will be the motor mount so 6.5mm lite-ply was chosen. All other formers will be 1/16th ply.
I now need a very steady hand to cut the formers out on a scroll saw.

Next job was to start the rear tail feathers/elevator. So again back to the CAD program and the paper templates were produced. I used 3/16 balsa for all the parts, the elevator halves are joined by a piece of 3/16th sq spruce.

Hopefully get a bit more done tomorrow, but will see how things go.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Jul 2009
291 Posts
Its coming along nicely by the looks!

Have you thought about power yet? I bet you have ; )
Old Jul 06, 2011, 04:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Its coming along nicely by the looks!

Have you thought about power yet? I bet you have ; )
Thanks, yes it's coming along. Nice and steady and the moment. Basically making a kit before I start the actual building. I am confident I will be altering things as I go along.
Power - plenty
Looking at a Thumper motor with around 280 watts on 3s lipo.

Charles
Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:11 PM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
More progress

Made a little more progress on the build, spent the last couple of days cutting out the fuselage formers.
With all formers cut out, I started dry fitting everything together. The motor mount F1 will be omitted until the fuselage/wing is complete so I can work out the thrust angles etc.
On the first dry fitting I broke both fuselage sides by trying to force the rear together. Rather frustrating but I should have known better, a slight repair/strengthening was required, I used 1/32nd ply to make gussets on the out side of the fuslage in the weakened areas, these will be later covered when the fuselage is sheeted.
Once the repair had set-up I once again started dry fitting the formers in place, this time with more care, some adjustments were required to get a nice fit.
Once happy I fitted and glued the formers F2 to F6 onto one side of the fuselage and allowed to dry, I am using normal wood glue for a stronger bond between the plywood and balsa.
The second fuselage side was then added, I did however notice that the formers were 'racked' forward so a right angled brace was positioned onto F2 to hold the formers at 90 deg to the fuselage sides.
After a few hours setting everything looked OK.
Now after my earlier mistake of forcing the rear together I decided to mist the rear fuselage sides with water, this allowed me to clamp the rear together easier and with little effort. I will now leave the fuselage clamped overnight to allow the fuselage sides to take on the shape they need to be before fitting and glueing the rear formers in place.
That's all for now, hope to get some more done over the weekend.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 06:04 PM
Joined Jul 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elecracer View Post
Power - plenty
Looking at a Thumper motor with around 280 watts on 3s lipo.

Charles
280 watts? Is that a typo? Do you mean 1280 watts?
That little Tucano does about that.....
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:14 PM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Great to see someone else scratch building from massive enlargements of 3-view web drawings.
The only way to build.
BTW I see one of these flying around here regularly, from the local airport 4 miles away.
Bill
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
280 watts? Is that a typo? Do you mean 1280 watts?
That little Tucano does about that.....
No typo there, 280 watts should be ample. If not I can always go for more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onna Vakkation View Post
Great to see someone else scratch building from massive enlargements of 3-view web drawings.
The only way to build.
BTW I see one of these flying around here regularly, from the local airport 4 miles away.
Bill
Bill, having not built for a while, this is a challenge for me. I could take the easy route and either buy a plan or even a kit. But I like a challenge. Already made a few mistakes with some things, but they can always be remade or altered.

charles
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Sunday 10th July

Had a few hours spare this morning before the British F1 GP.
So, I decided to make sure that the wing centre section would fit the fuselage, so i dry fitted the wing parts together and attempted to fit the two together, with abit of sanding and realigning the two parts came together OK.
Now how to mount the wing ? I had thought about dowels and wing bolts, or even making the model one piece. I decided in the end to use a single latch style front locating peg and will use two M4 wing bolts at the rear.
I started by fitting and glueing the Undercarriage fixing plate (1/4 lite ply) once this had set I cut the other parts to fit, the front locating plate is again liteply. the part on the wing is 1/8th liteply and the locating peg is 1/4 ply.
All parts are glued in place with wood glue for the strength.

Anyhow hope the pictures help with the explanation.

Charles
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Tuesday 12th July

Spent a couple of hours over the past two days working on the fuselage, managed to get F1 in place with what I hope is the correct amount of down thrust, side thrust will be added with thrust washers once the motor is fitted. I have aimed at 3 deg of down. F1 is 1/4 lite ply, on the rear onderside of F1 I have sheeted with 1/16th balsa, this will be where the ESC will live.
Once F1 was dry, I turned my attention to the rear fuselage, earlier on I clamped and misted the rear fuselage sides and left overnight to help with the next stage. Having cut all the rear formers earlier from 1/16th ply these were glued in place again with white glue. Once dry I cut the very rear of the fuselage sides to allow them to come together giving me a 3/16 rudder post. this will allow me to use 3/16th balsa for the rudder and vertical stab.
Today, I was able to sheet the rear cockpit floor with 1/16th sheet, the rest of my time was spent sheeting the rear turtle deck with nice soft 1/16th balsa.
This will allow me to get onto the next job, the one I am not really looking forward to, but this will define the aircraft. The job up next will be framing out the cockpit.