Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:10 PM
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Feb 2010
136 Posts
Whoops!
Its Stupid Idea Day !!!! Raptor 30 v2

Had an idea to stop nitro grass burn,,,,,

Please Keep OFF THE GRASS!!!!!

Raptor 30 V2 Stupid Idea Day (6 min 43 sec)
cruzroy is offline Find More Posts by cruzroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:50 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,017 Posts
Stupid idea day FTW
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:36 AM
Aircrafting is noisey...what?!
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Dec 2005
584 Posts
So instead of the smoke coming out the left side now it comes out on the right side.
I noticed you added a screen in the cap was that for something?
If your trying to collect the oil in the bottle you need something in it for the oil to stick to without affecting the air flow or CG. Try some fiber batting like they fill pillows with.
After a few tanks it will need replacing or continue getting heavier.
Lucky for the wife if you stop flying in your back yard the glass will recover on its own with a few mowings.
charlieoneseven is offline Find More Posts by charlieoneseven
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Dec 2005
584 Posts
I just maidened my raptor 30 V2 today and had a wild time with the gyro setup. Now with the gyro reversed I'll try again tomorrow it wanted to pirouette as soon as it got lite on the skids. I ran it twice about 5 minutes each time and let it cool off completely between runs.
Had to move the ball on the servo arm in one hole too going to the carb it was swinging too far I needed more than high trim to get it to idle on low stick. Added the remote glow plug so I can start it with the canopy on.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 06:15 PM
Joined Feb 2010
136 Posts
Dont go to fast take your time!

i had 5 flights under me a then ARGGGGGGHH!!!!

MY NEW VID.......

Raptor 30 V2 first crash (5 min 28 sec)
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:46 PM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
those trees creep up when you're not looking ya know!

How bad was the damage?
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
136 Posts
The damage!!!!!

PV0039 Main Rotor Blades 550mm Raptor 30
AK0004 Flybar Seesaw R30
PV0005 Flybar Control Rod
PV0035 Landing Skid Set R30/R50
PV0037 Tail Rotor Blades Raptor 30/50
PV0450 SUS Flybar Rod R30/R50/X50
PRIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
allon order, i dont know about the gyro and other things till i get her back together.....
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:55 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
tail servo and tail pitch slider

kinda looks like the tail servo had problems with centering ect.
First thing to do is to take off the tail pushrod at the servo and move it by hand.
It has to move very light and smooth.
If not then fix that before trying again.

then also test the tail servo if it does not have a gear problem ect.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
136 Posts
thanks for all the help

about the fuel catcher, it was working collecting the oil from the fuel, but my container could not handle the heat,,,i will attemp 1 out of lexan, and it will be called the GRASS SAVER...

and my parts are almost here to rebuild the rappy....YEAHHHH!
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Dec 2005
584 Posts
OK now you know your not leaving yourself any room for errors like that flying in those cramped quarters. Your hover skills are good but what else can you do there but more of the same or hit the house next time? It looked like you lost tail with full rudder not working and started some mad 3D moves with the cyclic stick too just before hitting the tree instead of just landing in the pirouette so if you take it to the local flying field you can get into some forward flight, learn autos and you can relax more if it starts to fly around a bit. In the open both sticks forward is the prefered panic move get her nose down into forward flight and climb out to collect yourself and go around for another try at the landing. There was some audio mal function on that video after the crash too, check your mic plug that beeping was really annoying. Your next door neigbours must think your going nuts with the weed wacker mine would call the police on me if they saw a flying chain saw over the fence LOL.

I've got 5 tanks thru mine now too and just having a blast with it ready for some forward flight now that it's semi broken in. Hooked up the telemetry on mine last flight and reading engine temp 277 in the hover at 5ft and rx voltage 4.9v in the air on the DX8.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:29 AM
Joined Feb 2010
136 Posts
UPDATE well got parts yesterday, but ???

they forgot my FLYBAR??????so no flying this week,
i cant wait to re-enact what happend.........without the crash.....LOL, i also took a ride to boston to get nitro, by buying a case i got it for 18 bucks a gallon, but ill have to play with the jets again, caz ill be going from 15% to 20%....
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
676 Posts
Stupid ideas....

1. Taking off from a picnic table.
2. Thinking that you are going to trap VAPORIZED oil in a plastic bottle.
3. Thinking that the plastic bottle will resist the heat of the exhaust.
4. If you are taking off from the table, why are you worrying about the grass?
5. Turning the receiver off, while the engine was running, to "initialize" the gyro.
6. Flying in such a confined space while still learning.

I think that's it for now. For your gyro problems, I suggest that you get your engine tuned properly. Seek help from a local experienced pilot. I bet the "oil / grass" problems that you imagine will become less of a problem as a properly tuned engine will produce a little less smoke. And voila! you just took care of two problems by properly addressing the learning experience.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:24 PM
Joined Feb 2010
136 Posts
Wow he's really mean!!!!!!!

im not gonna play no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:52 PM
Joined Dec 2005
584 Posts
CR, Most guys won't admit to their mistakes and your displaying them on dual video so expect to take some flack if your not flying over Germany in a B-17! Thanks for sharing with us... I ordered an extra flybar from tower last time I bought from them so I will never need it, that's the rule anyway. Got into some forward flight this weekend with mine and discovered the throttle really chops decending so I got into the throttle curve in flight mode 1 today and brought up the 25 and 50% to 60 and 65% now it is easier to go up and down without the engine sputtering. I have a weird sideways shake going on too, not sure what it is yet the blades are tracking fine but they are the stock woodies I have some carbon blades I will try next time and see if that fixes it.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:15 AM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzroy View Post
im not gonna play no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hold on; I'm reiterating your own title and providing you hints for a better learning experience and you call me mean? I provided you with pointers to help you with your gyro problem which is more thatn most people have done to date. Compare the number of hits (views) that you've gotten with the number of replies. Most of the people are writing you off as an idiot and walking away. At least I'm providing some feedback. It may not be sugar coated, but that is how I am. I do not expect you to like me.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc