HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:27 AM
Clueless but learning
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
124 Posts
Question
How do you guys carry your gear?

I'm a rank newb that's trying to learn - please bear with me. I just got a Champ but with the addition of a DX6i I can't do the all-in-one-box thing.

I've always seen gas guys using range boxes or rollaround toolboxes, but they have a lot more junk to transport. What are people here using to haul their gear around?

I'm thinking something sized for a TX, some basic tools, a few spare parts, a portable charger and extra batteries.

Thanks!
HeavyDuty is offline Find More Posts by HeavyDuty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:04 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
I have a TX case for my 2 TX's (I buddy box/teach) and I use a metal tool case from Lowes as my spare parts/tool case. I use a second one for lipos.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:10 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
I liked this box when I was new, but it's not good for the bigger batteries I'm using now...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJBU2&P=0

But really, you don't need stuff like that - just use aircraft boxes and regular tool boxes which are cheaper.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:02 PM
Clueless but learning
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
124 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I'll have to look around for TX cases - that's the one I'm most worried about right now.
HeavyDuty is offline Find More Posts by HeavyDuty
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:26 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
JR makes 2 versions... a single TX case and a double. Both have pre-cut foam inserts to protect the TX. I have the double and it has two smaller opening that can hold a couple of 3s 2200 lipos each and has a few predrilled holes for holding small screw drivers.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:01 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia Province, Sofia
Joined Dec 2010
352 Posts
Hi mate,

For the Tx you will definitely need a special Tx case if you'd like it to be kept clean and mostly - safe ! I carry mine around without a case and I kinda dislike that. Anyway, what I use for the tools is this:

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0...=1221728779000

A simply, plastic toolbox. It's light, costs like $5-$10 probably and you can pick a size most of the time depending on your needs. You will definitely find a huge variety if you go to one of those Kmart/wallmart (sorry don't really know which your retail chains are ) stores where they have great deals for everything.

I was looking around for a proper Field Box in the beginning but then I was shocked to find out that the price for what I was offered in my location was around $160. Pff **** that - I went to the first Wallmart type-o-store and bought the first plastic toolbox for $10 I could find and it works no less than perfect That is, if you just want to carry your stuff around in an organized manner. I'm sure that the proper field boxes have their percs but ... come on
trbst is offline Find More Posts by trbst
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
A fishing tackle box works great.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:45 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
in this bag.
Tx. fits perfect inside.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:15 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I usually take a few planes into the flying area and like to do it in one trip, so I put everything else in a backpack. That way it leaves my hands free to carry more planes.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:38 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I use a metal case for the Tx. and big tackle box for all my gear.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
I'm going to make a case for my tx out of... sommething... and a big tackle box for gear/
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:39 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777 View Post
I usually take a few planes into the flying area and like to do it in one trip, so I put everything else in a backpack. That way it leaves my hands free to carry more planes.
Same here.

I use an old Targus notebook computer shoulder case. The main notebook pouch holds my molded foam insert for the DX6i perfectly. I use the front pouch for a few tools, tape and spare batteries.

In one trip, I can carry the shoulder case, Champ box, UM T-28 box and my Stryker (so thin and light I can hold it the same hand I'm holding the UM T-28 box).
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Mar 2011
288 Posts
I don't know where I found it, but I use an aluminum brief case with dividers to carry transmitter, batteries and some tape and tools (battery meter, etc.). There are similar boxes for generic camera equipment, etc. Although, I also now use a plastic parts box to keep small spare parts and props separated.
efflandt is offline Find More Posts by efflandt
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:32 PM
mostly newbie
United States, CO, Centennial
Joined May 2011
263 Posts
I got a $3 toolbox from Goodwill for my R/C truck parts and I hand carry the truck and tx. The Champ is all stock. I just hand carry the SkyFly and tx. I am kinda cheap, so will hold off on any fancy boxes or whatever else until I can't stand the inconvenience anymore or I can't stand the clutter of transmitters in the garage.
shimniok is offline Find More Posts by shimniok
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
USA, AL, Odenville
Joined Jun 2010
56 Posts
I used a pistol case I had and cut out some foam for my dx6i. It works great
tankreefer is offline Find More Posts by tankreefer