HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:30 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Build Log
Balsa Building Bonanza!

Hey guys, hows it going? All is good here, and lately I've been thinking about making a micro balsa and covering model. I was thinking about this for a while in nitro-powered guise (Cox .049) but that got earmarked for another project and I'm going electric for this one. It'll be called the 'Electric Canary', and is based on the popular '1/8A LaStick' plans here on the site - draw up by Dave Fritzke and Gene Rock.

There will be a few main differences in this model from the one that they designed. Notably, mine will not be a high-wing plane. It will have a low wing for sportsplane type control and agility. The other main change is that it will be roughly an 80% scale version of the LaStick, with an 18"/450mm wingspan in lieu of the Stick's 21.5"/550mm span. This should make for a lively little parkflyer thats a bit different from the usual small balsa model.

The thing that remains the least changed is the wing, although thats not particularly saying much.

It still has the same basic construction, although the stringers are very much simplified and are from the same stock for leading/trailing edges and the top and bottom, too. Some formers were left leading edge only to save weight, and at this scale the leading sections are uneccassary. The airfoil is the same as the original and the chord/span ratio is also the same. One other change I made was to put profiled tips on as it was as simple as cutting some extra foils, and lends a much classier look to the finished wing... or at least I reckon it does, anyway.

The fuselage is, again, a significant depature from the 'Stick. Topmount wing was replaced for bottom, requiring some decent contours to be cut into the lower fuselage. The length and rear taper were designed to closely follow the orginal plans at 80% scale, although the top was left level for a more classic monoplane look. Think 1920's~30's and you're on the money. It will most likely take some lightening holes as I further construction as the projected weight needs to be under 4oz/115g. Pictures upon completion.

The power system for this little fellow is going to be a 10g Hextronic 2000kv outrunner with GWS 5x3 prop, giving around 4.5oz/125g of thrust. ESC is going to be a HK 'Super Simple' 8A unit, battery a 350mAh 2s Flightmax lipo, receiver a caseless dual-antenna DSM2 compatible 6ch, and servos HK 'MiniMan' 4.3g units. Basic, cheap and light.

Any input or advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts