Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:40 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Build Log
Doozy

Hey I guess I'll start a Build thread.

Been flying for a few years, lots of experience with helicopters, airplanes, and even a powered parachute. Never had an auto-gyro but I've always wanted one. But there really aren't any ARF auto-gyros that have a really good reputation.

Enter my first ever build thread. Not only will this be my first auto-gyro, this is also the first balsa kit I've ever built, and the first aircraft I've ever covered completely. Although I have done my share of repairing.

I wanted a full bodied fuselage, from a vendor with a good reputation for kit quality as well as flying quality once completed. Several years ago I got the idea to get a PT-25 and modify it for electric flight, but I never really got into it since the majority of my aircraft are smaller and my batteries are all smaller. When the Doozy came out, the size was perfect for what I already have.

I have a Turnigy SK 3530-1100, which is pretty equivalent to a Park 480, Turnigy Plush 40a ESC, and I plan to use a 10x7 prop which should get around 275 watts I would imagine. Batteries will be 3s 2200mah Turnigy packs that just barely fit in the battery compartment of the Doozy. For controls I have a pair of HS-82MGs for the cyclic and an HS-65MG for the rudder. I use a Futaba radio so I have a 6 channel R-6106HFC for a receiver.

Kit contents are very complete, quality of the wood and factory cuts seem plenty adequate, and the directions are very good. So far I have not hit any snags other than running out of thin CA.

I went off plan for the bolts that hold the pylon hatch to the fuse. I do not have the required tap to tap the blocks where the nylon screws go, so I just used some blind nuts and cap screws. I also went ahead and added magnets to the hatch rather than use the supplied screws. I know you builders are laughing at me, but there was much anxiety involved in going off plan.

I think the next step is to start assembling the head, which is a relief. I just covered the pylon and I'm not looking forward to doing more covering. Very thankful I don't have a huge wing to cover.

I will add some pics, and hopefully add some more as I progress and hopefully some shots in flight at some point. The club's summer funfly is in 3 weeks and I plan to have this complete and flown by then.

-Jay
CyberJay is online now Find More Posts by CyberJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:04 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Cool! Looks like it pieces together pretty fast! Keep us posted!

I still fly my PT 1/2a gyro from flyingbalsa!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:38 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Made a little more progress tonight. I'm going to be lazy and leave the gimbal (Hmm, Chrome thinks that's a misspelled word) unpainted. There's always the chance that this thing will die a horrible death on it's maiden. I'm not going to bust my butt making it look perfect just so I can trash it learning to fly it.

Anyway, more Monocote. I like Ultracote better, but I had these two rolls of Monocote.

So, need to finish the tail, mount some servos, and do some covering. And mount the motor. Feels like it's getting pretty close. Maybe finish it up next weekend.

-Jay
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:07 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Great Job:

Hi cyberjay:

Great job on the Doozy. Nice little AG and flies as well as they look.
Attached is a pic of mine. Just blow my message away after you look at it if you wish. Just wanted you to hear from another satisfied Doozy guy.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceeveecee View Post
Hi cyberjay:

Great job on the Doozy. Nice little AG and flies as well as they look.
Attached is a pic of mine. Just blow my message away after you look at it if you wish. Just wanted you to hear from another satisfied Doozy guy.

Tom
I like what you did with the rudder servo. I've been planning about what to do when I determine the thing is nose heavy. I assume it will be since the battery is a little on the heavy side for what this motor really needs. Also like the dude in the cockpit. Nice addition.

I don't care for the noisy thing on the front though..

-Jay
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Looking good Jay! Keep up the good work!

And don't forget that hang angle thing! Don't worry too much about the weight in the nose (battery)....1/4 oz on the tail will fix anything!

Joe
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:44 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Fuel Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
I like what you did with the rudder servo. I've been planning about what to do when I determine the thing is nose heavy. I assume it will be since the battery is a little on the heavy side for what this motor really needs. Also like the dude in the cockpit. Nice addition.

I don't care for the noisy thing on the front though..

-Jay
Hi Jay:

Thanks for the comments on my Doozy.

Yeah I know electric is a movment that's time has come but I just can't get into it, been breathing nitro fumes too long I guess. I fly 4-strokes except for 1/2-A stuff and there is no electric made to compare with the sound. Take a look at my Eindecker I maidened two weeks ago, cowl off and flying wires not on for the maiden.

Building a DAG-2 with another "noisy thing", YS 91FZ Supercharged.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:47 PM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Oct 2007
489 Posts
Hee, the Doozy is a realy nice little gyro. I built mine using wood glue and it's a tank, extremely strong which was lucky as I was a little hard on her on the maiden flight.

Got a pic and a video here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=176130

Video shows the trials and tribulations of getting it off the ground that first time. But I can get it in the air 9 times out of 10 with no fuss now. Also, learned how to fly it SLOW like it should be flown rather than like a regular plane...

Just be totally "on" the rudder as you are spooling up going down the runway, the tail goes this way and that way during different phases of the spool up (and our odd wind pattern at the field). Just be ready to make corrections!
LAdams is offline Find More Posts by LAdams
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Decals!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:48 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdams View Post
Hee, the Doozy is a realy nice little gyro. I built mine using wood glue and it's a tank, extremely strong which was lucky as I was a little hard on her on the maiden flight.

Got a pic and a video here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=176130

Video shows the trials and tribulations of getting it off the ground that first time. But I can get it in the air 9 times out of 10 with no fuss now. Also, learned how to fly it SLOW like it should be flown rather than like a regular plane...

Just be totally "on" the rudder as you are spooling up going down the runway, the tail goes this way and that way during different phases of the spool up (and our odd wind pattern at the field). Just be ready to make corrections!
I want you to know, your video helped sell me on the Doozy. I found it on my own before my purchase. The fact that it fell over so many times, then had that crash at the end and seemed to be functional after was a really nice "feature."

I haven't made any progress since the last pictures I posted, but I am still very excited to get it in the air. I can fly helicopters, and I use rudder regularly when I fly fixed wing, so I think I will probably be ok with the Doozy. I guess we'll see.

-Jay
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:54 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
LAdams,
Really enjoyed your video. My Doozy has been one tough bird. Last time I got the nose pointed down too far and could not pull up. Planted it hard. Damaged not too badly. Easy to repair also. Got to finish recovering it.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:52 PM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Oct 2007
489 Posts
Hee hee, cool

I should put one up of me flying it proper now. It's so fun in a little head wind, you can fly it down to practically a stand still. People love to see it do a vertical landing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:15 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Covering is done. It could look better, but it could look a lot worse too. I'm pretty happy with it. The scheme is pretty simple, but at least it's not all one color. And most importantly it wasn't very difficult.

So, now I need to mount some servos which I will probably continue on in an hour or two. Then balance the head then balance the entire aircraft.

I could have it all done by Monday I think.

-Jay
Old Jul 03, 2011, 06:05 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
Sometimes simple is the best. BTW you could add some red stripes on the white, and some white stars on the blue, and you'd be fitting in for Monday as well.

Looking Good,
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Looks great Jay!

Have fun with your maiden!
Joe
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:12 AM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Oct 2007
489 Posts
Don't get frustrated with the maiden either. I kind of did, I must have flopped over 8 times before I got a good hop Taking off is just... different... takes a few tries to get the hang of it. So don't worry
RCG Plus Member